AMD Dual Graphics problem

MigLeader

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Greetings friends i have a really small problem (not a big deal) but if there is a fix for it then i will be glad.

first the problem is with my laptop but its only a graphics card problem so that's why i am posting it here instead of the laptop forums so if its the wrong forum then i am really sorry.

The System:
i have this AMD laptop Asus N56DP DH-11, i got it from Xotic-pc and modfied its spec and added a 12gb Ram + replaced the normal 1TB HDD with a 256GB samsung 840 pro SSD.
as you can see from its spec that it have 2 GPUs:
1-AMD 7660G which its an APU
2-AMD 7730M which its a discreet GPU(i think they call it a discreet) with 2 GB VRAM

With the AMD mobility driver 13.4(i think) i can run both GPUs in Dual GPU mode.

Windows 7 ultimate x64

The Software:
i have encounterd this problem at first with the game (KSP) Kerbal Space Program but now i can see it on other little heavy games like (kenshi) but not all and not on multimedia software (like photoshop ,3dsmax ,unity3d).

The Problem:
when i run KSP on high performance (Means the 2 GPUs will work) i get higher frame rate but i also get after 4-8 seconds a slowness like 50%-80% less frame rate for also about 5-10 seconds then it returns to normal frame rate but then another 4-8 seconds another slowness happen and so on.

i understand that my CPU or GPUs isnt high end but here comes the strange part.

The Problem is not happening:
When i run KSP only on the APU (Means only the 7660G is working) i get high frame rate but also without any slowness or laggness at all.

My understanding:
for me i think its the frame pacing problem but i cant install the 14.1 or 14.2 bcz it gave me always BSOD even on a clean install of the windows , and the 13.12 driver dont have the frame pacing option.

another thing i can think of is that the temp of my labtop really goes high when both GPUs is running (the CPU gets sometimes to 92c - 97c).

Final:
sorry really for the long post and bad english , and thanks for anyone reads this.

thanks in advanced.

Solution
sounds like your CPU could be throttling. to make sure your not experiencing this Download CPU-Z and run your games in windowed mode so that you can see both the game and CPU-Z at hte same time. when the frame lag hits watch the core speed of the CPU and see if it drops.
sounds like your CPU could be throttling. to make sure your not experiencing this Download CPU-Z and run your games in windowed mode so that you can see both the game and CPU-Z at hte same time. when the frame lag hits watch the core speed of the CPU and see if it drops.

Solution

MigLeader

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

ok thanks for the info bgunner , i tried what you told me and its right , i changed the powerprofile in windows to keep the CPU at 100% at all time and the lag is gone , but i got another problem , the heat is way too much 92c on the CPU and 90c on both GPUs , the problem is my laptop dont have vents on bottom side so i think this is the problem, any advice?thx

note: my brother have open my laptop and cleaned the laptop from dust (there was many) but the heat problem is still there.

besides a good cleaning (which you said your brother did) your only other option is a cooling pad. It is a pad with fans or one large fan in it to blow air on the bottom of the laptop to help cool it. Laptop cooling is always a big challenge because you cant change the cooling systems in them.

Be glad that your laptop is designed different than mine. Mine they put the CPU right under the palm rest under the W,A,S,D keys so it cooks my hand when I play games on it. But let me get back on topic here.

The best thing you can do is use a cooling pad to help keep the air circulating around the laptop.

MigLeader

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
i actually have 2 types of cooling pads for the laptop a huge pad with a single big fan and another one that it looks like an X shape with 2 small fans , but as i said this laptop dont have vents underneath , it got only a row of the vents on the left side so a cooling pad is useless here (thats what i think really ).

again thanks for your time bro