Question AMD FX 6300 overclock 4.4

May 26, 2019
hello i have overclocked my fx 6300 from 3.5 to 4.4 my Motherboard is M5 A97 LE R2.0 i know its not the best Motherboard to overclock but i have a big cooler on my fx 6300 and i have total of 4 fans runing and all vents are open on my pc so there is good air flow and i have done the stress test with prime95 for 30min max 58c and min 21c should i stay on 4.4/4.3/4.2 or can i try to go up to 4.5 i'm fine with 4.4 but if it can take 4.5 it would be nice what do you all think should i stick around 4.0 - 4.4 or can i try to get 4.5 and is 58c to much heat for my motherboard and what decrease should i be worried about sry for my bad spelling :p

DavidM012

Distinguished
no, tho it looks like it's got reasonable power phases and vrm heatsink, there is no significant gain from increasing the overclock another 100mhz you can see for yourself run the cpu-z benchmark you're probably at about as good as it will ever get. At the high overclock you reach a point of diminishing returns so it's not worth the additional stress for an insignificant increase, and the overall overclock doesn't have a huge impact on fps either. I'd stick around 4.2-3 just to stay a few steps back from the brink.

I used to run my fx 4350 overclocked at 4.9ghz and it was ok for 3 years on my sabertooth, but could only really pass the stress test at 4.8ghz but pushing the limits isn't something that can be recommended, do you see any gain in frame rates from the overclock, maybe you get 5 or 10 more frames on some titles, however I found that most of my game inventory worked just as well with or without an overclock, ultimately, there were only one or two glitches in say, elite dangerous in hyperspace that I was always trying to iron out, or maybe one or two glitches in battlefront 2 on high ultra 4k but ok at 1080p, I don't feel the overclock ever had a huge impact on anything, I wouldn't be certain by any means that it's really worth the extra load/hassle/risk.

Also on very hot days in the middle of a heatwave, when ambient temps were 38c, the highly overclocked cpu couldn't stay cool no matter what I did and tripped the thermal shutdown so I had to dial it down anyway. That was really pushing it to failure and in that instance the system was ok, but as I have a tuf sabertooth 990fx I wasn't too worried about it. A lesser board may not fare so well at the extremities of fx overclocking.

the older FX series of processors 'sounded fast' with good clock speeds, but, were still routinely trounced by i3's and i5's running 500-800 MHz less clock speed in most every non-synthetic benchmark that did not merely reward clock speed with higher scores...

May 26, 2019
I would stay at 4.4Ghz with that motherboard, I overclocked my friends FX 6300 with it to 4.9GHz stable, but the VRM heatsinks could burn you with even the slightest touch. May I ask what voltage you are at?

i have 1.4voltage at 4.4 but yesterday i tried to take my ram to 1600mhz but it seems that my pc don't like it and shuts down and restarts i could play for 4hrs with 4.4ghz and 1600mhz on my ram but now today i don't like it just shuts down and restart do you know how i can fix it? i even tried to put 1.41volts and 1.42 but it still shuts down :/ now i have it on 1338mhz and its stable here

DavidM012

Distinguished
I wouldn't overclock a 6300 to 4.9ghz it has a lower base clock than the 4350. 4.4 is about the highest you should go but to run a bit cooler go to 4.2ghz. vCore looks about right for that overclock but you don't want to push it any higher.

What dimms?

List full system specs:

cpu: fx 6300
cooler:
mobo: M5 A97 LE R2.0
Ram:
Gpu:

psu: Make and Model
drives:
Chassis:
Fans:

In Asus bios it has an ai overclock tuner page, on the menu there is a docp profile for the dimms, if you load that, depending on the specs. of your ram, it should run it at the full speed they are capable of.

DavidM012

Distinguished
here's an example of my current bench on userbenchmark.com

and cpu-z bench

Hope it's not too much info but the point of that is to show that you get something but not much from the overclock. It's better than the default boost of 200mhz on 1 core, in my example it's 4.4ghz on all cores, and not much point in going any higher, I could get it to score 272 single threaded at 4.7ghz, but it doesn't have much real world impact on any games in my inventory. 20 points on the benchmark over default clock is nothing for a cpu, totally insignificant.

For greatly increased power consumption & temperature.

psu tier list <- hope your unit is on it!

May 26, 2019
here's an example of my current bench on userbenchmark.com

and cpu-z bench

Hope it's not too much info but the point of that is to show that you get something but not much from the overclock. It's better than the default boost of 200mhz on 1 core, in my example it's 4.4ghz on all cores, and not much point in going any higher, I could get it to score 272 single threaded at 4.7ghz, but it doesn't have much real world impact on any games in my inventory. 20 points on the benchmark over default clock is nothing for a cpu, totally insignificant.

For greatly increased power consumption & temperature.

psu tier list <- hope your unit is on it!

cooler: forgot the name but its a big cooler
Ram: 12GB
Gpu: 750 Ti ftw

i will stay at 4.4ghz but the problem is that i can't get my oc to be stable with my ram on 1600mhz i want them to be there its better for my pc it was stable last night for 4hrs now today it randomly shut down and restarted :/ so i put my ram down abit to 1338mhz around 1300 now its stable :/ dk why my pc don't like 1600mhz

4.4ghz
volts 1.4
in bios

DavidM012

Distinguished
What's the make, model and part number of the ram? If go to userbenchmark.com and run the benchmark and post the results it will easily display your system specifications.

You haven't listed your psu, not sure if you should really be overclocking anyway, however, the memory doesn't need to be overclocked and once we've figured out what it is, we can see if it's 1333 or 1600mhz but I think that you need to enable the docp profile in asus ai overclocker tuner page thing in the bios.

My ram runs at a default ddr3 1333 without the correct settings applied in the bios, however, also take note that faster ram does not have any impact on gaming in fx systems:

Here's an article about hi performance ddr3

The benchmarks show no impact on gaming performance with higher speed memory.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
cooler: forgot the name but its a big cooler
Ram: 12GB
Gpu: 750 Ti ftw

i will stay at 4.4ghz but the problem is that i can't get my oc to be stable with my ram on 1600mhz i want them to be there its better for my pc it was stable last night for 4hrs now today it randomly shut down and restarted :/ so i put my ram down abit to 1338mhz around 1300 now its stable :/ dk why my pc don't like 1600mhz

4.4ghz
volts 1.4
in bios
I'd leave it the way it is if that's the only way it stays stable.

TRENDING THREADS