AMD Details Remaining Polaris Cards: RX 470, RX 460 Releases Imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really looking forward to a RX 470 for my HTPC build.
The expected price, performance and peak power draw match up nicely for my requirements.
I just hope that AMD fixes their Windows 10 idle power bug soon; with the promised 5w+ reduction in idle power with the fixed drivers, it should nearly match the GTX 10xx's excellent idle characteristics.

Hopefully we will get a half-height single-slot RX 460; at around $100-$120; I'd scarf one right up. As far as I know, the most powerful card available in that small form factor is the GT740, which isn't quite enough.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Gigabyte makes a 750ti half height card.
This would certainly be better, though.

InvalidError

Titan
If the RX-460 ships with two cores already disabled, what is Polaris 11 with all cores enabled going to ship as? It isn't as if the RX-460 needed the handicap since a fully enabled one would still be over 30% slower than the RX-470 for less than 30% cheaper.

Did AMD intend the RX-460 to have 16 cores and ended up having to axe two to shoehorn it into the sub-75W power budget?

voodoobunny

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Given that the 8GB RX480 is $250, and significantly more than twice as powerful as the RX460, a reasonable price range for the RX460 would be below $125, and probably closer to $100.

... which means that we should see it below $100 very soon. It sounds like a mild upgrade to the $100 price point, and a significant upgrade to the slot-power-only world.

I already have a BP655, with no plans to replace it; obviously if I did that I could do away with size constraints entirely. My goal is to increase the capabilities of an existing PC, not build a new one.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

is your choice at the end , Actually your case is bigger in size than the new slim cases that take 2 half height slots cards . you can upgrade just the case for 45$ if you want slim case and powerful card inside.

Also those cases are a catch and wanted to Share the info.

That is a nice case I sell a lot of InWin cases they are good quality. Besides if you replaced the case you'd either have to sell it or build another PC in it and we'd be back looking for the right VGA card for it, lol.

The cases listed are brands I'm not familiar with and they seem a bit over priced. I'd just keep the case you have and move on.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

Not yet. AMD is focusing on market share where they can actually make meaningful gains. As much as everyone loves to talk about the top tier cards, most people spend $300 or less on their GPU.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-polaris-10-mainstream-gpu,31879.html

AMD's next high-end GPUs will be built on the upcoming Vega architecture, which should make use of HBM2.
The most recent roadmap that we've seen indicates that Vega will launch in early 2017.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-roadmap-hints-three-gpus,31417.html

It's entirely possible that there will be an RX 490 before then, but AMD has not said as much.
I suspect that Vega will be a direct replacement for the Fury line, which leaves the space open for a potential RX 490, and possibly even an RX 490X.

Status
Not open for further replies.