[SOLVED] AMD Driver Timeouts for the Last Month

May 26, 2022
MOBO: ASUS Prime B550M-A (Wi-Fi)
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: XFX Thicc II RX 5700 XT
RAM: Crucial 2x8 DDR4 (3000mhz)
PSU: Corsair RM850x (Brand New)

All the components are from a pre-built from CyberPowerPC, except the PSU. All has run fine up til' now.

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here so sorry if I leave anything out.

In the last month, I started getting driver timeouts on quite a few games. Game will freeze, screens will go black, and Radeon Adrenalin will crash and my game will either come back playable with no audio, or crash itself. From there my Radeon software will reset all of my tuning and I am often forced to fully restart my PC to get function of Radeon software again. This seems to happen more often with my custom tuning, which is an underclock/undervolt of 1750MHz to .91mV, but has happened before when I left the tuning on default.

This seemed to start right after I switched out some components, specifically case fans, CPU cooler (from a CyberPower PC AIO to a Cooler Master Hyper 212) and the PSU (from an Apevia 800w to a Corsair 850). My CPU temps are fine (never go above 68 degrees while gaming) and I know I can rule out my PSU, because I even bought a new EVGA 850w G6 to see if the PSU was the issue and it crashed as well, as did my old Apevia.

I feel like I can rule out software issues and driver issues too, because I've tested tons of old AMD drivers, and even did a full clean install of Windows and only installed the drivers and games, and still saw driver timeouts. I even uninstalled Radeon software and tried running through MSI Afterburner, and with an undervolt still had a black screen crash and settings reset on MSI.

I've only tested a few games, but I have seen driver timeouts in Assassin's Creed 2 through Revelations (AC2 didn't have any crashes pre-hardware change) and also Borderlands 2, which I can confirm for sure never had driver timeout issues in the past when I've played. Although I have had no driver timeout issues when playing FIFA 22, so I know it's not all games.

This is the first time I've dealt with this, and at this point I'm at a loss. Is it possible it's my GPU? I've even re-seated the GPU to make sure the connection was solid. I just find the timing really odd if it is my GPU, because these timeouts only started happening after I switched out some components.

Solution

All the components are from a pre-built from CyberPowerPC, except the PSU. All has run fine up til' now.

Hey guys, this is my first time posting on here so sorry if I leave anything out.

In the last month, I started getting driver timeouts on quite a few games. Game will freeze, screens will go black, and Radeon Adrenalin will crash and my game will either come back playable with no audio, or crash itself. From there my Radeon software will reset all of my tuning and I am often forced to fully restart my PC to get function of Radeon software again. This seems to...

In the last month, I started getting driver timeouts on quite a few games. Game will freeze, screens will go black, and Radeon Adrenalin will crash and my game will either come back playable with no audio, or crash itself. From there my Radeon software will reset all of my tuning and I am often forced to fully restart my PC to get function of Radeon software again. This seems to happen more often with my custom tuning, which is an underclock/undervolt of 1750MHz to .91mV, but has happened before when I left the tuning on default.

This seemed to start right after I switched out some components, specifically case fans, CPU cooler (from a CyberPower PC AIO to a Cooler Master Hyper 212) and the PSU (from an Apevia 800w to a Corsair 850). My CPU temps are fine (never go above 68 degrees while gaming) and I know I can rule out my PSU, because I even bought a new EVGA 850w G6 to see if the PSU was the issue and it crashed as well, as did my old Apevia.

I feel like I can rule out software issues and driver issues too, because I've tested tons of old AMD drivers, and even did a full clean install of Windows and only installed the drivers and games, and still saw driver timeouts. I even uninstalled Radeon software and tried running through MSI Afterburner, and with an undervolt still had a black screen crash and settings reset on MSI.

I've only tested a few games, but I have seen driver timeouts in Assassin's Creed 2 through Revelations (AC2 didn't have any crashes pre-hardware change) and also Borderlands 2, which I can confirm for sure never had driver timeout issues in the past when I've played. Although I have had no driver timeout issues when playing FIFA 22, so I know it's not all games.

This is the first time I've dealt with this, and at this point I'm at a loss. Is it possible it's my GPU? I've even re-seated the GPU to make sure the connection was solid. I just find the timing really odd if it is my GPU, because these timeouts only started happening after I switched out some components.
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall gpu driver using DDU (clean and do not restart).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 16 on yours, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• restart the pc to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot if it was turned on by default, save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios, then after updating bios go to bios again, then load default or optimized settings, disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option if you want to (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled), then save and exit.

• boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.03.xx), then reboot. Try to take a look on power plan if amd ryzen balanced power plan is available, if it's not then its okay.

• Install the latest radeon driver or try use Anermine Driver (nimez) (install tutorial here, might want some tweaks like enabling resize bar or hyper memory, etc.), and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did). Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step in orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow.

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use the 2nd cable header, not the first end like on the circle or the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

Last edited:
Solution