AMD Expected to Regain Market Share

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
Intel dominates the business market, i doubt the marketshare is that close in the personal computing

for heavens sake we need AMD to be relavate, without them intel will just kill all innovation and just cash checks

mjello

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Intels most feared competitor is ARM.
They rule smartphone and tablet market.
ARM has multiple suppliers.
And they will soon enter the small and light notebook space as well.
And eventually the fullsize notebooks will see them too.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]Intel dominates the business market, i doubt the marketshare is that close in the personal computingfor heavens sake we need AMD to be relavate, without them intel will just kill all innovation and just cash checks[/citation]

Agreed! I'd love to see AMD gain some market share. They're unappreciated as is, and I love their chips. No CPU monopolies please!

Assmar

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
[citation][nom]mjello[/nom]Intels most feared competitor is ARM.They rule smartphone and tablet market. ARM has multiple suppliers. And they will soon enter the small and light notebook space as well. And eventually the fullsize notebooks will see them too.[/citation]
But in the mean time doesn't AMD have an exceptional net/notebook product in Llano?

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Who's getting the other 7.3 %? No way niche sellers like IBM, Oracle, and VIA are accounting for 7.3% market share.[/citation]
It depends on what they're defining as the "processor market". If they're looking strictly at desktop/server/workstation market, I'd have to agree with you as neither IBM or VIA have anything in the workstation or desktop market...and VIA doesn't exist in the server market. If they're looking at the actual processor market....VIA has a rather healthy foothold in the embedded market powering POS (Point of Sales) systems and ATM machines.

I think there is a problem, here.

The numbers cited are not really 'market share' --- the numbers are 'revenue share'. AMD microprocessor unit sales in the channel were up and, IIRC, their margins were in the 45% range. Intel, of course, has higher margins.

The most pertinent issue for AMD going forward (among many) is to generate more cash from the video side -- hopefully, the 7XXXs will do that.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
AMD's APU line, makes the Intel's Atom processors look silly. Hopefully manufacturers will catch on and will see more Fusion based notebooks - possibly tablets too. I wouldn't mind seeing some home servers with an E-350 too.

iubyont

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Makes sense. For the general public, Intel's CPU itself is too overpowered and the GPU is too underpowered. AMD has found the better balance. I'd still suggest that anyone who spends significant time gaming, who desires top-tier gaming graphics/framerates, or who does CPU intensive tasks such as video encoding, the person should get an Intel CPU. For everyone else, get an AMD one.

fir_ser

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Hope the best for AMD and so far thing are promising, hopefully AMD will put some pressure on Intel and push innovation in the CPU market.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Intel isn't afraid of anyone..lol They own the CPU market. ARM should be the one that is afraid on Intel taking their market share. AMD has been and will be irrelevant in the CPU market.[/citation]

Funny.. It seems Intel's getting it's ass handed to it in the portable sector. Just like we are waiting for AMD to release something competitive in the desktop department, we are waiting for Intel to release something competitive in the portable department.

Intel's not going to be stealing much market share anytime soon from ARM.

web11

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2009
I agree that we should support AMD. their processors are pretty good and the last thing we need is a monopoly on the CPU market.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]If you need your computer to do anything of relevance get an 2nd i5/7. If you want a netbook or value PC/Laptop get a Llano. Llano will not make AMD relevant again in the CPU market no matter how many videos it releases.[/citation]

What do you consider to be an activity "of relevance" exactly? You don't need a Sandy Bridge to do spreadsheets or write documents; I would say those are pretty relevant tasks.

What you mean are tasks that are processor intensive. Not many people doing that kind of stuff really.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]fullofzen[/nom]What do you consider to be an activity "of relevance" exactly? You don't need a Sandy Bridge to do spreadsheets or write documents; I would say those are pretty relevant tasks.What you mean are tasks that are processor intensive. Not many people doing that kind of stuff really.[/citation]

Dude, better just not feed the trolls.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know, if they got a mid/high end gpu in the cpu, improved the drivers to make them closer to crossfire levels of performance boosts, i could easily see amd being more than a budget cpu for gamers.

it would be great as something to tide you over till you got the money for a great gpu, it would be an extra push for when you did, and would allow a crossfire like performance boost without the crossfire/sli premium (motherboard)

pyrozen

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
AMD is due to see a decent chunk of market share slide there way in the last two quarters of this year. If you got any extra $$$ i would suggest buying in now while shares are hovering near $7. They're pegged by most analysts to be headed towards $9-$9.50 by the end of the year, which is a great short play. I bought in at $7.50, but i know I'm in great shape.

And to anyone saying these processors are "weak", most people do not shop around for each and every piece inside of there desktop/laptop. They want something already put together that works well. The Llano series chips meet that demand perfectly, and at a good price point.

When was the last time you individually picked out each piece of your next car purchase? Gear-heads would call that blasphemy, but to normal drivers it makes sense. Take a little perspective!

whatisupthere

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
[citation][nom]pyrozen[/nom]AMD is due to see a decent chunk of market share slide there way in the last two quarters of this year. If you got any extra $$$ i would suggest buying in now while shares are hovering near $7. They're pegged by most analysts to be headed towards $9-$9.50 by the end of the year, which is a great short play. I bought in at $7.50, but i know I'm in great shape.And to anyone saying these processors are "weak", most people do not shop around for each and every piece inside of there desktop/laptop. They want something already put together that works well. The Llano series chips meet that demand perfectly, and at a good price point.When was the last time you individually picked out each piece of your next car purchase? Gear-heads would call that blasphemy, but to normal drivers it makes sense. Take a little perspective![/citation]

I agree! I got some last year at 5$ and think I will get some more at 7$.
I think it could even be good for longer term also.

pyrozen

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]whatisupthere[/nom]I agree! I got some last year at 5$ and think I will get some more at 7$.I think it could even be good for longer term also.[/citation]
lucky bastard! I'd saw when shares were low but I lacked the funds to purchase some at the time. I'm still very confident that the both of us will be very happy by Dec 1st though!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]It depends on what they're defining as the "processor market". If they're looking strictly at desktop/server/workstation market, I'd have to agree with you as neither IBM or VIA have anything in the workstation or desktop market...and VIA doesn't exist in the server market. If they're looking at the actual processor market....VIA has a rather healthy foothold in the embedded market powering POS (Point of Sales) systems and ATM machines.[/citation]

Actually, even including that market, VIA has never even dreamed of reaching anything near 5%. They do better in third world countries, but it's still a very low number. No way they get near 7%. They would be ecstatic to get .7 %, since most indicators have them around .3 %. 3/10ths of a percentage still adds up to a decent total considering the size of the market, but, these numbers must be off. Maybe they are throwing tablets in there now or something, but clearly some kind of explanation is warranted. AMD seems very, very low. I think they have the numbers wrong. Intel numbers seem about right. AMD numbers seem at least 5% low, and probably more like 6-8% low.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Intel isn't afraid of anyone..lol They own the CPU market. ARM should be the one that is afraid on Intel taking their market share. AMD has been and will be irrelevant in the CPU market.[/citation]

Good luck with that instruction set. x86 is a pile of crap, and it's not a competitive instruction set where size and energy efficiency are extremely important. x86 Decoders not only slow down the processor, they make the die bigger, and the power use higher. When you're looking at tiny, sub-watt processors, it's too big of a penalty at least for the near term. Thus Intel's failure so far.

[citation][nom]pyrozen[/nom]AMD is due to see a decent chunk of market share slide there way in the last two quarters of this year. If you got any extra $$$ i would suggest buying in now while shares are hovering near $7. They're pegged by most analysts to be headed towards $9-$9.50 by the end of the year, which is a great short play. I bought in at $7.50, but i know I'm in great shape.[/citation]

I just picked some of it up about a week ago at $7.06 for exactly the same reason. They're a $9 stock - and were at that price until a couple months ago - but their shares are deflated recently due to short-term hype. But this is really not a short-term game we're talking about. It's about being solid in the next 9-12 months, which they're very well positioned to do.

What I'm really kicking myself in the butt over is not getting a piece of OCZ when it was at $1.89 a few months back. That one hit $10 not too long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.