AMD FX-6300 vs GTX 750 TI Potential Bottlenecks 720p Gaming

What is your opinion for over-all LESS bottleneck potential regarding the GTX 750 Ti and all-around

• FX-6300

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • i3-3220

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

first@home

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Good afternoon. I was just told by someone that the FX-6300 will bottleneck the GTX 750 Ti. To my knowledge, there is not any potential severe bottleneck for this card and CPU combination. I only foresee issues (and minimal ones at that) with poorly-optimized and very CPU-intensive games. Would someone of authority please elaborate on possible bottlenecks, if any, as I would like to have a better understanding of why this person would make this statement.

Please don't discuss another CPU option for this card. I am aware of other CPU options. I would just like the issue at hand to be commented on. If you absolutely must comment on CPUs, mention which i3s, if any, are all-around better (read faster) than the FX-6300. This person also made the statement that his 'i3 is faster' and implied that there would be lesser of a bottleneck with his i3. I assume by i3 he meant an i3-3220. The benchmarks I've seen, though be it a while since I have looked, showed the i3-3220 and FX-6300 performing very similarly and trading blows for certain games that were optimized differently. It is also possible he was speaking of the i3-4130. For an i3 to completely beat a FX-6300, I assumed the software/game needed to be solely single-threaded. Even then, I thought that situation didn't occur often enough to be of consideration versus the number of integer cores; multi-threading; overclocking; and the price/value ratio of the FX-6300.

Thanks for reading this semi-long rant. I look forward to comments being made. :)

This setup in question is at 720p by the way, nothing higher than 1366 x 768 resolution.

Also, If this is more pertinent in the CPU sub-forum, please move it there.
Edit: Looking back at it, I believe this does belong in the CPU sub-forum instead. If a mod catches this thread, please move it appropriately.

first@home

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

That was my opinion as well. This guy, however, seemed adamant in his e-mail. He was insulting a system that I am trying to sell on behalf of a friend of mine. His e-mail consisted of no reasoning, and it had a lack of references. I don't take him seriously at all, honestly. I just thought I'd chime in with the opportunity for others to comment. Thanks for the quick reply.

first@home

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

What exactly are you meaning? Do you have any reference to reviews or articles making this statement as well? Every day is a learning process, but I was under the same assumption as clutchc.

first@home

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

What negative impact would this pose on the system?

first@home

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

Understood. Thanks again for commenting.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

That's not called bottlenecking. That's just CPU headroom. But yes, you can max out your CPU and gfx card together if that's what you like. Personally, I prefer not having my CPU cranking away at nearly 100% while gaming if possible.

Alex1212

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014

Well to my understanding if you have a cardboard box as a cpu and a extremely powerful graphics card the game will only run as fast as the cpu or the graphics card will be forced to slow down for the cpu and vice versa

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ideally, you want to gfx card to run at its full potential and not be slowed down by the CPU. The CPU has other work to do, anyway. If it is busy 100% of the time trying to keep up with the GPU, that is CPU bottleneck.

If the GPU is running at 100% and the CPU is less than that, that simply means the gfx card is able to perform at its max potential. You may want to improve on your gaming experience by upgrading the gfx card, but that is not GPU bottleneck. Games' frame rendering is about the gfx card.

Besides, it's a moot point. The FX 6300 will not bottle neck a GTX 750 Ti, anyway. I have had 2 x FX-6300 in 2 of my my builds. They don't bottleneck until you get into much higher performance cards.

theeon9110

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
All depends on the game you are playing for this cpu and gpu. Like planetside 2 is nor optimized for AMD cpu's and will lag lots but will stay above 30fps on mid settings at least. But every other games i played with my fx6300 and zotac gtx 750 ti i play really good and i am able to lower settings and get a massive amount of fps free. So in a way it isn't bottlenecked. But in a way it is, which is poorly optimization in certain games that don't fully support AMD. But it is a good setup for light to mid settings :3 love it.