AMD fx 4300 overheating issue

basileus85

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Hi, i bought a budget cyberpower GUA3100A gaming desktop on amazon last year and i have a few questions about upgrades, mostly concerning cooling and power supply

my specs are:

AMD fx 4300 quad core 3.8Gzh (not overclocked)
amd radeon r7 240
2x 4gb DDR3 RAM
1 TB HDD
gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2

a month or so ago i had to replace the stock cpu fan after it gave up the ghost with a cooler master hyper t2 i bought, and never used, for a previous pc. I've since noticed the case fan (120mm) is also dead.and the cpu tends to run as high as 79C under load (modded minecraft is the only game it runs that high). I know that AMD temp readings are a bit wonky, but get more accurate at higher temps, so my main question is, since i don't notice really any throttling in gameplay, how quickly should i find a replacement case fan?

also any recommendations on upgrades within a reasonable budget? Thanks in advance

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Heat is a killer of electronics and given that you're already way past where that CPU should be, I'd get a case fan immediately. And if you're running a heavily modded Minecraft a lot, that can be a heavy CPU user and I'd strongly consider getting a more robust cooling solution. As for other upgrades, depends on what the budget is and what you're not able to do right now that you wish to do.

Solution

basileus85

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

I can budget about $150-200 for upgrades immediately, and i already have an EVGA 500w 80+ PSU, and an nvidia gtx460 i bought and never used for a previous rig. As for another cooling solution, do you mean water cooling or a higher end air cooler?