AMD Foundry Spinoff Named GlobalFoundries

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
AMD didn't have the product catalog necessary for its own plants (they started off as a fab plant duplicating x86s for IBM after all). In the end, I think this will work out well for AMD. They can focus purely on design, and allow the new company to focus on fab. Plus, bringing in additional customers means faster tech advancement and more efficient throughput. I think this is a good sign for AMD.

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
From a cash flow persepective it's good. The debt they need for each equipment upgrade is no longer on AMD's books but Globals. It assures the viability and probably stock price of AMD proper very well. Though I don't know the chances of Global doing anything but breaking even?

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
The bitch about this industry is that you always have to keep investing and moving forwards. If you stop researching or spending billions on your fab, you're dead in the water.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
This can only be a good thing I think. More people are involved in thinking ahead now, so likelyhood one of them has the right ideas for the future that comes to be the present is higher.

roholidays1

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
The good thing is that finally after a long period, the plant will be opened to US soil. The outsourcing was about to kill the ecconomy, and let people without jobs, while creating jobs for other 3rd world countries, like US workers don't need jobs...

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
imo the best qualified people should get the jobs, instead of people from specific origins. Nationality is just an entry in your passport anyway. These days it doesn't matter if you're from the ukraine, brittain or brazil. If you speak english, german, spanish or french you can work anywhere. And if you're good at it, you should get the job instead of someone less qualified. That would perhaps make 'locals' more inclined to pay attention and try their best.

ps. ofcourse it's annoying to potentially lose a job opportunity to an 'outlander', but the company benefits, and perhaps you could be the outlander. Eventually it's always annoying to be the loser, but someone has to if there aren't enough jobs for everyone. (not a problem in denmark. We don't have any unemployment to speak of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS