AMD: Done for?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jennyh

Splendid

Because without turbo on, the i5 gets blown away by even AMD X3's. There is no way intel would allow that to be seen.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Well, we are in a free world.

Besides, turbo is almost like cheating.

It's like OC'ing in the no OC section.

jennyh

Splendid
Free world perhaps, but when intel are 'encouraging' you to use turbo, it's not exactly difficult to do that.

Cheating? Well it's overclocking at least. It's smart, it's a smart piece of technology. What it isn't is faster than a 965 BE at stock, not even close.

randomizer

Champion

They also mentioned in the conclusion (in the update) that they think there's some issues with Linux and Lynnfield but didn't specifically state whether they were talking only about Turbo or not. It's worth keeping an eye on that review to see if they can improve the results or not.

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

Intel has done some smart marketing, I'll give them that much.

I sincerely believe turbo scores should be discretely stated and compared to overclocked AMD and Intel equivalents.

ibnsina

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
The golden questions is whether in the long term ATIC [owner of GlobalFoundries] sees AMD as valuable assets and continues the partnership. If this happens then AMD would become a very strong competitor to Intel and might even take it’s place as the world's largest semiconductor chip maker, five to seven years down the line.

The Abu Dhabi Investment Authority [ATIC] is currently the largest fund among oil exporters and has accumulated assets worth between US$ 650 billion and US$ 1 trillion and has sufficient cash reserves.

As for "Oil running out", Abu Dhabi sits atop some 8% of the world’s proven reserves of oil, At current rates of extraction, the oil will last for another 92 years. Abu Dhabi National Oil Company one of the world's leading oil companies, producing over 2.7 million barrels of oil a day.

AMD might be the underdog for another 2 years, but after that I think they will have much brighter future to look forward to. Globalfoundries's new [$4.2B] Fab 2 is expect to be the world’s most advanced semiconductor foundry, breaking ground on a new facility, which is based New York. They are also in the process of buying Singapore’s state-controlled Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing for $1.8 billion. If GlobalFoundries continues to invest and manages these Fabs properly, than expect a different AMD few years down the line.

jennyh

Splendid
What I dont like is them showing some benchmarks with their intels stock ghz rating, when they are in fact operating at higher frequencies.

Thats just plain deceit as far as i'm concerned. Why label a cpu at 2.7ghz when its running at 3ghz or even higher? If the label says 2.7ghz, it should be benched at 2.7ghz not some unknown (but higher) 'turbo' clockspeed.

It's just total fail all round tbh, people can go on about conspiracy theorists etc but how often are these things working out in intels favour? When they don't have anything particularly great as a product, you can be sure they'll figure out a way to let the public believe they have. No more itaniums from intel, they'll bribe their way out of anything that bad.

Some of the rubbish i've read over the i5 is just mind boggling. "The best cpu ever made" was a headline I read 2 weeks ago in PC Format. The i5 is a decent cpu but it's hardly a step up over what intel already have at core2.

jennyh

Splendid
Also, OT - AMD will be fine. The gap between Phenom II and Core i5/i7 is nowhere near as big as the gap between Phenom I and Core 2 was.

AMD are practically assured survival now that ATIC are buying up fabs. And ATIC need AMD because they have no other way of getting x86. That is why AMD shares rose 15% yesterday, everything ATIC does now is making AMD more and more powerful almost by default.

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
Here is one article that has TM off:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,694495/Intel-Core-i5-and-Core-i7-Lynnfield-CPUs-reviewed/Reviews/

4745454b

Titan
Free world perhaps, but when intel are 'encouraging' you to use turbo, it's not exactly difficult to do that.

But they were also using a BE AMD chip, which also encourages you to overclock. I would have liked to have seen true stock i5 750, turbo on i5 750, and stock and OC'd 965. This lets us compare not only C4C, but also best case/overclocking, etc.

Interesting on the Linux front as well. Anyone seen any reviews of i5 and XP? Another "win" for AMD might be if it runs better in XP. Anyone needing to hang onto an old machine/software might not be able to upgrade to i5.

Did you happen to catch any of AMD's last dozen quarterly earnings reports, by any chance? AMDs margins are in the toilet, and Intel's holding the flush handle.

Intel has been at 45nm a year longer than AMD (who reportedly is just now at 'crossover' where half their CPU product line is 45nm - Intel got there in June 2008). And I believe Intel's 45nm yields are better than AMDs - judging by the availability of triple-cripple X3s - plus AMD uses more expensive SOI wafers. And Phenom X4 (& X3) are about the same die size as Nehalem, so the theoretical max yield is about the same anyway.

Intel is moving to 32nm in a couple months. AMD - in a couple years.

