AMD FX-8150 Breaks New Clock Speed Record at 8.8 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

subasteve5800

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
We get it. If you disable most of the chip and submerge the rest in LN2, you can achieve a ridiculously high overclock. It's completely unrealistic and useless, but you can do it.

When you get an FX chip (with all cores enabled) running at 8.8 GHz and it can run Prime95 for 24 hours, I'll be impressed.

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I use a AMD-FX machine with Linux on it and I don't see any of the performance problems that I did on Windows 7. Which leads me top believe that the problem is more with Windows 7 not understanding the BD architecture, and not the architecture itself. The Linux kernel seems to be better suited at the moment at understanding the chip. Hopefully Windows 8 will fix it. (that is if Windows 8 will even be worth it.) And I'm still waiting on my Piledriver upgrade, AMD!

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
@subasteve5800 it's prolly liquid helium; I think they use ln2 initially and then after it's at n2 boiling point switch to helium which has a much lower boiling point (something like 4k)

serendipiti

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]subasteve5800[/nom]We get it. If you disable most of the chip and submerge the rest in LN2, you can achieve a ridiculously high overclock. It's completely unrealistic and useless, but you can do it.When you get an FX chip (with all cores enabled) running at 8.8 GHz and it can run Prime95 for 24 hours, I'll be impressed.[/citation]

Well, at least started windows... And 24 hours it's just a question of enough LN... ;)...
I suppose it is more realistic to look at maximum OC with air cooling / liquid cooling (you can get into Liquid cooling just for the money you save over a Core i5, and keep that platform investment over different MB).
I don't think is completely useless, as having some max. clock reference it is at least an indicator of process quality...
Sorry, surely I have a partial review because I can't stop thinking of my first 8088 PC-XT running at 4.77Mhz with a 8Mhz Turbo... And so we got to 1000 times that clock...
I don't think that Pentium 4s architecture is useful to make any conclusion over the AMD chips...

[citation][nom]chimera201[/nom]Do they get money for doing this stuff? or medals?[/citation]
they get to say that they did it. Nothing about is practical or useful. It is just cool :)
Think of it along the lines of 1/2 the stuff done on Top Gear. No, nobody in the real world does this kind of stuff... but it is still pretty damn cool!

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]they get to say that they did it. Nothing about is practical or useful. It is just cool Think of it along the lines of 1/2 the stuff done on Top Gear. No, nobody in the real world does this kind of stuff... but it is still pretty damn cool![/citation]

Then i don't care . And I think it is HOT not cool.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
an 8 core AMD CPU when overclocked to around 4.8GHz, can perform similarly to a core i7 2600k (and even beat it in many cases when the task is highly threaded (mainly workstation stuff that can efficiently use 8 cores)

the core i7 still has the better per core performance, but the AMD makes up for it by the 4 extra half cores.

depending on the board, if you crank up the vcore voltage, pll voltage, htt voltage, with a good chip, you can get a decent overclock on the bus, northbridge, htt, and hit a CPU clock speed of above 5GHz on the 8 "cores"

Benchmarks will always show poor scaling because these CPU's don't have 8 true cores, it is basically clusters consisting of 1.5 cores each (kinda like intels hyperthreading but a little more effective)

if you want core i7 performance out of an 8 core AMD CPU, then overclock to around 4.8-5GHz and you will get mostly the same performance (though you will only be getting about the same performance as a core i7 2600k on stock settings)

phump

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
[citation][nom]chimera201[/nom]even the core i3 2100 beats every (LITERALLY EVERY) other consumer AMD CPU.AMD is still in the market just because of its pricing.[/citation]

Are you aware that a market defined by product AND price?

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]subasteve5800[/nom]We get it. If you disable most of the chip and submerge the rest in LN2, you can achieve a ridiculously high overclock. It's completely unrealistic and useless, but you can do it.When you get an FX chip (with all cores enabled) running at 8.8 GHz and it can run Prime95 for 24 hours, I'll be impressed.[/citation]
ridiculous to who, you perhaps. i heard this same jab made when cpu's were only 8mhz, so i know how silly you sound and look like.
i even heard this line of b.s. from intel fans when the first athlon was overclocked to 1ghz while intel fanboys were choking on their $599 p3 650's. but then again you were already recovering from the cpr when IBM had put out a 1ghz cpu against intels latest p2 333mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.