AMD Fusion: Brazos Gets Previewed: Part 2, Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

ares1214

Splendid
Looking extremely impressive AMD, where as before you were a full gen behind, now id just say half gen. Make BD a big success, and you will most definitely get back in the game, however i doubt it would be enough to take the lead.

G

did you realize that sometime it's as fast as the i3 with 2,2ghz?

frederico

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
If an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the Intel

The only people "in the know" are in the enthusiast segment of the market, which is a very small slice really.

Its a constant uphill battle for AMD, but then again, if they didn't exist, we'd all be paying through the nose for slower processors

G

I don't like when Tom's trow at us many facts from the AMD crowd to brainwash our mind. I don't like when the game is to convince the community to buy something who is not proved again.

"The new AMD Fusion developer "trust fund" is actually a great way to start chipping away at the current CPU-heavy mentality." Yeas and we are also GPU-heavy mentality too!!!

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Who the hell plays games on a netbook? Another spectacular fail for AMD.[/citation]

Probably not a lot of people, but when netbooks have the capability to play at acceptable levels for the masses, they will be great.

gxpbecker

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Nifty, an the best thing about AMD making high end competition for intel is price drops lol, if AMD can pull it off.

hannibal

Distinguished
Even more interesting would be a tablet that can be used to play games!
So it could mean that we can read e-mail, read e-books watch movies and internet pages and even play with tablet-PC. Netbook is just one step ahead... Yep it is not the same as Nvidia 460, even 350 or amd 5650 from the low end (gaming), but the resolution would be smaller, so it would be possible.

Let see what we get when this is really out.
All in all it gives people a choice. Need more CPU and very rarely GPU power... take intel... If you don't need so much CPU power, but need GPU power chose AMD. It's good to have altenatives!

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]frederico[/nom]If an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the IntelThe only people "in the know" are in the enthusiast segment of the market, which is a very small slice really.Its a constant uphill battle for AMD, but then again, if they didn't exist, we'd all be paying through the nose for slower processors[/citation]
The average user either picks Intel or Apple. And when the user picks Apple the CPU manufacturer is absolutely out of question.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Umm people whom play wow needs a quick fix in between other things?

Those kind of people would indeed like a extremely portable gaming device, hell if they have a deal with some sort of internet on the go then maybe I will take the bus + subway and not drive to work.

On other news you guys used 3.4.0 wow?! Patch 4.0.1 dropped in 12 of OCT and you can't get on the official servers w/o updating, are you guys using a private server?! Or even better a blizzard sanctioned low lat testing server?!!!!

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sireangelus[/nom]did you realize that sometime it's as fast as the i3 with 2,2ghz?[/citation]

But against what is soon to become Intel's "old line." With the release of Sandy Bridge and a whole new architecture, AMD is going to need to have solid performance, at least enough to match Intel's previous offerings.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]Looking extremely impressive AMD, where as before you were a full gen behind, now id just say half gen. Make BD a big success, and you will most definitely get back in the game, however i doubt it would be enough to take the lead.[/citation]

You mean a half gen ahead? Cuz this stomps atom into dust and intel has nothing close.

eyefinity

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]But against what is soon to become Intel's "old line." With the release of Sandy Bridge and a whole new architecture, AMD is going to need to have solid performance, at least enough to match Intel's previous offerings.[/citation]

Intel's "old line" is mostly on the same 32nm process of Sandy Bridge so it's not like intel has some huge miracle coming up, just a few percent more. They still have nothing close to this performance per die size and watt.

[citation][nom]theholylancer[/nom] On other news you guys used 3.4.0 wow?! Patch 4.0.1 dropped in 12 of OCT and you can't get on the official servers w/o updating, are you guys using a private server?! Or even better a blizzard sanctioned low lat testing server?!!!![/citation]

It waw probably run when 3.4.0 was the latest version, over a month ago.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Ive been a big fan of AMD and Im really rooting for them. Besides loving the great price/performance ratio they offer, I have high hopes for them and really hope BD and their other offerings are well embraced. We all know what will happen if AMD were to somehow stumble and fail. You think Intel's prices are expensive now...

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Highlighting the name of the item being reviewed in the graphs would be a good thing. Or, place them in the same order for comparison's sake.

fullcircle_bflo

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2010
Most notebook processors are no longer the hindrance when it comes to gaming. I think AMD is taking a smart step by trying to improve overall performance of notebooks instead of just ramping up the speed.

Phoenixlight

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]frederico[/nom]If an Intel processor and an AMD processor were exactly the same - 9 out of 10 'normal' people would choose the IntelThe only people "in the know" are in the enthusiast segment of the market, which is a very small slice really.Its a constant uphill battle for AMD, but then again, if they didn't exist, we'd all be paying through the nose for slower processors[/citation]

100% agree on this not only my family but sometimes friends won't know who or what AMD is, they really need to market themselves more to the general public. Another issue is that they don't hold the highest performance right now so even though Enthusiasts know all about AMD they're not all going to buy their CPU's.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]Probably not a lot of people, but when netbooks have the capability to play at acceptable levels for the masses, they will be great.[/citation]

The masses play Farmville and Mafia Wars. I don't care how good the specs are, you cannot have a quality 3D gaming experience on a laptop screen, not even 17" but especially not 10".

deanjo

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
No h264 decoding acceleration in linux (among other linux AMD papercuts), sigh, completely useless to me and it looks like my ION netbook will do the job for a few more years.

Status
Not open for further replies.