AMD FX-8350 Only running at 2100MHz max

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Marshy11

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016
Just today I upgraded from an AMD FX-6300 to my FX-8350 (new) and I'm already having problems.

Besides a minor hiccup (I got a little thermal paste on the connectors, but cleaned it as best as I could), I felt that installation was pretty smooth.

However, after playing one match of CSGO...I immediately ran into a problem. My frames randomly dropped from around 250+ to 80ish twice during the game. Tabbing back in and out of the match fixed it immediately.

Afterwards, I ran a Prime95 stress test (blend) and watched it on HWMonitor. I noticed that my frequency randomly dropped for a few seconds. It would dip from about 4000MHz down to 1400MHz. It's temp ran pretty high, at about 64C before it would drop.

After that test, I restarted my PC and to my surprise...I can no longer get the frequency above 2100MHz. Even during Prime95 stress tests, it just stays at 2100MHz.

I have no idea what to do or where to go from here. Please help.

Here's what's in my PC:

AMD FX-8350
Cooler Master Hyper TX3
Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual-x 2GB
MSI 970 Gaming Mobo
EVGA 500W Bronze 80+
Seagate 1TB HDD
8GB RAM

EDIT: After attempting to play CS again later, my game semi-crashed (screen froze, audio distorted, etc) for a few seconds and during this time I noticed HWMonitor reported the temps in the 70C range.

Solution
I was having this same issue EXCEPT my cpu is an FX-6300 and my mobo is an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. However, HDMonitor was showing very similar results to yours and other threads I viewed. The ASUS OC tool, TurboV EVO, was showing the settings I had made on the mobo (oc'd to 4100mhz) but the cpu was showing 1400mhz (200*7). So I went to the manual oc tab and changed the multiplier from 20.5 to 21.0. And voila! The CPUs all changed to aprox 4200mhz. I decided something was going on with this tool suite that was changing the multiplier to 7. So I uninstalled the toolkit, AIsuite II, rebooted and all was well with the world (well, maybe not with everything in the world but at least with my CPU).

Hope this helps.

Marshy11

Reputable
Jan 15, 2016

It kinda just fluctuates from 1400MHz to around 4100MHz during idle and runs around that heat range if web browsing and standard stuff (voip etc) and can run pretty hot during games like CS:GO or anything.

It's kinda weird, because I played yesterday with little-to-no problems besides the one random 200+ frame drop in CS:GO. It still does the fluctuating even during games. And I happened to have HWMonitor running the background when I dropped frames and didn't see it over 65C, but the frequency on all cores was dropped to 1400MHz.

I'm really not sure what to make out of it.

squall-loire

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

This is AMD Turbo Core Technology and/or AMD Cool n' Quiet either throttling your CPU due to heat or slowing cores down when they're not in use (either to allow more power to another core, or simply to save on power usage). Disabling Cool n' Quiet in the BIOS (under CPU Features) will usually leave your clocks locked at 4000-4100 (with single cores rising to ~4200 on demand). Disabling Turbo Core Technology will lock the CPU at whatever ratio you have configured - by default on the FX-8350 this is 20x, giving 4000Mhz.

Hope that helps clear things up a little =)

btovrea

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
I was having this same issue EXCEPT my cpu is an FX-6300 and my mobo is an ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. However, HDMonitor was showing very similar results to yours and other threads I viewed. The ASUS OC tool, TurboV EVO, was showing the settings I had made on the mobo (oc'd to 4100mhz) but the cpu was showing 1400mhz (200*7). So I went to the manual oc tab and changed the multiplier from 20.5 to 21.0. And voila! The CPUs all changed to aprox 4200mhz. I decided something was going on with this tool suite that was changing the multiplier to 7. So I uninstalled the toolkit, AIsuite II, rebooted and all was well with the world (well, maybe not with everything in the world but at least with my CPU).

Hope this helps.

Solution