AMD CPU stuck underneath cooler

konstantinos2424

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Hello,
I have a question that hasn't been completely answered yet. I have an AMD CPU and the first time I decide to clean my PC, I faced the following problem. When I took the CPU stock cooler off the CPU came out, too. The CPU was damaged and wouldn't post. The second time I decided to take the cooler off with new AMD CPU same thing happened. After I managed to unstuck the CPU from the cooler with quite a lot of force like it was glued or something and fixed two pins that were bent and the CPU would work again (I was lucky).

So, the question is..how the heck do you take the cooler out without the CPU coming out, too?

In the near future I plan to clean my PC again and change thermal paste. I would like to hear your suggestions and find a solution as I want to put my new thermal paste on a CPU this time! :p

P.S. The second time I tried running the CPU for a few seconds without the cooler before I take it out..and...nothing happened

Thank you!

#1 It usually takes years for TIM to dry out to that level of difficulty removing the heat sink. (Solution change your TIM about every 6 months to a year at the most)

#2 With AMD use a slight counterclockwise and clockwise twisting motion on the heat sink itself to loosen the TIM bond between the heat sink and CPU, (You can actually do this with the heat sink still clamped in place), before ever pulling upward on the heat sink cooler make sure the TIM bond is broken.

#3 Never, ever, ever, run your computer without a heat sink on the CPU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

konstantinos2424

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
1. The first time I had not change the paste for 3 years, the second time after 1 year.
2. Twisting the heat sink never worked for me. And believe me I twisted it at least 100 times in order to feel comfortable to push it a little.
3. I just boot to the BIOS unplugged the power cable of the heat sink and when the CPU reached 45 degrees celsius I turned the PC off.

chuffingknutt

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
other than ryans suggestion thats all I can think off, I've never had a cpu paste go that dry and hard. you can use some slight force but not much. this might be a bit extreme but I would use car mechanics feeler gauges and use the thinest gauge to try and slice through the paste point on while twisting the cooler.

btw i've used over the counter stock paste and it's junk coupled with bad over the counter advise it's even worse, I've been told to smear it all over the cpu cover, other shops have told me to use the x method. I managed to get my hands own noctuas own paste, single dot right in the centre and thats it. It's brilliant stuff. If you see it grab it.

konstantinos2424

Reputable
Feb 21, 2015
Using force resulted in having the CPU stuck underneath the cooler. I realized how crappy the stock paste is. Also this problem is one of the reasons that made me decide to go with an Intel build in the near future! The funny thing is that I used a screwdriver to unstuck the CPU from the cooler after 30 minutes applying soft pressure, nothing happened. In the end I ended up with a stuck CPU and a bent screwdriver! :p

chuffingknutt

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
a car mechanics feeler gauges they're used to adjust clearances (the gap) in tappets and spark plugs. Like an artists pallet knife but far thinner in varying thicknesses. They're made from high tensile steel and not prone to bending meaning you can wiggle them and dig into awkward small gaps. Know the old straightened paper clip as an emergency cd drawer opener? you've to think along the same lines think out of the box and the answer will come. honestly I would use feeler gauges.