AMD Dual Graphics Analysis: Better Benchmarks; Same Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beta212

Honorable
Feb 8, 2013
Hmm, IDK, I feel like there is definitely a performance boost in certain games that are just bordering on playability. That said, if you want really good graphics, why not buy the Athlon with disabled GPU cores? Same goes for the intel P series. Just add a discrete card.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
The drivers tested in this analysis are a tiny bit too old, just before the Crossfire Frame Pacing fix was released.

Could we see this performed again with Catalyst 13.8?

[ANSWER FROM EDITOR: We addressed this in the article on page 2, AMD said the new driver does not affect Dual Graphics, only CrossFire with two or more discrete GPUs. See the actual excerpt in the answer below]

cleeve

Illustrious

See page 2:

"You'll notice that we're using the Catalyst 13.6 Beta 2 driver instead of Catalyst 13.8 Beta, which adds a frame pacing feature for smoother, more consistent output. AMD tells us that the new driver does not affect Dual Graphics configurations. It only works with multiple discrete GPUs. Rest assured that the configuration we're presenting is as up to date as possible."

Despite the bad news, I think this article was just what a lot of people needed. It helps clears up a lot of confusion and hearsay about AMD Dual Graphics options, like the being able to enable the Radeon HD 7750, or if GDDR5 makes any difference or not. More importantly, it shows how important software optimization is for product performance, and hopefully AMD strives to eliminate similar issues in the future.

As this issue unfolds, I hope there are as informative follow-ups to accompany them. Good job!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[ANSWER FROM EDITOR: We addressed this in the article on page 2, AMD said the new driver does not affect Dual Graphics, only CrossFire with two or more discrete GPUs. See the actual excerpt in the answer below]

Ah - my apologies.. Thanks for the response.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Well, now I see that my Llano box I built for a media center 2 years ago will be completely rebuilt rather than getting an add in card. If AMD's next gen APU will use the FM2+ boards as well I may go that route. If not, I'll probably wind up dumping AMD all together and go with an Intel rig.

G

If only AMD spent more of their time and their resources on software optimization rather than on those competition-bashing ads. Seeing some silly ads or reading about some flip/flopping (I now get paid by a different overlord) salesman, bashing Intel or nVidia products, does not instill the confidence in buying AMD products, specifically their APUs and (professional) GPUs. I really do want to buy your stuff AMD; less marketing more software development...pleeease.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
lol @ NV propaganda. It's all they've got left. ;)

It's clear that drivers are being rolled out to remove any glitches that might affect somebody's experience.

The timing of this article isn't shocking. How much does it cost to have a website do a headline article on intel, nv, intel/nv graphics solutions with the same objectivity?

Being a APU owner and fully aware of past issues with Dual Graphics mode, notably the micro stutter, I was waiting for Catalyst 13.8 to re run the data and see if the fixes affected Dual Graphics in the manner it affected Crossfire. 13.8 has been out for 2-3 weeks and Toms still didn't incorporate this fix.

I do hope there will be a review on 13.8 in the near future and not some time down the line as this is subject matter that is particularly of interest to me and its hard to find reviews of this nature. That said I will probably have a 6670, 7730 and 7750 soon enough to run my own tests and to see whether the APU can crossfire with the GCN parts.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
APUs are extremely effected by RAM. I'm not saying you guys are using bad RAM but I'm using RAM with better timings (average joe). I kinda expect you to be using the best., Tom. "We're using AMD's own RAM!" That isn't the best RAM.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
To expound on Don's answer, AMD itself let us know that the latest Catalyst beta driver has *no effect* on Dual Graphics. What we're presenting is an issue that needs to be addressed separately.

We weren't able to test the 13.8 driver at the time AMD released it; I was in the hospital with my wife, who was having our second child. To make up for this, we're going to be presenting what I hope to be the most complete analysis of the frame pacing option available very soon. Don will be collecting FCAT-based data and creating side-by-side video comparison similar to what you saw here today. Meanwhile, I'm going to be hosting an event in Bakersfield, CA this coming weekend to generate qualitative data based on the opinions of real gamers playing on 7990 and 690 back to back, blindly. If you're in the area and interested in attending, shoot me a PM!

yannigr

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I was disappointed when I read 13.6. Yeah you give an explanation, straight from AMD, but still I would have gone for 13.8. If 13.8 is not breaking dual graphics or is not a specific driver for 7000 series, then why not using it? I say again "I did read your explanation".

AMD better fix this issue. Intel is getting better in the area of graphics, and Nvidia will have to become more aggressive in the low/mid range market in the future. When both Nvidia and Intel will be in a position to question the performance that the best APU from AMD offers, AMD will use dual graphics as a simple cheap upgrade options that the others will lack.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
So, a little bit of insight into our process...

Certainly--had 13.8 been available when the testing for this was conducted, we would have used it. These stories take time to test for, write, edit, and fact-check. AMD still hadn't even posted 13.8 when all of the data was collected and videos created. At some point during Don's write-up, we were briefed and given a release date for the beta. Naturally, this jeopardized this story's integrity. We went back and forth with AMD a couple of times to be sure that the information was valid, and were assured that nothing changed for Dual Graphics.

TL;DR: We worked with AMD prior to this piece's publication, and would have used 13.8, despite a lack of difference, if it had been available. If AMD told us 13.8 might change the outcome, we would have scrapped everything and started over.

finder

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Intle i3 with only one 7750 would blow past Dual Graphics and A10 - the answer is bad cpu architechture that slows down any hardware you put in

Are you serious? Faster RAM + A10 is better in gaming than A10 + 6670.
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46073-amd-a10-5800k-trinity-needs-faster-ram/?page=3
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/cpu/46157-amd-a10-5800k-dual-graphics-evaluation/?page=2

Yes, a i3+7750 is faster than a A10+7750.

Yes it is faster than the A10 + 7750 but not the A10 + 7750 in dual graphics mode.

I await the further driver releases, aparently AMD are step releasing fixes and hopefully a dual graphics fix will come, in the interim i will try it out anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.