amd fx 6300 and asus m5a99x evo r2.0 abilities

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
hi i have an amd fx 6300 unlocked black edition core, with an asus m5a99x evo r2.0 with kingston hyperx blu 2x4gb ram running with a sapphire hd6750 gpu and a pulse power supply model pps-750br and a 1tb seagate sshd hybrid drive and my desktop keeps freezing under load or while watching a youtube video or even while booting and the freezes are completely random and happens doing anything i tought it was the psu so i changed it to a smaller 500w one and it helped for alittle while but now the its just the same and its really frustrating cause i cant use the computer for more than a minute on certain days but it helps when i turn down the frequency of the ram to 1333mhz and the volts to 1.4v it freezes between the 5-20 min mark and i am not over clocking my system everything is running on default, and the bios is at its latest and i also ran hirens boot cd tests on my cpu ram gpu and hard drive and it returned with no errors in either of my hardware and i have foramtted my harddrive many times and put various os's on it so it cant be related to software and i have tried my gpu on another desktop and it works fine and i have also put an ati firepro v3900 in my desktop but it still freezes, so any suggestions...

Solution
if the problem is in your PCI-e slots then you have 2 different problems:
1 - It can be a cpu problem (as you know cpu controls pci-e lanes) but because the cpu is in good shape, the Data portion of the pci-e lanes is good;
2 - PCI-e provides bad power to the GPU -> this is your problem, when the gpu requires more power your psu will only give some to the 6 pin or 8 pin connector, the pcie slot itself provides power to, it this fails you will have freezing or a crash problem (and currently this is your problem)

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

i was playing dying light and hawx 2 on safe mode but it was lagging like anything, but when i try different graphics cards on different slots on my mother board it still freezes oh and i have 3 graphics card slots on my mother board

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
i have tried an ati firepro v3900 instead of my radeon and it still froze and that graphics card is supported by my mother board i checked online and i also tried an old geforce 8400m and it worked abit better but it still froze

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
okay so i just installed a clean version of windows 8 on a new hard drive and im using my completely functional firepro on my 2nd gpu card slot and it froze yet again and i have no drivers and no windows updates installed currently

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

i tried 3 different psu's 1 simple 250w one from an acer desktop, a Corsair HX750W Psu, and a bronze level psu i dont remember the brand though but still they all froze, so im not sure that its the psu

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
hi so was testing the 3rd and final gpu slot with my fire pro and it still froze on windows 8 with no mother board drivers, and the only driver that is currently installed is the gpu display drivers...and i have no apps installed other than the apps that come with windows 8 and i have google chrome and steam currently installed and i was trying to play warface and it froze after 1min of switching on the computer.
So do you think that the freezing is cause of the gpu slots on the mother board?

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

doesn't help cause my other hard disk was windows 10 and i removed all the other drivers form that hard disk and it still froze so i dont think it has anything to do with software

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

yeah thats what i was planning to do during the course of this week...but i would need to buy a new mobo for that
i have worked up a list for am3+ compatable mobos that are in my current price range could you help me pick one out (sorry the prices are in pounds);
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P Motherboard = http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00F5R9O46/?tag=pcp0f-21
Gigabyte SKT-AM3 78LMT-USB3 Motherboard = http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009FC3YJ8/?tag=xtremegaminer-20
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard = http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-M5A78L-M-USB3-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B0054U7HIO/ref=pd_bxgy_147_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0C1FC8X6NR4BWYC2MT2W
ASRock N68-GS4 FX GeForce 7025 630a DualDDR3-1866 SATA2 = http://www.amazon.co.uk/N68-GS4-ASRock-GeForce-DualDDR3-1866-SATA2/dp/B013RJKG18/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1454872717&sr=1-16&keywords=amd+am3%2B+motherboard

which one do you recommend?

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015
ohh yeah and i wanted to know what happens if i run my graphics card without its drivers...doesnt it work the same as safe mode cause it doesnt use its 3d technology cause i tried that yesterday and it froze...so i wanted to know can i check whether the pciex16 bus have shorted out cause all my gpu slots are pciex16 and i have three of them with my asus m5a99x evo r2.0

maugusto

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
if the problem is in your PCI-e slots then you have 2 different problems:
1 - It can be a cpu problem (as you know cpu controls pci-e lanes) but because the cpu is in good shape, the Data portion of the pci-e lanes is good;
2 - PCI-e provides bad power to the GPU -> this is your problem, when the gpu requires more power your psu will only give some to the 6 pin or 8 pin connector, the pcie slot itself provides power to, it this fails you will have freezing or a crash problem (and currently this is your problem)

Solution

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

yeah true cause my computer freezes doing anything i could be writing an assignment using word or watching a youtube video no matter what i do it would just freeze.
but one question this also makes the computer freeze during boot? having a bad pcie slot cause the computer also freezes on boot...cause it freezes just before the login screen time to time or it would freeze trying to restart the computer(haven't experienced freeze on shutdown)...and also it freezes on windows update
so this all happens cause of a bad pcie slots?
note: i have tried loading mac os x mavericks and i cant set up the users before it freezes cause the final step in setting up os x is to set up the users

maugusto

Reputable
Jan 2, 2016
it can be a bad set of capacitors in the motherboard, note that a bad capacitor does not mean that the capacitor itself looks bad, the internal ESR can be too high or the capacitor is open, so for example you have about 5 capacitors do power up the pci-e slot, and one of them is bad, until the other 4 can't provide power your computer will stay fine, but when they run out of power (because the regulators don't make more power if one or more capacitors goes bad, and the capacitor itself cannot go more than the current µ they got (example 1000µ)) the computer starts to have problems.

rohandadhley

Reputable
Jan 6, 2015

ohh okay...that makes sense let me try and get the motherboard and see if that chages anything...thanks for your help i shall keep you posted on the results but in the mean while my friend is lending me his motherboard to test my ram cause my other motherboard is ddr2 ram and my mobo has ddr3 ram just trying out the various possibilities untill my new mobo arrives but i highly doubt that anything will be wrong with the ram.
Thanks a lot for all the help though :)