News AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.0 Heads to 16 More Games

Neilbob

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2014
Good to see, I want FSR to be at least as good as DLSS so I can switch easily to Radeon if I wanted in the future.

When the only way you can really tell any difference is by freeze-framing and zooming in, I'd say it's already pretty much as good.

Uptake is obviously still behind DLSS, but it seems a no-brainer that FSR would be implemented whenever possible. Companies that don't are probably receiving other 'special benefits' :)

Reactions: SyCoREAPER

KananX

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 11, 2022
When the only way you can really tell any difference is by freeze-framing and zooming in, I'd say it's already pretty much as good.

Uptake is obviously still behind DLSS, but it seems a no-brainer that FSR would be implemented whenever possible. Companies that don't are probably receiving other 'special benefits' :)
Yes I was mainly talking about availability in games, I’m aware that FSR 2.0 is pretty comparable to DLSS now. Maybe should have worded it differently.

AgentBirdnest

Respectable
Jun 8, 2022
That's awesome news!! I love how upscaling has become such a heated competition over the last couple of years. Each brand's technique looks great. I usually can't tell the difference at higher settings, but even on medium settings, I'm not picky about sacrificing a teeny bit of fidelity for a smoother framerate and the ability to extend the usefulness of my video card.
I have an RTX card, so it doesn't personally matter to me if a game uses DLSS or FSR - but I'm rooting hard for the latter because I want everyone to be able to upscale. I wonder if Nvidia will eventually drop exclusivity for DLSS (if that's possible?) if FSR gains more and more steam.

It was the other way around actually. Like it or not FSR still being associated with AMD. implementing FSR still promoting AMD itself. Some company did not want to do that unless they get paid because for them there is no way for them to do "free marketing" for other company. One such example was the FSR implementation on FC6. we know FSR SDK also available for console. In wccftech interview with Ubi they ask Ubi if the console version will also going to implement FSR. Ubi said FSR is exclusive to the pc version of the game because the partnership between Ubi and AMD is for the pc version of the game. The most ideal way to go with this upscaling tech is for it to be integrated directly into 3D API so game developer are not involved in the marketing war between IHV. but sometimes integrating the features inside standard 3D API like D3D or Vulkan also a sure way to kill the tech like what happen with DX12 mGPU.

Reactions: KyaraM
That's awesome news!! I love how upscaling has become such a heated competition over the last couple of years. Each brand's technique looks great. I usually can't tell the difference at higher settings, but even on medium settings, I'm not picky about sacrificing a teeny bit of fidelity for a smoother framerate and the ability to extend the usefulness of my video card.
I have an RTX card, so it doesn't personally matter to me if a game uses DLSS or FSR - but I'm rooting hard for the latter because I want everyone to be able to upscale. I wonder if Nvidia will eventually drop exclusivity for DLSS (if that's possible?) if FSR gains more and more steam.

Nvidia can do it but if they do AMD GPU will still not be able to run it. It might be able to run on intel gpu though. Because the idea of DLSS is to make tensor core more useful in gaming workload. Yes DLSS can run on shaders but that is something that nvidia have no interest to pursue unlike what intel want to do with XeSS.

Reactions: KyaraM

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018

My stance exactly and the same goes for cellphone cameras, unless it looks straight up bad, or doesn't perform, it's a win no matter which is superior on paper.

I give AMD props for making the tech available to Nvidia cards and the FSR2.0 comes to consoles, we will really see it take off.

TRENDING THREADS