AMD Fury X And Fiji Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

AMD Hawaii GPUs have been powering the company's flagship graphics cards for over 18 months now, and the technology behind it has been around even longer. The new Fiji GPU is quite different, offering High-Bandwidth Memory and a much smaller footprint.

AMD Fury X And Fiji Preview : Read more

revanchrist

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
Fury Nano = 85-90% of Fury X
No, this is not speculation. Wccftech claim they're told directly by AMD.
wccftech.com/amd-radeon-r9-nano-detailed-features-fiji-gpu-175w-tdp-single-8pin-connector-sff-design-faster-hawaii/

milkod2001

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
iDid expect proper benchmarks to be all over Internet on DAY 1 of official announcement. It's Day 2 and we still have only lame preview here :(

Don't get me wrong im not blaming Tom's for this, just curious what's taking so long? Availability in 6 days and we still don't know what we are getting. Can AMD get one thing right?

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
I am very curious, if this is the Tonga style GCN 1.2 architecture, or they upped it to 1.3; and if so, what changes have been made to it?

Does anyone actually have a 4k 60Hz display without DP1,2? So why the fuss about HDMI 2.0 ...
The people who usually complain are the ones with 4k TVs, not 4k monitors.
And there are the people who complain about the lack of DVI, they are the ones with Korean monitors.

blackbit75

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
"From what we're told, VR will require similar (if not more) performance to sustain at least 90 Hz refresh rates for upcoming HMDs"

Just marketing, if not, they will not make VR games on Xbox & PS4 in the future, and it will be made.
In my opinion, if there isn't games yet, it is because games companies sees this technology as a niche, without any successful development yet. More investement to develop games in a market seen as an experiment for them (EA, etc.).

Depends much, much more on the game, than the characteristics of the GPU. Actual mid-high end GPUs could handle actual games in VR to fit 90FPS, just adjusting settings on the game.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Well, if VR is going to be that demanding. I won't hop on i till it matures. A R9 390X should be sufficent. If it isn't. I'll let the VR boat sail by!!!

dave_trimble

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
The air-cooled cards, by comparison, are expected to scale back as their heat sinks and fans are saturated with thermal energy.

I like your style. It's called overheating.
The air-cooled cards, by comparison, are expected to scale back as their heat sinks and fans are saturated with thermal energy.

I like your style. Do you also describe Nvidia cards, which throttle in exactly the same way when they reach their temperature threshold, as overheating? Or are you equally pedantic across all brands?

This much power used, implying lots of heat, strongly suggests to me that this launch will be a[nother] FAIL from AMD. I'm really disappointed. I had hoped for solid performance needing minimal power, and this series, even if performance is good, will reach such a tiny (and shrinking) niche that it will do nothing to inspire confidence in AMD.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
"From what we're told, VR will require similar (if not more) performance to sustain at least 90 Hz refresh rates for upcoming HMDs"

Just marketing, if not, they will not make VR games on Xbox & PS4 in the future, and it will be made.
In my opinion, if there isn't games yet, it is because games companies sees this technology as a niche, without any successful development yet. More investement to develop games in a market seen as an experiment for them (EA, etc.).

Depends much, much more on the game, than the characteristics of the GPU. Actual mid-high end GPUs could handle actual games in VR to fit 90FPS, just adjusting settings on the game.

Oculus has stated that games running on the Rift will need to sustain a 90Hz refresh rate (read: 90fps) at the high resolution of 2160x1200. This far exceeds the standard 1080p @ 60Hz that most gamers are used to. A GTX 970 / R9 290 or better is what Oculus is saying developers should target thier minimum spec.

90Hz has been widely accepted as the mininum needed to do away with motion sickness.

Sony's Morpheus is being developed for 120Hz refresh.

Large game companies aren't investing in VR yet because there isn't a large enough install base. Look at what happened with Nintendo, they didn't sell enough consoles for the big guys to develop for them. They can't get thier money back from the investment.

Same problem with VR development, and it's why we're seeing much more indie VR content so far. After VR headsets are in the market, we'll see much more motivation to build for that platform.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Until actual benchmark numbers come out, there's not much point in getting excited for their features yet. AMD really needs something big if they don't want to keep losing market share. I hope Fury will be that since the rest of their 300 line is a yet-again rehash.

iDid expect proper benchmarks to be all over Internet on DAY 1 of official announcement. It's Day 2 and we still have only lame preview here :(

Don't get me wrong im not blaming Tom's for this, just curious what's taking so long? Availability in 6 days and we still don't know what we are getting. Can AMD get one thing right?

Yes. Not having review samples in the hands of reviewers prior to a products retail launch is a big red flag. It's been the hallmark of so many bad products. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed here.

ccarroz

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Does anyone actually have a 4k 60Hz display without DP1,2? So why the fuss about HDMI 2.0 ...
The people who usually complain are the ones with 4k TVs, not 4k monitors.
And there are the people who complain about the lack of DVI, they are the ones with Korean monitors.[/quote]

Yes, I have a 4k TV so the lack HDMI 2.0 is kind of a deal breaker. Also that new 43" 4k Vizio M at $600 looks like it would be great for the office monitor. Also a little bit disappointed at the 4gb max on these cards but yet the 390X has 8GB options... There are already games that use up to 6GB @ 4k. I would have gotten 2x 980s a long time ago to drive the 4k TV if it wasn't for the 4GB limitation or would have gotten 2x 8GB 290Xs if it wasn't for the HDMI 1.4 limitation. Should be a great card for one of those 1440p 144 hrz FreeSync monitor though.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
AMD has benchmark numbers so why the hell don't they release it?!!! This reeks of hype and poor performance. I really hope I'm wrong but it doesn't look good. If the performance is solid then AMD has the worst marketing campaign in history and everyone in their marketing division should be fired.

SpicPeso

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
It can't be 400 amps. That's most of your house amps there!!!

They are most likely talking about the current supplied to the gpu core. Core voltage typically runs at 0.8-1.1V, so 400A at that voltage isn't as crazy as it sounds.

HBMv2 wont be out until next year. Everything AMD is doing with the Fiji core uses HBMV1.

The article also says the HBM stacks are 256MB... That is wrong. Each HBM stack on the Fiji interposer is 1GB. that is how the 4 stacks account for 4GB of memory.

As far as VR, there are DOZENS of gaming companies actively working on VR games. They understand that you need to create a demand for the VR headsets, and they are working hard to get that done.

AMD has said several times that the Fiji GPU was designed for 4K gaming, and that there are things both in the silicon and in their drivers that make sure 4GB of memory is enough for 4K gaming.

The reason everything in the 300 series is the same reason Nvidia is still using the 900 series. Both companies had plans to go to 20nm technology. And in the end, TMSC never created the technology that would work well for GPU's on 20nm. Apparently it has been created on 16nm though. Both AMD and Nvidia have apparently taped out their first 16nm chips. Those are expected to be available in roughly a year.

And finally, 275 watts (which is what the Fury X is rated at) is 22.91 amps. Not 400. Someone needs to go back to 8th grade electronics class for a refresher.

dxbydt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I wonder if they've fixed their video driver yet to keep it from corrupting the cursor while gaming. It's unforgivable that it's been almost 8 years and the problem still persists across all generations of video cards. So glad I finally switched to NVidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.