AMD Drivers got deleted, i need help.

camarillodelrio

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018
Earlier yesterday, i got brand new PC peripherals. I got a new DisplayPort cable to finally get FreeSync to work. I checked the Radeon settings, and saw that the "Freesync" option wasn't there, and i read that sometimes you have to restart your PC to get that option to show up. I noticed there was a new optional driver available. So, i tried to install them while i went make some food. When i came back, i saw that the driver (18.10.1) was only partially installed? So, i closed the Radeon settings and tried to re install it. Me being the idiot i am, i started getting impatient and starting clicking around and i accidentally clicked twice on "express uninstall" and then, i don't remember what exactly i did, but windows was going to restart (I have windows 10). When i logged back into my PC, i tried to open up Radeon Settings, but windows said something among the lines of "windows is searching for radeonsettings.exe to look for file yourself click here" so i clicked there and saw nothing but more folders. And then a new popup appeared. it said something among the lines of "this application shortcut cannot work properly" and it had two choices, "Keep" or Uninstall" I had run into this problem, but last time it did not show this additional pop-up. I had just went to the AMD website and installed the drivers again, and it worked fine. But, this time i clicked "delete" Because i thought i just had to re-install the drivers and i wwould be fine.But no, now i can't even find the "Radeon Settings" program, all i can find is "Radeon-Software-adrenalin-18.10.1-minimalsetup" and "Radeon-Software-adrenalin-18.7.1-minimalsetup" and when i open them, it takes me to an installer that says "New dirver 18.10.1" and recommended driver "18.5.1" , not the settings software itself. If screenshots are needed, i will gladly provide them.

Solution
try going to control panel - programs and features - and uninstall anything with amd in the name
then reinstall the drivers from amd's website
18.5.1 is still the most stable of them all, but will lack features of the newer ones.
Don't worry about that so much.
You can install the 18.5.1 from scratch, then upgrade to the latest.
If the latest causes you problems, the 18.5.1 shouldn't.

DDU is the best way to clean out driver problems - download that from guru3d

camarillodelrio

Prominent
Feb 18, 2018

Thank you, that worked perfectly. FreeSync is still unavailable, thanks for your help anyway.