News AMD Details FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0

While it is implied in the article, it's not explicitly mentioned: AMD has given a guide to know which GPU families should/would work best at what resolutions. Also, as it's not ML-dependent, it can work with as many cards as FSR1.0 can: almost all of them. The asterisk is the amount of computing necessary to actually do the "temporal" stuff, which is the elephant in the room. While you can run this with, say, a 1050ti or lower, the "performance benefit" is going to be really questionable. I'd be willing to say the same with iGPUs and other lower end and older cards.

Regardless, big kudos to AMD for not being as big a sleazy turd as the green team.

Regards.

Regardless, big kudos to AMD for not being as big a sleazy turd as the green team.
For what? Incorporating what they thought would be really cool technology into GPUs and finding something that would use it?

Just because AMD decided not to throw in any tensor cores into their GPUs doesn't mean NVIDIA is a sleazeball for not making DLSS open. Besides, it's not like the methods DLSS uses are patented or whatever. If anything, the secret sauce that NVIDIA wants to keep is all the training data for the AI to work with. The method itself is pretty much wide open for anyone to use to implement their own version. I mean, it's cool that AMD was able to come up with a generic method, but at the end of the day, you have to make your product stand out from the crowd. If NVIDIA finds that something to make them stand out, they shouldn't be forced to share it with the rest of the world.

However time will tell how long this give AMD kudos. Intel seems to have AI acceleration in mind for their GPUs. Assuming their ARC GPUs can compete in the higher end, AMD's going to be left in the dust once when either side can do the same thing but better.

EDIT: Another thing to point out is AMD continuing to make their features hardware agnostic is fine and all, but it doesn't convince me to buy their hardware. Any checkbox they add also gets added to everyone else's.

Last edited:
For what? Incorporating what they thought would be really cool technology into GPUs and finding something that would use it?

Just because AMD decided not to throw in any tensor cores into their GPUs doesn't mean NVIDIA is a sleazeball for not making DLSS open. Besides, it's not like the methods DLSS uses are patented or whatever. If anything, the secret sauce that NVIDIA wants to keep is all the training data for the AI to work with. The method itself is pretty much wide open for anyone to use to implement their own version. I mean, it's cool that AMD was able to come up with a generic method, but at the end of the day, you have to make your product stand out from the crowd. If NVIDIA finds that something to make them stand out, they shouldn't be forced to share it with the rest of the world.

However time will tell how long this give AMD kudos. Intel seems to have AI acceleration in mind for their GPUs. Assuming their ARC GPUs can compete in the higher end, AMD's going to be left in the dust once when either side can do the same thing but better.

EDIT: Another thing to point out is AMD continuing to make their features hardware agnostic is fine and all, but it doesn't convince me to buy their hardware. Any checkbox they add also gets added to everyone else's.
LOL, no.

AMD could have just made it proprietary/closed and exclusive to their GPUs like nVidia and call it a day. If it was reversed (FSR2.0 out first and DLSS just now), I'm sure nVidia would have still made it closed and exclusive pushing their own egocentric narrative. This doesn't mean AMD won't ever do it, but as I said, it's good they're still not in full "sleaze bag" mode.

You can also thank nVidiots about the huge price hikes and laugh at how nVidia is literally saying it to everyone: "look, these idiots are willing to pay more, so we'll just charge more". And AMD is following suit, of course. As you say, they are still a big Corp. This is completely off-topic, but worth mentioning in the context of being a "sleaze bag".

So yeah, I do think AMD deserves kudos for making something that's useful for everyone, no matter the Company they get their hardware from. Well, I'm also assuming this will be available for Intel. Also, XeSS will also be cross-hardware. Think about that.

Regards.