News AMD Epyc Surpasses Dual-Socket Intel Xeon in Netflix Server Optimization

The Netflix team did criticize AMD for not yet having well-developed tools for server operating systems, such as Linux.

Thats one area AMD has a ton of work to do and will need to invest a lot of time and money. Its one thing Intel is extremely far ahead of AMD.

Its why I say the server market will be a very hard won market for AMD compared to desktop. More cores is not the only thing to consider there.

Thats one area AMD has a ton of work to do and will need to invest a lot of time and money. Its one thing Intel is extremely far ahead of AMD.

Its why I say the server market will be a very hard won market for AMD compared to desktop. More cores is not the only thing to consider there.

This is likely AMD's largest hurdle. They need money to hire coders so hopefully enough early adopt EPYC. This is also where I worry if Intel gets serious they will have a leg up on GPU's because if they want they can put more resources on drivers than even Nvidia.

This is likely AMD's largest hurdle. They need money to hire coders so hopefully enough early adopt EPYC. This is also where I worry if Intel gets serious they will have a leg up on GPU's because if they want they can put more resources on drivers than even Nvidia.

Intel already has more resources dedicated to it. People don't realize how big Intels software side is. Hell they don't realize how involved in everything computer wise Intel is. Its why I laugh when people say they will never support Intel again, because no matter what you buy Intel has had a hand in some part of a modern PC.

That is also why I don't subscribe to AMD just absorbing massive amounts of server market share. There is so much more to it than "moar cores for less!!!" but people want to ignore a lot of it.

In the end AMD will take some market share from Intel in the HPC/server space. But until they can provide the same level of service on every front it will be minimal and I am sure Intel will do their best to see to that, after all HPC/Servers is very high margin.