AMD Cutting Prices of its Radeon HD GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"The 7970 could decline slightly from 4429 to $399".. That's one hell of a price drop! :D

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
when directX 12 comes out, i will pick one of those high end DX11 cards for cheap.
nice to see the drop though, but i dont really see a reason to buy a new card until the new consoles come out.

G

man, these GPU price wars are more viscious than the SSD price wars. Good for me!

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]cptnjarhead[/nom]when directX 12 comes out, i will pick one of those high end DX11 cards for cheap.nice to see the drop though, but i dont really see a reason to buy a new card until the new consoles come out.[/citation]

I'm sorry but is directX 12 coming anytime soon? I was under the impression that the next-gen consoles will use directX 11. We may be several years away from dx 12 homie.

schnitter

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Just when I was convinced ASUS 670 GTX was in store for me, comes this announcement.

I try to avoid nVidia all I can due to them holding back gaming because of bribing companies to code Physx for graphics calculation while my i7 sits at 30% usage, but if it is a clear winner, I can't throw money away.

Thanks AMD for allowing me to keep boycotting such a greedy horrible company.

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Just when I was convinced ASUS 670 GTX was in store for me, comes this announcement.I try to avoid nVidia all I can due to them holding back gaming because of bribing companies to code Physx for graphics calculation while my i7 sits at 30% usage, but if it is a clear winner, I can't throw money away.Thanks AMD for allowing me to keep boycotting such a greedy horrible company.

Exactly. Physx is a horrible marketing ploy. The cpu should be processing all physics effects.

Vettedude

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]I'm sorry but is directX 12 coming anytime soon? I was under the impression that the next-gen consoles will use directX 11. We may be several years away from dx 12 homie.[/citation]

Consoles don't use DirectX at all. Well Xbox technically supports it, but why use an API when you can have low-level access.

yobobjm

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
The funny thing is these aren't really prices that needed to drop. From what I have seen the 7950 is still a bit better than the 660 ti and the 7970 is still better than the 670. Then again, who doesn't want cheaper stuff.

vistaofdoom

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]VetteDude[/nom]Consoles don't use DirectX at all. Well Xbox technically supports it, but why use an API when you can have low-level access.[/citation]
let the ______ think consoles use any type of DirectX in them. (fill the blank)

Not that we didn't see this coming ... though AMD played smash-mouth with these cuts going beyond what everyone anticipated.

Yields must be great for them -- let's hope that carries through with Trinity, Vishera, Kaveri and Steamroller.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
great news. $30 drops across AMDs high end offerings. certainly very attractive prices. Hopefully well see a 6950/6970 drop too. the 6950 still beats the 7850 in alot of games, and at its price Id still go for the 6950(should be around 180-190 atm).

G

7870s looking like a fantastic deal at $240 with the improvements they've seen in driver support since launch. They match right up against a stock 7950 in most games at 1080p! I think I might have to get one now.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]VetteDude[/nom]Consoles don't use DirectX at all. Well Xbox technically supports it, but why use an API when you can have low-level access.[/citation]
What are you talking about!? The XBox only uses Direct X, hence the name (Direct)X Box. It's the only platform that doesn't support OpenGL also. And I don't know of any other graphic API out there.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]I'm sorry but is directX 12 coming anytime soon? I was under the impression that the next-gen consoles will use directX 11. We may be several years away from dx 12 homie.[/citation]

i think you are confused "homie"

Status
Not open for further replies.