News AMD delays its Ryzen 9000 launch due to unspecified quality issue — new launch in August; chipmaker pulls back all units shipped globally for quali...

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
The last thing I'm going to say about this, until we know the real street prices and have actual performance & power data is that I also think you can't quite claim the current Raptor Lake product are reflective of Intel @ 2 years ago (or even 22 months, since Raptor Lake launched in late October, not mid August). The reason being that it doesn't account for the current maturity of their manufacturing node, which is enabling Intel to sell them at their current pricing.

Okay, I'm done speculating, here. We only have just under 2 weeks until the first Ryzen 9000 series drops. No amount of speculation beats having real data.
Im not asking you to speculate on whether they will or won't be more efficient. I'm asking that if they are (that's a hypothetical, not a speculation) what would that mean. So sure, not 2 years behind, 1 year and 10 months behind.

Reactions: helper800
Im not asking you to speculate on whether they will or won't be more efficient. I'm asking that if they are (that's a hypothetical, not a speculation) what would that mean. So sure, not 2 years behind, 1 year and 10 months behind.
I typically try not you use time measured in years personally. I use the term generation. For instance, Intel and AMD typically release a new generation once every 2 years or so (not including refreshes). Given that, I would say in your hypothetical that AMD would be one generation behind in efficiency in such a circumstance. @bit_user is not one that enjoys speculation as much as I do, at the least. To each their own.

TheHerald

Prominent
Feb 15, 2024
I typically try not you use time measured in years personally. I use the term generation. For instance, Intel and AMD typically release a new generation once every 2 years or so (not including refreshes). Given that, I would say in your hypothetical that AMD would be one generation behind in efficiency in such a circumstance. @bit_user is not one that enjoys speculation as much as I do, at the least. To each their own.
It gets tricky with generations, cause alderlake and rpl were released within a year. Also until zen 3 amd was on a one year release schedule. Then we have to get down to whether 14th is a new generation or not. I guess we will agree it isn't, but then there is the 14700k which got a generational bump in terms of Mt performance.

Now since we agreed on the if - - > then part, wanna bet that's not going to be the narrative in this or any other forum / reddit etc? We will be reading comment after comment about how far behind intel is in efficiency. 😁

Reactions: helper800

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
Funny how it only took 11 post to go from AND recall/delay to AMD VS Intel.
It's always the same 5 or 6 people.
Then we get 3 more pages of off topic crap fights.
I hardly participate here as can be seen by low post count. However, I can name 4 of those people already. They just ruin every thread for everyone. Good lord.

I'm delighted to see AMD be proactive on maintaining quality at launch. Good on them!

I hardly participate here as can be seen by low post count. However, I can name 4 of those people already. They just ruin every thread for everyone. Good lord.

I'm delighted to see AMD be proactive on maintaining quality at launch. Good on them!
And if those 4 or 5 people keep it up they'll find themselves on the outside, looking in. Bans are NOT off the table here In other words KNOCK IT OFF CHILDREN!

Thank you to those that stayed on topic and didn't get tied up in the offtopic bickering, you know who you are.