AMD FX-6300, cooler required?

jayw1

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Hi.

Firstly, I am NOT overclocking, nor playing resource intensive games like Battlefield 3. This gaming machine is mostly for Minecraft and video rendering.
The important specs:

AMD FX-6300
ASUS M5A78L-M motherboard
4GB Kingston HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz RAM
450W dual rail PSU + 120mm case fan
STANDARD AMD CPU Cooler
InWin Mana 136 case (see picture) 1 x rear 120mm case fan, 1 x front 120mm case fan, 2 x top 120mm fans, 2 x side 120mm fans

CDN-IWN-MANA136BLACK.jpg

Will I need a dedicated cpu cooler?
Another thing I'm unsure on, "450W dual rail PSU + 120mm case fan", is this powerful enough?

Thanks.

U should not need an after market cooler, as the stock should be sufficient for just rendering and minecraft. If u think temps r high, u should invent in a cooler like a cooler master tx3 for $20 as I would as i like knowing temps are never too high, and max temp if i remember is like 60c or something near there. My bro in laws 8150 only gets like 50c on the stock cooling under load with bf3 so i mean u shouldnt have an issue

Power supply wise, u did not list the brand, but 450watts is more than enough to power ur system without a gpu, and i could power it with a gpu like a 7770, 650 ti, but u said ur not heavily gaming, so ur setup shouldnt use too much power, but if it came with the case or its a not well known brand id maybe consider getting a new one. If u dont trust it, then the best cheapest quality psu would be a corsair cx430 which is only usually $35-45

jayw1

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
@lazyboy - how easy is it to fit an after market cooler if I decide I need one later on?
@Brett I'm not actually sure, the site doesn't give me the brand. The description of the psu leads me to believe it is an Antec VP-450. This one,

51TCIqsMn%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I find its not to hard to add a cooler later, they usually come with directions, or u can find a video online if its a commonly bought one like a 212 evo or seomthing.

Look on the psu for a model number or something u can type into google

burritobrownie

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I would get an aftermarket cooler with your other build parts. I had to take the back plate off my mobo to install the hyper 212 evo. Removing the mobo later on to install it was not what I wanted to do. It was kind of a pain to install but it was my first aftermarket cooler since Athlon 64 3500+ if that tells you anything......

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You won't need to go to the extra work and expense of an aftermarket cooler for your situation. The stock cooler will do the job. I don't see a graphic card listed. Are you going to be using the on-board video? All the MB has is VGA analog output. No digital.
If the PSU is an Antec, it should be fine.

TRENDING THREADS