[SOLVED] AMD CPU Upgrade - 3700X vs 3900x vs next generation

SamF18

Reputable
Apr 5, 2016
Hello everyone!

I know this question has been asked time and time again, and I'm sorry for bringing it back up just for my case.
Currently, I have a 1700x on an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X370. I also have 16GB of Corsair RAM rated for 3000 MHz (which I never managed to get to that speed btw, I think it's at 2133MHz atm).
My GPU is an RTX 2080 if that matters.

I feel like it's about time for an upgrade. However, I do not want to change my motherboard at this point (that's one of the reasons I picked a 1700x a few years ago). I can see multiple options:
  1. Buy a 3700X for $270 (or hopefully $250 as it was three days ago) + 16 GB of the same RAM I already have (that would be a 4 stick configuration)
  2. Buy a 3700x + 32GB of other, better RAM (recommendations welcome)
  3. Buy a 3900x only ($389 at the time of writing this)
  4. Wait for the next generation (October 2020?) and
    1. Buy just 16GB of the same RAM
    2. Buy just 32GB of new RAM (recommendations welcome)
  5. Do nothing and be happy I have a computer that works well.
Of course, I don't know if the new generation will arrive in October, and if it'll be a significant improvement compared to the current gen. The more I wait, the less I can sell my 1700x for, so I need to take that into consideration. Ideally, I'd like to be good for the next two years, and then I'll buy a new mobo and CPU.
Current usage is mostly gaming (at 3440x1440 and 4k) and some video editing (nothing close to professional though). In terms of games, we like Cities Skyline, which is quite demanding in terms of CPU. I also do a decent amount of VR.

Thanks for reading! All recommendations and advice welcome.

Solution
Hello everyone!

I know this question has been asked time and time again, and I'm sorry for bringing it back up just for my case.
Currently, I have a 1700x on an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon X370. I also have 16GB of Corsair RAM rated for 3000 MHz (which I never managed to get to that speed btw, I think it's at 2133MHz atm).

I feel like it's about time for an upgrade. However, I do not want to change my motherboard at this point (that's one of the reasons I picked a 1700x a few years ago). I can see multiple options:
  1. Buy a 3700X for $270 (or hopefully $250 as it was three days ago) + 16 GB of the same RAM I already have (that would be a 4 stick configuration)
  2. Buy a 3700x + 32GB of other...
Hello everyone!

2. Buy a 3700x + 32GB of other, better RAM (recommendations welcome)
  3. Buy a 3900x only ($389 at the time of writing this)
  4. Wait for the next generation (October 2020?) and
    1. Buy just 16GB of the same RAM
    2. Buy just 32GB of new RAM (recommendations welcome)
  5. Do nothing and be happy I have a computer that works well.
Of course, I don't know if the new generation will arrive in October, and if it'll be a significant improvement compared to the current gen. The more I wait, the less I can sell my 1700x for, so I need to take that into consideration. Ideally, I'd like to be good for the next two years, and then I'll buy a new mobo and CPU.
Current usage is mostly gaming (at 3440x1440 and 4k) and some video editing (nothing close to professional though). In terms of games, we like Cities Skyline, which is quite demanding in terms of CPU. I also do a decent amount of VR.

Thanks for reading! All recommendations and advice welcome.
First thing, there's no hope for Ryzen 4000 on that MB and chipset, so that's off unless getting new MB (some b450 , most x470 and all b550/x570 MBs)
RAM, 16GB (2x8GB) is quite enough and will be for few years as gaming is concerned but again because of your MB and chipset it will be limited to 3000 to 3200MHz, just have to tune it properly.
That leaves the best option to upgrade to R5 3600(x) or even R7 3700x because of more cores, for games 3600 would be about same. That should help with RAM frequency as well.

Reactions: GarrettL
Solution