AMD: CPUs, GPUs, Layoffs and Our Enemy

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
@ OP...
Did you have a point to make?

I think for Tom's to say AMD is "Our Enemy" shows the new owners have thier heads up their ass.
Perhaps I misread it?

G

"and it could sell off its upcoming Luther Park fab, or at least part of it, which is being subsidized to the tune of $1.1-billion by the government of New York state."

Why do people keep saying this? There is no fab and no equipment there - all they can sell is 49% of an option to the subsidy. I'm tired of wannabe financial analysts thinking well a fab is in the 3-5Bil rang so they could get 1.5-2.5Bil for it... only one problem: AMD has not yet spent a single dime on the fab shell or any of the equipment so what is the prospective buyer actually purchasing? (access to the subsidy and/or fab process IP) Any money AMD would take in from this 'sale' might go to, I don't know, actually building the fab?

I have a lot that I plan to build a 2Mil dollar home on - would you like to give me 1Mil for 50% owenrship of it? Yeah, I know right now it's just tumbleweeds but it'll be great real soon! Of course the 1 Mil you give me now is worth a lot more than the 1Mil in future dollars when the home is actually built... but we'll just assume zero inflation (or that you have no concept of what inflation and NPV is). I'm just going to use that 1mil to pay down some personal debts, but once I clear those I should be able to raise some cash to build it...

If you look at this financially in terms of NPV AMD would be lucky to get 70cents on the dollar for something that isn't built yet. This thing would not be online until at least 2011-2012 and you are talking about the NPV over quite a few years. So with this perspective - how much of the debt you think they can clear with this?

"We think that if and once AMD gets its act together, exciting products can come out of the company."

Doesn't AMD getting it's act together kind of imply that they will have exciting products? Or do you think AMD can get its act together with dull, boring products? You think AMD can turn things around purely with the 'good enough' marketing campaign?

"Rather than combating this threat, AMD is so focused on cash and is losing so many key people that it has not come up with a credible counter-stroke for Larrabee"

You say this as if AMD has an actual option to do anything different - with no cash and layoffs, how exactly do you expect them to fund this monetarily and resource-wise?

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
He's a THG employee who's just opening up a discussion thread for the article. Looks like you get to ride too.

bgd73

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
I love to babble a comment... Amd has been like a quick growing kid that adds adolescent insanity (at times..I have purchased it), but I must say, ATI graphics with a looser mentality than the rock chips we know as durable, has always been my favorite. AVIVO alone as a world standard would bail everything out (I am not joking).696mb encoding in 1 minute and 24 seconds has my main purpose for a pc interest peakek more than my torture of the past decade trying all brands of "everything". As a regular low budget person using this stuff, why doesn't comon sense stay in the AMD companies?

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]spongebob[/nom]He's a THG employee who's just opening up a discussion thread for the article. Looks like you get to ride too.[/citation]

I know he is a THG employee. I was making the point that this topic has been discussed very thoroughly. Maybe THG employees could spend less time writing articles about news from four or five months ago and perhaps, oh, I don't know.....update their graphics cards charts?

Looks like we got another winner for the clue train!

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
The author makes a description of AMD and points out that the same could be said of Intel not that long ago. While this is mostly true it differs in one key point, Intel has only ever lost money in one finical year(1986) back when it was still a memory chip maker.

Even in the depths of the Netburst debacle when AMD's chips were clearly superior and squeezing Intel's margins and taking market share they never lost money. They might have had unhappy investors but they didn't lose money.

This article could almost have been written back before Q4 06(like when the last time AMD made a profit), the story hasn't changed much in the last ~20 months. In fact, if anything, the story has gotten worse.

ajsellaroli

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
That was a great article - very interesting and informative. I sure hope AMD is listening - I'd love for them to take your advice.

Great job on the article once again Tom

MTLance

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]bull2760[/nom]Get rid of Hector Ruiz!!!![/citation]I have to agree with that too no one is even listening to me kicking Hector Ruiz outta way will make AMD better.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Great article! I totally agree with the OP. After AMD had such a great success with Athlon XP, AMD 64 and AMD X2, they simply sat down and let the cash flow in. While Intel was getting its a$$ served, it spent a crap load of money developing its new offerings, which is exactly what AMD HAS to do now...it's sad to see this happen to them just because they were lazy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS