AMD Faces 32nm Challenge; Cuts Q3 Revenue Forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
THe Interlagos have been out for some time now... how come we don't see enough benchmarks? Are people bored, they don't have any time or no one has bought any yet?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]darkguset[/nom]THe Interlagos have been out for some time now... how come we don't see enough benchmarks? Are people bored, they don't have any time or no one has bought any yet?[/citation]
?... Interlagos hasn't launched yet, but from what I've heard it's taking priority over FX and Opteron 4200 series processors, so we should see them soon.

jdwii

Splendid
I want to see bulldozer i hope they will release in the middle of October like that guy from Amd said. I hate GF they suck if only Amd could use TSMC for their dozer's then they could also be made in 28nm die. We would of seen the bulldozer back in june if it was not for GF.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Hiniberus[/nom]1) Architectural problems, we're actually getting B1 stepping because B0 had some problems which was the June date.[/citation]

We're actually getting B2s, with another stepping due early next year.

This is not looking good for AMD at all. Bulldozer is delayed (presumably due to this as well) and Llano isn't turning up in expected quantities. AMD needs a way to get out of this downward spiral.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Forecasting an increase so little can only mean that they're not going to have bulldozer released this quarter..
And yea, amd. Investors don't like having to wait longer than expected for their processors. Under-promise and over-deliver. (although that might be even worse with your releases)

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
I find it rather stupid how investors drop stocks when the slightest problem arises. If they were smart they would invest MORE so the company could have more money to FIX the problem & have better success later down the line.

AMD stock advise from ME:

Buy low, keep the stock.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
If I had some spare money I'd consider investing in AMD. Given it's a big risk, but I feel they're on the brink of either huge growth or a huge drop based on how well their APU's work out primarily. If GF holds them back it doesn't matter how good the product is though.

Any semi-informed computer salesman knows that Llano is the way to go selling a laptop to anyone wanting to do even a little casual gaming. If they had managed to keep up supply they could have made a killing for the back to school crowd, but it's probably too late for that by now.

Actually Intel's 'supply problem' was in chipsets, and they were not in short supply - just some percentage with SATA 3 ports not working. However, Intel did announce the problem early, and fixed it in what - 5 weeks?

AMD's 'supply problem' has been going on for a year now with LLano, and AMD waits until 2 days before the end of this fiscal quarter to announce (I guess they fear some sort of stockholder lawsuit?). GF cannot supply enough working CPUs for Llano, which in turn pushes back Bulldozer.

This is one of the disadvantages of selling off your fabs and having to rely on a foundry that has other customers to serve, and apparently did not devote enough resources to fixing AMD's order..

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]?... Interlagos hasn't launched yet, but from what I've heard it's taking priority over FX and Opteron 4200 series processors, so we should see them soon.[/citation]

Not yet, it will fall further before its done. A 50 percent drop in revenues is a terrible sign. Other companies may permanently eclipse them in the lower end market, especially with Windows 8 running on ARM next year.

Saw an article on some other site that R7000 got pushed back to next year as well - so GF's and TSMC's 28nm is a bit behind schedule too, I guess.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
And Intel continues to extend the lead in front of AMD....

Wasn't BD supposed to be released this month? Oh well, what's another delay when they've already had 30 of them.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Not yet, it will fall further before its done. A 50 percent drop in revenues is a terrible sign. Other companies may permanently eclipse them in the lower end market, especially with Windows 8 running on ARM next year.[/citation]

No one in their right mind would run a Microsoft OS on an ARM CPU. I guess I could break out my Pentium 3 and run Windows 8.

G

The company also noted that 45 nm supply of Llano processors was less than expected, due to "complexities related to the use of common tools across both technology nodes."

err, that should be 32nm...

[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]No one in their right mind would run a Microsoft OS on an ARM CPU. I guess I could break out my Pentium 3 and run Windows 8.[/citation]
In fact you could. I have run win7 on a P3 just fine (1GHz and maxed out at 2GB of ram), and 8 is even lighter on the CPU. The OS is not all that taxing on the processor, you just need a good amount of Ram (2GB+ 32bit, 4GB+ 64bit, a modern HDD or storage device to run on, and a good GPU to turn on the pretty lights. Most tablets coming out next year will do this with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.