AMD FX 8350 Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 and R9 280X

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
do you guys think these three will work in harmony or motherboards need changing if yes then to what a good solid budget motherboard please i need a list. thank you

Solution
yeah that's pretty much what I came up

Corsair SPEC-01 case £37.99

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 £68.98

AMD FX8350 £119.99

DDR3-1866 crucial Ballistix 2x4gb £55

WD 1TB £39.99

Asus AMD Radeon R9 280 £187.35

Corsair RM 650w psu £79.99

SH-224DB/RSMS dvd-rw drive £12.21

Off the top of my head the only tool you would need is a small Phillips head screwdriver and you won`t want that until you are sure it all works together,you can build it all on the box of the motherboard before sticking it in the case.

I`ve look on amazon and none of theirs meet the spec of the 1 you could build at that price.

It`s always hard to compare 1pc to another as they all put different bits in as standard the one`s on amazon had some very poor psu`s in them I...

Pr3di

Honorable
If I read correctly, this mobo will not support any 1600 Mhz RAM, so you`ll be limited from this point of view. Also, I don`t think you`ll be able to do any OC with it.
http://www.gigabyte.com.ro/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4305#sp

Try looking for something a bit better, if your budget allows.
Also, are you building a SFF? Or can you go for any bigger size mobo`s?

If you don`t care about lower RAM speed and OC, than yes, they are compatible, but in the future you might find yourself bottlenecking the CPU because of it.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
i probabally wont overclock but i wanna play 1080 hd games on a projector and maybe do some video editing but not too much and i wanna play all games on ultra settings or maybe turn it down abit if bottlenecking occurs. im not too fussy yet, but if you guys say this is abit low level mobo then which ones can be good but not too expensive.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
another one that came in my mind was the amd 760g, its low mobo but i heard you can overclock it. which one is better or shall i scrap them both and go for another one ? bear in mind i wanna run 8350 with a r9 280x

If you are not going to overclock (as in won't overclock), then the motherboard that you chose is fine. But if you plan to overclock in the future, that motherboard will not suffice. And replacing the motherboard later comes with the inconvenience of re-installing your operating system.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
well preferrabally atx mobo, micro is abit less room but i kinda dont mind if prices are similar, what you think abt the amd 760g ? and what power supply PSU i would need to run 8350 and 280x ? any specific less pricey PSU but does a good job ?

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
Hi,

there's a few things you will want to take into account when running a FX8350

if you plan to overclock they require a decent cooler something along the lines of a corsair h100i to reach max overclock,if you plan to use a air cooler the the cooler master 212 evo is cheap and affective but overclocking with this will be minimal. Also you will need a mobo capable of overclocking FX8350 as it requires a lot of power i use a m5a99x evo r2.0,not all 990 mobos will overclock these cpus as they run into a problem with power and cause the cpu to throttle back 990 mobos can be picked up from about £80 new. I think the 970 and 980 will run FX8350 cpu and they are even cheaper. If you decide you will want to overclock and you find a mobo just type in the "name and FX8350 overclock" into Google you normally get a lot of pages that will tell you other peoples expirances with these combos. PSU I have ran a FX8350 with a 550w psu without any problems if you plan to overclock you might Want to go for a minimum of 700w to be on the safe side. PSU selection is an important part of building a pc as everything will draws power from it so you shouldn't skimp on quality,seasonic have a good rep for psu but can be a bit pricey you will find that XFX and corsair sell decent supply's that cost a little less as they are basically seasonics just re badged, Not every psu from seasonc are great it swing and roundabouts as with everything in life. how much ££££`s do you wish to spend on a mobo,cpu,gpu and psu?

