AMD Expected to Reach 40% GPU Market Share in 6 Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Their products are loud hot and noisy and 50 dollars more than the gtx 780. Who wants to put up with that for a 10% performance increase? No thanks I'll take a 500 dollar gtx 780 any day. And let's not even get into driver performance.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
if we had this kind of competition in the processor market... I wanted to buy the i7 3770 for my pc a year and half ago, but I chose to wait for a price drop... the price not only didn-t drop, but it actually rose !!!

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
AMD will catch up in the CPU segment. 2 things are bound to happen. Intel brings out a CPU that has awesome performance, or better prices for everyone. In either case, I keep supporting AMD, even if it means intel consumers and fanboys reap the rewards. Oh, and a FX-6350 is by no means a bad CPU.

julianbautista87

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010

Drivers issues? try a gtx 560ti, I have one and its driving me crazy!!! I even reinstalled windows but I keep receiving crashes and messages like "the nvidia controller stopped working" from time to time. I miss my old hd 6850, the only problem with that card was that I couldnt play Age of empires 2 because of the water glitch... :(

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
what is this BS about bad drivers i'm literally ALWAYS reading about for AMD. i've had like one driver problem like 5 years ago, and it was MY fault. i don't understand.

gtx 780 at $500 is an excellent price. but people like the top commenter of course wouldn't mind getting shafted an extra several hundred dollars as long as it has a green logo on it. wait till 290 and 290x aftermarket cards. we'll talk then.

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012

Everyone forgive this man! His wallet was raped for 7+ months by Nvidia. He thinks all Nvidia graphics cards were always a bargain. He forgets all about the original asking price. We forgive you.... but your wallet shall not.

Take care young man.... take care.

Sigmanick

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
"Who wants to put up with that for a 10% performance increase"

The same type of person who would pay $1K for an Nvidia Titan.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
People who keep regurgitating long-resolved driver and heat issues are spreading FUD with malicious intent.

290x reference card works just fine, and I haven't had a driver issue since HD4000 series.

cmi86

Distinguished
I agree with eklipz330 that I don't understand what all this "AMD has bad drivers" talk is all about. Within memory I cannot recall any instance where I have had a driver related performance issue with an AMD card. CF was buggy and still needs a little work but that could honestly be my only gripe and that gripe is fixed for 99.9% of CF users. I can however remember a certain GPU manufacturer releasing their 196.75 driver back in 2010 that killed a massive amount of GPU's and if that wasn't enough it seems that the 320.18 release in May 2013 is also well known for killing cards. I have not personally experienced issues with either companies drivers but can confidently say I have heard a lot more about compatibility/stability issues on nvidia platforms.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Wasnt this the same when GTX480/580 out?

seriously reference GTX480 hot and noisy also + $50 for 10% performance backthen. Driver on AMD are as good as Nvidia, better sometimes(no crashing like Nvidia 320.)

I repeat again, IT is a reference card. DEAL with it. Dont like it? wait for custom card.

cmi86

Distinguished
BTW Laststop311 the 290X is stomping 780's and titans not even running at full clocks, wait till some 3rd part cooling solutions start coming around and this thing runs at full clocks all the time, maybe even overclocks. The difference is going to be a lot more than 10%. I don't care if the 290X is $50 more now because it is still faster by a considerable amount and that price drop just goes to show that Nvidia was intentionally raping us and that's good business in my eyes.

Lessthannil

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
This isn't suprising, given the popularity of AMD APUs.

NVIDIA simply doesn'tr try in low end GPUs anymore for good reason; its hard to make money off of it if you dont putit with a CPU on the die, it seems like.

Ignoring all of the doom and gloom about NVIDA, this isn't actually a problem with "price gouging/raping". NVIDIA charges the price that they do because they are a business who is trying to make money while paying the high price of R&D and maintaining good drivers.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I was from the first time I read it and am still wondering were this AMD driver hate thing is coming from as well. NEVER have I had an issue that wasn't from me trying to OC my GPU too high. From my first X800 PRO to 7970 OC, not one driver issue... Makes me wonder if its operator error. Same for the complaints about the switch from monthly to roughly quarterly driver releases to provide more mature(quality) coded drivers. Now that makes no sense. So far AMD has been quick to release Beta's to solve issues with newly released games.

