AMD Cutting GPU Prices Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
ATI, you just won another couple of sales. Every card in my house is nvidia, but, with the exception of my 3dvision rig, it doesnt make much sense not to buy ATI; they have price/performance, hands down.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hoefully Afox will follow suit with their 7850 Single slot. $300 after shipping was just a bit much for my little mini ITX gaming system.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
I kind of wonder what the profit margins are on GPUs. With all these aggressive price cuts I'd almost think they're selling these cards at a loss.

bribo

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Not complaining, but why are they doing this? AMD was already the better buy at nearly every price level.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]ATI, you just won another couple of sales. Every card in my house is nvidia, but, with the exception of my 3dvision rig, it doesnt make much sense not to buy ATI; they have price/performance, hands down.[/citation]

Which is why AMD paid 6 billion Dollars for them :p

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]bribo[/nom]Not complaining, but why are they doing this? AMD was already the better buy at nearly every price level.[/citation]

HD8k GPUs are coming in December, I guess. or surplus GPUs

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]Which is why AMD paid 6 billion Dollars for them[/citation]

Lol, i typically type amd, but in my mind that cards are still ATI.

With the exception of APU's, AMD procs just cant compete; in the interest of all of our wallets, i hope Piledriver owns.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I have a 7950 and have been very happy with it. I bought it back in March when they were quite a bit more expensive. The performance may be a tad behind Nvidia, but what I won't complain about are the drivers. My friends with Nvidia cards have gotten unhandled c++ runtime exceptions from time to time. I haven't had a single problem. Overall, I'm a happy customer.

Borisblade7

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
after seeing the latest benchmarks. AMD has the best performance at every price point hands down, normally its close but not anymore. Nvidia clearly won the last generation and thats why i bought my 580, but this one looks to be goin to AMD with far better pricing and still getting top notch performance.

[citation][nom]jackbling[/nom]Lol, i typically type amd, but in my mind that cards are still ATI. With the exception of APU's, AMD procs just cant compete; in the interest of all of our wallets, i hope Piledriver owns.[/citation]

Did you ever hear of the CPU/NB frequency and PSCheck? The CPU/NB frequency controls (among other things) the L3 cache frequency and overclocking it significantly has a substantial effect on performance per core per Hz of the CPU frequency. Using PSCheck to cut-down on the second core fo each module lets the fist core mroe or less get the front end all to itself, another significant performance per core per Hz boost at a given CPU clock frequency.

FX can almsot match SB and can easily make up for the now minor loss in performance per Hz per core with significantly higher frequencies. The FX-81xx CPUs can easily hang with even the K edition i5s and i7s in OC versus OC, greatly because of the PSCheck configuration being able to make the second core of each module either be disabled (using roughly zero power) or run at very low clock frequencies/voltage and thus very low power when not running all eight cores at load.

AMD's CPUs can compete quite well, you just havr to know how to use them. AMD obviously doesn't know how to set up their CPUs properly, so it's no surprise that most people (even within the tech communities) don't know of this either.

[citation][nom]devotiecon[/nom]Now only if there can be this kind of competition with CPUs...[/citation]

Look at my above post and consider the fact that the FX-8120 could then keep up with even the top i7 K editions in quad and eight-threaded performance if it is configured properly. The i7s just happen to be about double the price, so if you ignore the fact that AMD doesn't have a clue about configuring their CPUs, the vallue to enthusiasts could make the i5s and i7s look like Extreme Editions in comparison.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Speaking of gpus and talking on tne mobile side, they should make the 7970m at the price of a 670m because thats where the performance is at without a AMD unified driver, any enduro support and enduro cripples ppls performance on all laptops. ppl who are fine dont know how to see their gpu utilization simply.

louiecog

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
[citation][nom]dontcrosthestreams[/nom]man!! I paid 229 for an ice q HIS 7850 2gb. 1 and a half months later I can get a 7870 for 240. Shaking my fist!![/citation]
Time to Crossfire!

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Figures, timing is everything. I just bough a 7870 (still in transit) for $196 shipped after a $20 rebate and then another $30 off for Sleeping Dogs being sold, but it's only a $10 price drop so I guess I can live with that. If it was another drop like the previous $50, I'd be doing the same as dontcrossthestreams above. I have to say though, the new 7950 price looks REALLY tempting now as well, but I still cannot swallow the 7970 price tag nor any card for the performance offered for that price - period.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]I kind of wonder what the profit margins are on GPUs. With all these aggressive price cuts I'd almost think they're selling these cards at a loss.[/citation]

I believe the manufacture and raw materials are quite cheap compared to the gpu final price. Even after all these cuts.
Research costs are high, not only on architecture but on new process aswell. Thats a reason for the high prices specially on high end hardware.

Altough I wouldn't be surprised if the lower end gpus are sold at a loss.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]LaHawzel[/nom]I kind of wonder what the profit margins are on GPUs. With all these aggressive price cuts I'd almost think they're selling these cards at a loss.[/citation]
AMD IS selling these at a loss, just to get them out the door. :-( My HD5770 needs replacing soon, I'm waiting for the 8XXX to drop TDP even lower.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Thanks AMD for making it easier to boycott nVidia. So long as PhysX is still around forcing physics calculations on video cards while my CPU stays at 50% usage or less, I will not buy any nVidia product, or any game that supports PhysX (Borderlands 2 for example, no matter how good it is, won't buy it)

Status
Not open for further replies.