AMD Cuts Its Workforce by 10% to Fund New Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Thats not good.[/citation]
Doesn't necessarily mean that the company is in trouble, restructurings can happen without problems, i think this is a good move, it'll help with the research and development costs to get the extra edge against intel whose budget is a behemoth compared to AMD

G

I hope they start with the people who pushed the Faildozer module design.

beenthere

Distinguished
AMD's board wants to be in all appliances and while there may be some growth there for AMD, I doubt it's a high potential revenue stream for them. The head count reduction is to appease Wall Street types.

I wouldn't read too much into this PR other than Read is trying to convince Wall Street that good things lay ahead for AMD financially, which bumps share price and executive stock value.

The doomsayers can relax as AMD isn't going anywhere and will continue to deliver the products that consumers desire.

Actually trimming the fat is probably what the company needs right now. They as a company have actually been doing better in all phases except for high end desktop CPUs over the last six months. They have become profitable, there's no reason to think that the company is dead because they have to give up the enthusiast processor market.

[citation][nom]beenthere[/nom]...The doomsayers can relax as AMD isn't going anywhere and will continue to deliver the products that consumers desire.[/citation]

Yeah, AMD is going to be fine even if they aren't focusing their energies in the direction you or I would like. They've been making the best integrated graphics solution for a couple of years now and that's a big deal for OEMs.

Energy96

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
Looks like the price of Intel CPU's will probably skyrocket in the future now that AMD admits it cannot compete and is dropping out totally. Lack of competition sucks but there is no one to blame other than the execs at AMD that keep churning out garbage. I really hope they sell off their graphics division, if Nvidia had no competition either it would be a really sad day.

Pretty fail IMO but what did they expect that people would just buy them anyway even if they suck? In today's internet savvy market inferior products don't have a chance. In the past you could mask the fail with really good marketing strategies but that just doesn't cut it anymore. Especially in electronics, people are in most cases just way too well informed to fall for it and there aren't enough fan-boys to keep a company that size afloat by themselves.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Dekasav[/nom]And here's AMD dropping out of the high-performance race.RIP[/citation]

besides the p4 era, were they ever in the high performance area? i thought they were always a decent alternative area and good low cost.

and again, i say wait till windows 8 and revision 1 of bulldozer to pass judgement. because it will be what, a year, year and a half till intel ships its new design, i cant see ivy bridge doing much besides saving power and gaining 5-10% performance boost.

G

Gotta keep those executive bonuses going. To hell with the people who make and buy the product they make.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Good idea. AMD doesn't have the resoruces or the money to keep up with Intel in the high performance cpu market. Take what is working good for you now and use it to your advantage. Don't spread yourself out and lose money on products you simply can't keep up with. The automotive industry learnt this the hard way when automboile companies like GM spreaded themselves out beyond their means.

jdwii

Splendid
Looks like the price of Intel CPU's will probably skyrocket in the future now that AMD admits it cannot compete and is dropping out totally. Lack of competition sucks but there is no one to blame other than the execs at AMD that keep churning out garbage. I really hope they sell off their graphics division, if Nvidia had no competition either it would be a really sad day.

Pretty fail IMO but what did they expect that people would just buy them anyway even if they suck? In today's internet savvy market inferior products don't have a chance. In the past you could mask the fail with really good marketing strategies but that just doesn't cut it anymore. Especially in electronics, people are in most cases just way too well informed to fall for it and there aren't enough fan-boys to keep a company that size afloat by themselves.

God you guys act like Amd cpu's are so bad no one can use them. Who really needs a I5 and a 6990 anyway that's right 3% of the whole world and below. If you guys haven't noticed Amd took 3% of Intel's market share already this Q in just APU's. Don't get me wrong i wanted BD to be good but its not the end of the world for Amd. I'm not saying they don't have worry's i'm just saying they will survive and their APU's will only get better and better. And lets face it consumers are using GPU's more and more anyways and more programs are going to be using them soon as well.

jdwii

Splendid
Good idea. AMD doesn't have the resoruces or the money to keep up with Intel in the high performance cpu market. Take what is working good for you now and use it to your advantage. Don't spread yourself out and lose money on products you simply can't keep up with. The automotive industry learnt this the hard way when automboile companies like GM spreaded themselves out beyond their means

Especially when where less then 5% of the market. They need to work on efficiency and improving their graphics that's where they should compete. And just think the more money they make on APU's the more money they have on improving their CPU's and GPU's and in return make a even better APU.

Status
Not open for further replies.