AMD spends a whopping 35% of their income on R&D, Intel only 15% or so.

AMD really cannot afford to play in this game much longer, and they certainly cannot afford cutting their margins even further below the miserable 27% of last quarter.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I'm not an Intel or AMD fanboy. I just like what performs the best. I had a couple AMD processors back in the day when the FX chip just came out. It blew Intel out of the water when their best desktop chip was just a 3.2Ghz P4. That was why I shelled out the big bucks to buy it. It was good while it lasted and then Intel released the Core 2 series and it was all over for AMD. I went back to Intel processors because AMD has nothing on the market that would compete with them.

But I do have to say something about AMD. Their RMA process is very quick. Took only a week to get something RMA'd. 3 days to ship it there, got the email that they approved my RMA, and another 3 days to ship it back. I've never RMA'd an Intel product before but I hear they kinda suck.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

Yes, it's just so unfair. Someone should have a talk with Intel's dad and tell them to stop bullying poor little AMD by producing faster chips... they should be forced to stop making good chips and start selling Pentium-4 space heaters again.

What's funny is that for years AMD were doing the opposite, selling '3000+' chips which naive buyers didn't realise were only running at around 2GHz, and that was apparently a good thing. Now that Intel are selling CPUs claiming that they run at a _lower_ clock speed than they're really capable of running at, they're suddenly evil. When did giving people more than they think they're paying for become bad while giving them less is good?

Some of the rubbish i've read over the i5 is just mind boggling. "The best cpu ever made" was a headline I read 2 weeks ago in PC Format. The i5 is a decent cpu but it's hardly a step up over what intel already have at core2.

It's better than the Core 2, which was the best x86 CPU ever made prior to Nehalem; hence, pretty much by definition, it's among the best CPUs ever made... and considering it comes close to the original i7 performance (or beats it in some areas) while using less power, laiming that it's a better CPU isn't hard.

Now, I do hope that AMD get out of the doldrums with some competitive products, but whining about how unfair Turbo mode is won't achieve that... AMD would do much better to just copy Intel and stick a Turbo mode in their own CPUs for operation with a limited number of threads.

Heh I'm too lazy to go to AMD.com and look up their Q2 report, but they have been reducing payroll and cutting costs. I'm sure their 45nm process (actually GFs now) is maturing as well, judging by the binning, but since the wafers already cost something like 10x that of strained silicon, the cost to manufacture is likely higher than Intels.

Bottom line is that AMD has not made a profit since Q3 of 2006. Total losses including the ATI writeoff is approaching $8 billion. Excluding the writeoff, it's over $3B IIRC.

The actual dollar amount of CPU R&D is less than what Intel spends, but since AMDs earnings are just a fraction of Intels, that's why AMDs R&D consumes such a large portion of earnings. And frankly AMD cannot reduce that budget if they hope to stay in the high-end CPU business.

IMO the only way AMD will survive is by reducing thier prices on thier current lineup... If AMD can sell a Quad for 149.99$ then they should be ok... if not then it does not look good for them....

One of AMD's downfall's was the infamous TWKR, it really didnt do much or shall I save achieve anything that has not been done already... I had high hopes and was not impressed at all, but there are rumors that AMD has a comparable CPU (quad) that can trounce the 965 at a lower TDP........Hopefully these rumors are true and we will see AMD back in the game....

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

So Intel just launched LGA1156, which, by all means, eliminates AMD's competitiveness in the market above $200.

Sorry, after seeing that, I know the rest of the post is a total garbagy fail.
Fail.
Regards.

PS: AMD has a hard time fighting it out with the still potent LGA775 solutions down there.

AMD beats down the highest performing Core2 out there so you have no helling idea what you are talking about.

Cryslayer80

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009

That post is the win here. +1

PS: And one more reason for AMD's position. A marketing team consisted of n00bs. Do you think someone will buy your product if you compare it with a competitive product on your OFFICIAL site??? That is reserved for testers and fanboys, for cry's sakes. Look at this and laugh: http://sites.amd.com/us/atplay/Pages/showtime10.aspx

Instead of just suggesting that their products are better, they clearly point: faster than an nvidia solution. N00bs.

jeffk464

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

I'm mostly interested in what gets the best benchmarks for the dollar amount I want to spend. Or my new concern in choosing processors is which chip can do what I need for the least amount of electricity . I never buy top of the line processors because their prices are outragous. The last system I built was a AMD regor 250/785 chipset. It did everything I wanted, basically multimedia including HD, at a great pricepoint and great energy savings. My next chip is probably going to be the new pentium based on core i3, its suppose to be around $80 and will build a system with very low power requirements. I think the overall platform is becoming more important then just the processor speed these days.