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
hi beefy

thank you for your elaborate answers and thank you to everybody else for giving good advise.
this is the specs that I feel might go well, about overclocking im not too keen, because all i want a good fast computer that can run almost all games on ultra with a 1080 hd projector. i managed to sus out a spec im still confused abit on mobo, but from the looks of it if im not gonna OC then i guess its gonna be ok.

this is wat i thought of...

amd fx 8350 4.0
r9 280x
1tb hdd sata
Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3
Any decent case would do
corseir CX600 600 watt supply
8gb crucial ddr3 1600

plus dvd drive and any accessories which ive missed out
no OS i got a windows 8.1 DVD

i saw a prebuilt desktop (just the box) just like this for 590 pounds ? is that a decent price ?

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
ok

that mobo You suggested the gigabyte one has lower max ram bandwith so the fx8350 will not quite hit its potential. The mobo does not support sata 3 for hdd/sdd and ssd would really be held back should you want to upgrade the slowest part of a pc in the future. The psu is not bad but it is the entry level line,I think it comes with a 3 year warranty they do a rm version which I think is basically a seasonic rebranded and it comes with a 5 year warranty so it has better quality components .
also it does not come with keyboard and mouse.

I looked up some parts for building your own pc and for £601.50 from amazon you could build the same machine with a better quality PSU,entry level 970 mobo that supports 1866 ram and sata 3 and the faster ram. but you would still need a keyboard and mouse. If you look and ebay for FX8350 bundles you will see there is a lot offering the Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 mobo which I think performed just as well as their 990 mobos with FX8350.

if you want to think about building your own pc let me know and I will post the product pages from amazon and I`ll be happy to walk you through putting it together and I`m certain you'll have other people willing to give advise. One more thing u might need is thermal grease but You can buy that mx-2 for about £3 and I think my FX8350 had grease already applied.

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
ol im confused as hell now

but not gonna give up.. this is what ive got tell me if its a good build or do i need to substitute anything and also give me your specs in a list

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 £80
fx 8350 £120
r9 280x £170
1tb HDD £40
Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL10 DDR3 £50
Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler £30

For Case and PSU... (worth £60)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaming-PC-Case-With-700W-PSU-4-x-Blue-Cooling-Fans-Card-Reader-Fan-Controller-/271461989947?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item3f34653e3b

(What do you think about the above PSU and the Case ????)

DVD drive £15

TOTAL = £565

do you think its suffice good enough ????
next thing is tools what do I need.... like grease screw drivers etc..

What do you think ?/ anything needs changing or is this good ??

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
yeah that's pretty much what I came up

Corsair SPEC-01 case £37.99

Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 £68.98

AMD FX8350 £119.99

DDR3-1866 crucial Ballistix 2x4gb £55

WD 1TB £39.99

Asus AMD Radeon R9 280 £187.35

Corsair RM 650w psu £79.99

SH-224DB/RSMS dvd-rw drive £12.21

Off the top of my head the only tool you would need is a small Phillips head screwdriver and you won`t want that until you are sure it all works together,you can build it all on the box of the motherboard before sticking it in the case.

I`ve look on amazon and none of theirs meet the spec of the 1 you could build at that price.

It`s always hard to compare 1pc to another as they all put different bits in as standard the one`s on amazon had some very poor psu`s in them I would not chance them to power my pc for an hour let alone for 5 years.

I built my Fx8350 rig from bits i brought off ebay it cost me about £350 and the only things I brought new was dvd writer and the ram, so if you can manage to build 1 yourself it will allow you to have at least a basic understanding of how it all goes together and works. could save you £££ on the next build.

Solution

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
thank you so much for your help i really appreciate it just a few things i want to confirm so i can buy the parts with peace of mind as i dont have enough knowledge or experience but im getting there

do you think this psu and case is good
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaming-PC-Case-With-700W-PSU-4-x-Blue-Cooling-Fans-Card-Reader-Fan-Controller-/271461989947?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item3f34653e3b

also how did you make your 8350 from 350 thats really cheap

another thing i wanna ask is any 8gb 1600 single module ram is ok ? or any 1866 single 8gb module ok it doesnt need to be any brand to be compatible with the mobo right ?

manicd

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
Just wanted to add that the 78lmt-usb3 works fine with ddr3 1600, 1866, 2133, and the next higher one. It's just marketed wrong. It will go as high as the cpu supports. I have this board. I put 1600 it in and didn't have to change bios settings or anything. Many others have put higher sticks it in.

