News AMD Ensures Growth for CPU Sales: A New WSA with GF

InvalidError

Titan
Rumors have been consistently pointing toward a 6-7nm IOD for Zen 4 for roughly a year. Either AMD has had a change of plans due to on-going 6/7nm supply tightness or the GF 12/14nm WSA is for other stuff like interposers for those ultra-fine-pitch die-to-die interconnects in upcoming multi-die packages.

Reactions: thisisaname

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
This just set the minimum they will buy if they wanted to buy more they would just buy more?

Rumors have been consistently pointing toward a 6-7nm IOD for Zen 4 for roughly a year. Either AMD has had a change of plans due to on-going 6/7nm supply tightness or the GF 12/14nm WSA is for other stuff like interposers for those ultra-fine-pitch die-to-die interconnects in upcoming multi-die packages.

I to was wondering what they would use them for. If they are using them for interposers then the "chips" are going to be very simple and thus should be cheaper?

The IO die is still being made with 12/14 nm glofo, it makes sense since it's bigger than a ccd, or even the same or smaller size maybe if they would use tsmc for it but that would cut down the amount of cpus they would be able to make by a huge amount.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_3
Zen 3 is the codename for a CPU microarchitecture by AMD, released on November 5, 2020.[1][2] It is the successor to Zen 2 and uses TSMC's 7 nm process for the chiplets and GlobalFoundries's 14 nm process for the I/O die on the server chips and 12 nm for desktop chips.
1024px-AMD%407nm%2812nmIOD%29%40Zen3%40Vermeer%40Ryzen_5_5600X%40100-000000064_BG_2042SUS_9JF6228V00014_DSCx2.jpg

InvalidError

Titan
I to was wondering what they would use them for. If they are using them for interposers then the "chips" are going to be very simple and thus should be cheaper?
Maybe for now while silicon interposers are still relatively new and mostly passive.

Silicon interposers are made of the same stuff as normal chips, which means there are plenty of opportunities to integrate active circuitry to handle things that do not require cutting-edge process tech such as most external IOs, especially the analog signal handling parts since those don't scale with process much.

If AMD gets comfortable with 3D stacking, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the IOD became the interposer with CCDs directly on top a few years from now. Same with Intel if its FOVEROS experiments go well.

Reactions: thisisaname