News AMD Demoes Ryzen AI at Computex 2023

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 6, 2023
Yes. Integrated deep learning into an established, commercial product; first shipped that feature back in 2018. I'm not going to say more than that.
Why dont you bring up IBM Watson instead to make ur argument stronger :)). It was introduced in 2011 with multiple commercialization effort over the years without success. Have you ever wonder why !

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Here's a fun suggestion. Go to scholar.google.com and search for: "deep learning + <topic>". I did this for "weather prediction" and found a 2021 paper on the subject. From the conclusion:
"... there are specific properties of weather data which require the development of new approaches beyond the classical concepts from computer vision, speech recognition, and other typical ML tasks. Even though DL solutions for many of these issues are being developed, there is no DL method up to now which can deal with all of these issues concurrently as it would be required in a complete weather forecast system.​
We expect that the field of ML in weather and climate science will grow rapidly in the coming years as more and more sophisticated ML architectures are becoming available and can easily be deployed on modern computer systems. ..."​

So, there certainly are some areas where you'd expect deep learning to have surpassed the state of the art, where it hasn't (yet) done so. That said, the authors sound rather optimistic about its prospects.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Why dont you bring up IBM Watson instead to make ur argument stronger :)). It was introduced in 2011 with multiple commercialization effort over the years without success. Have you ever wonder why !
Watson seems to be more of a business unit than a specific technology. They have products and services which harness big data and various machine learning techniques, but it's not as if Watson is one specific thing.

I can't comment on their commercial track record or prospects, but I think what they've claimed to do in the healthcare industry sounds very promising.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Getting back to the subject of AI relevance for typical PC users, Intel's slides on their VPU announcement had some examples:

BQz6aCR2ycVTi6vpCrP9yc.jpg

yN4ReMfbhHh6PapYuiNx5d.jpg

BtXmsL6hfmdBhxonHtdMBd.jpg

H3U6K9rxxEoN9pbwoV68Hd.jpg

Source: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-details-meteor-lakes-ai-acceleration-for-pcs-vpu-unit