It's a nice little board. You just can't overlock with the 8350 because it's too power hungry for this board.

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
the case does not look to be too bad but I would not go near the psu its unbranded and they will be making money on it. On the pc you posted earlier it had a corsair cx600 and the difference between that and the RM650 I said about is the cx600 when tested and I mean tested by someone with a strong electric background,when pushed it will only put out about 591watts and the 80+bronze spec is when it is putting out 480watts. the manufacturers play with the wording it`s just the blurrb thats written on the boxes the RM series is newer has better rating and better components and is aimed at enthusiast also has wires that you can take off so the case is less of a muddle when you build you don`t won`t to restrict airflow . any pc part you want you can type into Google i.e. I brought a xfx850w core edition,type "xfx850w core edition review" into Google and it will show you a hole page of different websites that have had the psu apart and gone over the design,the components and the performance and value for money,don`t just read one review read as many as possible about the bit that interests you and also take note of product codes as sometimes they release parts and then notice a problem with them and then release a revised version.

I managed to build mine for that money as I brought the parts second hand. I researched the parts and come up with a short list of 3 psu etc that i consider suitable and how much I would pay for them and then made shore i did not get sucked into a bidding war as i`ve seen part go for £5 less then the new parts on amazon but with no warranty (crazy) and I know enough to be able to check things over,I mean I would never by a second hand psu and put it in my pc without checking the voltage it was putting out as with second hand bits have no warranty and you could claim a refund but its not going to pay for a fried cpu and ram etc. this can happen from new but if buying from amazon they are pretty good about taking things back that don`t work so I think you are best to buy all Your bits from amazon for this build if that's the way you intend to go.

bits i brought of ebay

850w core edition £50
m5a99x evo r2.0 £48
corsair r300 case £30
fx8350 £95
hd6850 £40
new ram 2x4gb 1866 £60
new dvd drive £13
1tb hdd was taken from old pc it was a back up drive

your ??? about memory,you will be better off with 2 sticks of 4gb (2x4gb) as it is duel channel mobo,this ram is what i have in mine and seem to be the best price for any I`ve seen at £55 it is also quicker then the 1600 stuff you were looking at and would match the cpu and mobo spec.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0069OG1RM/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1AUCPBF2P18HS
not all ram is the same even if its rated at 1866 you need to look at the CL rating the lowers is better and it`s not as picky as it used to be certain mobo`s would not take certain ram modules but its best if you stick with the stuff from the link it was the the lowest CL and the timings i.e.9-9-9-27 was the lowest i could find,very good ram yo can check compatibility by going to crucial site and use their memory find table. any more question just post back

beefy

Distinguished
May 22, 2004
forgot to say if there a chance that you will ever overclock don`t bother getting a cpu cooler "evo212" as it will just be a waste of money the stock one will do just fine their just a little louder also if you intent to overclock and you intend to get a water cooler make sure it till fit in the case search google i.e. "corsair 300r h100i" you should be able to find pages about other peoples yes/no`s about cases. also when you buy anything from amazon and it go`s down in price within 14 or it might even be 28 days and you let them know they will refund you the difference!!!

ali1278

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2014
thank you beefy that saved me more money i dont need to buy a cooler, i hope amazon are easy to use and deliver fast like ebay, i never used amazon, i might just check ebay and buy it there even if its abit expensive, so i should use the 1866 ddr3 thats check, and what case you would recommend cse then i wont buy that case and psu bundle i saw on ebay. i want a really cheap case lol but does the job. also that xfx850 psu is abit expensive any cheaper alternatives cse i dont think i would need all that i wont ever overclock i dnt think