Side note: I hope this isn't coming from the same analyst saying PC's will "Cease to be Important Game Platform".

Real competition woulds be great for the consumer as we saw with the $150 price drop on the 780s this week. No use complaining about prices .... welcome to capitalism 101 ..... in the absence of competition, prices stay high. The guy / gal who gets the gold at the Olympics makes millions, silver goes home and works at an insurance company.

As a side note, for whatever reason, newegg is not offering the $100 shield discount that was part of the promo .... at least not as yet.

However, before we all get too excited about competition making lower prices an every day thing, be nice to see the breakout..... for example, how much of that 40% is left after subtracting "console sales", other niches and and how much is PC GFX cards.

It's certainly not 40% in GFX cards or I'd think we 'd see at least 1 AMD card in the top ten and more than 2 in the top 20.... AMD makes their first appearance at 14th in most cards hitting steam servers.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

The 290x is a start .... now they need to finish fixing CF and come up with answers to Lightboost, G-sync, Shadowplay ...

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
I also do not understand where this "amd has bad drivers" thing has come from
I have only had issues with AMD drivers because I was using an old ATI card on windows 7
NVidia on the other hand... It was ok with the 275 but then I updated the drivers and it started constantly crashing and then I got the 295 that was constantly at around 70 degrees on both cards (C that is not F)

and my 7970 out performs my friends 680 in most things (both cards overclocked although I managed to get a much better overclock than the 680 the only things it does not perform better in are games optimised for NVidia)

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
Once I see a Gigabyte Windforce 290x OC edition for sale I'm definitely in. Meanwhile prices of the inferior 780s are falling like rocks. $519 on Amazon. Down almost a third and the 290x with good coolers aren't even available yet.

I'm skeptical of heat and noise numbers with stock cooling systems and without some pictures or indications of case, airflow and cpu cooling. At worst case the true enthusiast can always tie strap a Kuhler 620 closed loop cooler onto the gpu card and the cooling and noise issues will most likely be gone. .

In other words, just like the 7xxx series when 6xx series hit and again when 7xx series hit ? .... price drop is 23% by the way.

This is nothing new .... happens every year when the new stuff comes out. Every time the response is "the other GFX company will crumble now" only to see everyone's fortunes reverse a few weeks / months later when the other guys stuff comes out.

As long as they keep leap frogging one another, we all win.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Waiting on Maxwell 2nd iteration of it. I give AMD credit, and have boosted all my friends who already had Radeon cards to upgrade to the 290x. I did my good deed for the year.

Amen brother JackNaylorPE!

This is the first card that actually made me consider selling off my 3x unlocked 6950's. My cards have played every game flawlessly and I don't feel the need to upgrade but a singe card that can outdo my 3x cards with less power draw does raise my eyebrows!

what is this BS about bad hair days i'm literally ALWAYS reading about? i've had like one bad hair day like 5 years ago, and it was MY fault.....

But just because i don't often have bad hair days, doesn't make it so for many many people. Same for AMD driver problems. Understand now?

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
read anandtechs review, it produced more noise, ran hotter, and used more watts than a gtx 780 reference vs reference. I'm a member of SPCR community and noise is one of the most important things to me. I'm not talking out my ass it is a fact goto anandtech.com click the 290x review and see the noise heat and watts. GK110 is more efficient than hawaii its a FACT 100% FACT so shove it.

And yea i did get my wallet raped buying the titan. But I can afford it. I game at 2560x1600 and I will always buy the more efficient gpu. I owned a Radeon 5870 because it was more efficient than the GTX 480. Went from 5870 to GTX titan after upgrading resolutions. The GTX 780 didn't exist when I got the titan. If I could redo it right now yea I'd pay 500 for the 780 over 1000 for the titan that's a no brainer. Still the titan has lasted as nvidias #1 card for a good amount of time and still is and still will be until the 20nm shrink and gtx 800 series, so I'm not too upset.

Will the GTX 780 TI have 13 SMX enabled or all 15 SMX enabled? Seeing 2 different counts reported. Titan is 14 SMX and 780 is 12 SMX. Maybe the TI will beat the titan in gaming performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.