Amd Fx 6300 cpu problem with windows 10

Ethoward

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
I've got a custom built computer and I can't seem to run windows 10 64 bit home with my processor overclocked to a point. I'm currently running at 4.1ghz (runs at full usage at around 140F) on all 6 cores with out issues at i think 1.38v. At 4.3ghz (1.38v) the computer bluescreens after long time use and at 4.5ghz (1.4v) windows 10 wont start and go to launch up repair. Im not a 100% sure on the volts i have to check the bios again.

Specs:
Mobo: gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3
Cpu: AMD FX 6300 unlocked black edition 6 cores (Base 3.5ghz) (currently 4.1ghz)
Ram: 16GB
GPU1: Msi r7 370 4g
GPU2: Diamond HD5450 1g
Storage: 4 TB between 4 HDDS, and 2 RW DVD Lightscribe
PSU: 680 watts
Displays: Vizio 32in 1080p Smart TV(Main display connected to MSI r7), 2 HP 2009 1600x900 monitors (secondary and thirdary displays connected to the HD5450)

Solution
That is not a problem with Windows but something that can happen when you overclock a CPU too much. Only thing that would point to Windows 10 being an issue is if your overclock was stable on another version.

Ethoward

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
I got it to overclock to 4.2ghz being stable when intense gaming. And the only errors I've gotten was the blue screen saying like "un-correctable error" something like that i forgot but when i looked up the error i found it was caused by the overclock.

OK so there is no issue really. Crashes when overclocking can happen, it's not an issue with the CPU if it runs on stock speeds or on a slightly lower overclock. Run it at the speed it's stable at.

Ethoward

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Idk what my cpu cooler is but its a huge one that runs at 3000rpms with manual controls. I runs fine at 4.2ghz at 1.368v and when i bench (with cpu-z) it it only reached 140F and i know that quite good with just fan cooling. At idle like using chrome and a few other programs it runs at like 4-10% usage at 65-75 thats cooler then my room most of the time. So i know its not a over heating issue. And I'm overclocking with the bios not a program. The only component in my machine that runs at a hot temp is my 2 Graphics cards which at most run at 165F (when gaming). I just feel like my computer still isn't at full performance.

There is no way (unless you are using some exotic cooling solution) that your CPU will be running cooler than your ambient room temp. Normal temps at idle will be 10-15 c above ambient. So you are getting faulty temp readings. Try using a different program to measure them.

Ethoward

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Im using multiplier and I'm gonna try out increasing the voltage more. Is 1 hour for stability test long enough? I dont want to waste to much time on adjusting the voltages and multiplier.

AOD has stability testing and there is logging option that records most important parameters. Data is also more accurate and reliable than most other programs.

AMD overdrive will be the best for your CPU. Keep in mind that the temp. readings in overdrive show the Thermal Margin (how close you are to the maximum temperature permitted for the CPU), and not the actual temperature. So the higher the thermal margin, the better.

Ethoward

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015

Well in the bios I made sure the computer will turn off if the cpu gets over 185F

TRENDING THREADS