News AMD Encourages Radeon RX 5600 XT Owners To Upgrade Memory To 14 Gbps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 7, 2020
I have the Gigabyte card...It can't last 5 minutes with the "Fast" new bios. Based on the AMD support forums, I'm not alone in this realization. Of course Gigabyte support wants me to try a new motherboard and new power supply as part of the trouble shooting process o_O

I bought a Powercolor RX 5600 XT Red Dragon with the new BIOS installed and 14GBPS sticker on the box and same problem, the most I got it to last for was 1 Hour 17 Minutes running it at 30% less power, the card was red hot to the touch when I removed it from my system all over. Even in Windows and opening Steam was enough to trigger a hard crash!

Running the Division 2 caused overheat sparkles on the monitor after 20 minutes at stock settings. I've got a Corsair RM 750X PSU which 80+ Gold and tried both sets of AMD Drivers from clean installs via DDU and my rig was having none of it. Stuck my GTX 1660 back in and overclocked it has far as it could go and the system is stable as a rock. I've asked for a return and refund for the 5600 XT but I may try a older BIOS flash on it while I'm waiting and see what it does.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Here is exhibit A of why you should watch the original source of any news and not just post the synopsis while blindly insulting people. Below is a link to the MSI podcast the techreport post was referring to, time stamped to the coup de grâce .

View: https://youtu.be/_jPeWM-okng?t=1216

"AMD decides and delivers, like Nvidia, as well. If we as a company say we want to make this GPU. What they deliver is, they deliver a bundle usually which is both the GPU and the memory. So they decide the memory."

MSI on the record saying gpu and memory are bundled together by both AMD and Nvidia.

Eh...whoops....facts.

You just can't give up on being wrong, can ya?

Lets repeat: a neckbeard AMD fanboys youtube video saying unnamed manufacturers made certain claims IS NOT A FREAKING FACT, its opinion based on "unknown sources".

MSI is on fact, stating directly from named sourcs that their 5600's won't go to 14 reliably because their memory isn't specced for it.

Therefore, the only FACT we have is that AMD did not provide ram and the gpu as a package, or MSI wouldn't have this problem. The simple deduction is made from a FACT.

Numerous others here have said they have variable manufacturers ram on their boards.

Now since you won't give up the silly anecdotal incorrect crap, I'll go off now and see how I can block/mute you. Oh and btw, there's a youtuber with millions of daily views who did a video interview of a former CIA agent (maybe) that claims that NASA has a secret program with the liberal elites where they have set up a child slave labor camp there and they extract the childrens bone marrow to make life extending drugs for the elites. NASA actually sent out a press release addressing it, saying no, they haven't sent any people to Mars.

Upper part is unnamed sources making biased claims. Last sentence is fact. So if you didn't know, now you know.

cfbcfb

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
Wait, but how much of a performance increase do you get (for those of you who have a 5600 XT with 14GBs)? Is there actually a noticeable benefit? I have no idea if this was a marketing tactic of AMD or not, but all I know is that if they planned this, then maybe there is a performance boost without too much more heat, but if they just figured out how to do this, then other parts of the GPU might not benefit so much, resulting in only a little bit more performance, possible with a lot more heat+power consumption

In general, from my various overclocking work, gpu clock matters far, far more than memory clock. You definitely can run benchmarks that highlight stressed gpu ram that will show a benefit. GPU non game stuff like mining and folding@home compute workloads WILL benefit, but with faster gpu ram you're more likely to draw more power and make more heat than you get performance boost.

All this is about is Nvidia reduced the prices on some of their cards to offer better performance on paper at the same price, and AMD low-clocked the ram on their 5600's that were the nvidia equiv so they could show spec match and price match. In a word: shenanigans.

TRENDING THREADS