AMD Crossfire System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoviceCompGuy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Nice cases. I like the coolermaster and will get that one instead.

Though I do have a couple more questions.

1. Is there no noticeable difference in the read speed of a burner as compared to a reader (DVD) in both cases?

2. Also a minor change here, but will the floppy drive in one of these things work with the Mobo in this build?

SIIG JU-91RW12-S4 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader/Write + Floppy - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815150058

I like the coolermaster, but will continue to look at others as well. I really liked the Mobo foldout section of the Raidmax, but that is definately not a sole selling point. More and bigger fans would have to win hands down, not to mention the noise.

Maybe you'd like the Antec 300, that's also very popular.

About question #1 - I can't really say, I haven't owned a plain DVD-ROM in 5 years and don't really know how well they do these days. I have two burners, an LG and a Plextor. Each of them can write a full 4.3 GB DVD+R disk in 7 minutes and copy it back to the HDD in about 12 minutes. (I know because I write them on one drive and copy them back with the other to verify the burn :) )

BTW, LG makes excellent burners, but they're even better if you use Media Code Speed Edit on them. Google it, it's worth it.

NoviceCompGuy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Yeah, that was what I thought about the floppy drive device, but one of the reviews I read said that in order for the floppy to work you needed a mobo that supported. Even if the rest worked they implied that the floppy might not.

Not that it really matters(don't have much use for an A drive), I was just curious.

james49

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009

i just put in an asus m4a79 delux, with a phenom II x4 940 black, iam only getting a core speed of about 800 mhz, i havent oced yet, and am running a single hd radon 4870, its working fine and he preformance over my old 9800gtx+ is very noticeable. i want to add another 4800 512 in crossfire is this better or go with the hd4870x2?

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
thats because it has gone into C&Q mode so it can save energy.

edit: also on the subject on 4830 CF vs 4850 CF, it depends on how well they scale more than power and as far as I can tell, 800x2 cores does not scale aswell as 640x2 cores.

lowtiercomputer

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I am building almost the same build and was wondering if any motherboard with 2 pci-e ports could run crossfire as long as both were at least x8....?

I was also wondering if anyone knows why when I installed a
Gigabyte 4_30 (can't remember the middle number 7 or 8) why it disabled my onboard sound and if anyone knows how I can fix it.
thx

Sorry, I can't, because it differs with each motherboard type.

Do you have an "Advanced features" screen in the BIOS? Anyway, look at all the BIOS screens and see if anything is about sound.

Is there anything about it in the motherboard's manual?

You could also e-mail Support at Asus or Gigabyte or whoever made your MB. It's probably something they've already seen a lot.

lowtiercomputer

Distinguished
May 11, 2009

Actually, I'm sorry to be a bit of a flop, but I'm really new to all this. What I'm trying to say is I don't know what you mean by BIOS.

If you tell me where to find it, I'm sure I could figure it out.

lowtiercomputer

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Thank you so much, I figured out what you were talking about (during teh boot-up). Well anyway, my sound works great now thanks to you.

TRENDING THREADS