AMD FX-8350 Piledriver CPU Expected to Launch Mid-Q3

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

analytic1

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
well as i understand it now , its all about instruction sets that the OS uses , and if they reinvented everything processor software etc to work in tandem more effectively , we would have processors beyond the imagination .... I have been reading a lot lately , Intel has not allowed AMD to use any part of the large VEX coding space , so instruction set play the bigger part within making a cpu , so i guess who ever has the greater support from software company's , like Microsoft becomes the best cpu maker .....

analytic1

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Well if amd do end up making the chip that goes in the next xbox , then i have to say microsoft will surely make their software amd friendly in the very near future , maybe this is some kind of testing process , i am looking to upgrade my cpu in this moment , but will wait until i hear more news from microsoft and amd before i make a choice , i do like the sound of a optimized 8 core processor for the one game i play , plus it should last way into the coming years , but i am just waiting to see what direction everything is going , i guess my needs are not so great so a middle of the road processor with a great price tag suits my needs , really waiting on the next APU's to be released and also what improvements are made within software and hardware ... Haha i wonder what type of processor we will need in ten years time , i am sure they are not making robots for the household anytime soon lol ....

[citation][nom]analytic1[/nom]yes your right but now i am getting to understand more and more why this is the case , and it's because instruction set used and proposed by intel and amd over the years , like when intel failed with net burst this is when athlon had the upper hand and intel followed suit with what amd had to offer within instruction sets . amd proposed sse5 and intel said no because that would have to change there chip design , intel now uses avx and amd xop , although i don't really understand all of this in detail , i now understand why the fx chip is as slow as it is ... but i am going to say the fx chip has great potential , would be really interesting if some type of sub instruction set was built into the arm chip within a cpu to control how the core where used , like scheduling , but maybe this is way in the future .....[/citation]

FX supports AVX. XOP is AMD's extension to AVX that Intel lacks. AVX is hardly used in consumer applications and even other applications except for encryption and other such workloads, so no, it doesn't even play a large role in general performance at this time. FX is slow because AMD's designs for FX's masks are poor. The architecture, instruction set support, and such aren't the problems. The sheer crap designs are what holds FX back and they do so to an extreme. Computer-designed die masks, crap cache, crap memory controller, crap many other things.

analytic1

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
I guess if i want performance i got to pay , but still my computer needs are not that great , i can say a fx is out of the question and will most likely go with a APU although i am starting to get the idea a i7 3770k will last forever .......... Crap is just the same a rubbish .....

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]What's the point of all this AMD bashing? If you don't like AMD, there's always Intel. But whatever you do, let's not hope that Piledriver is an epic failure. Because if it is, AMD might lose whatever competitive edge it has right now, and Intel will be the only company making consumer CPUs. Intel has already killed the low-end overclocking market with their Pentium and i3 series. You guys talk about the E-series of Core 2 Duo processors, but that was an era ago. It means nothing now. Intel has also been switching sockets like crazy (1366, 1156, 1155, 775, 2011, etc.). Intel has overpriced its products. The i5 2500K is 20 dollars more expensive than the vanilla i5 2500. Do you think it really costs $20 per processor just for Intel to hit a switch and make it unlocked? That's $20 of pure profit right there.Whether you like AMD is immaterial. Whether Piledriver whoops Intel, I don't care. From the looks of it, Piledriver won't be whooping the i7 3770K, but I don't care. As long as Piledriver gets here in Q3 and puts the fire to Intel's feet, I'm good. It'll force Intel to move on and offer bigger performance gains rather than give us paltry 4-6% gains (e.g. Ivy Bridge). You guys can excuse Ivy Bridge as a tick or a tick+ but that's BS. Companies should strive to give us all they can. If they can give is 4-6% gains, good. But if they can give us more, they should give it to us. Intel could easily have given us more performance ... just look at the jump from P4 -> Conroe. A $999 processor getting whooped by a $300 dollar processor. Piledriver can't come sooner. I buy Intel, but I also cheer on AMD. AMD is what makes Intel products worth it. So I don't understand all this Intel-fanboyism. You guys should be hoping that Piledriver kicks some serious butt because then Intel will be forced to innovate even faster - faster than its rather conservative tick/tock cadence. Two years between major performance boosts? 2 years between Tocks? Give me a break. This is technology, for goodness sake. In the mobile industry, no body waits 2 YEARS FOR MAJOR PERFORMANCE BOOSTS. We went from dual-core mobile processors to quad-core mobile processors in NO TIME.[/citation]

This dude deserves some more thumbs up, srsly.
Cant agree more. Even if Ivy shines on mobile platforms, and AMD really is offering really poor/mid class products now, its no reason for bashing and losing your minds to pure fanboyism. Anyway, i am looking forward for Piledriver, and planning on buying if they actually do improve the problem mentioned before (might have great OC capabilities, but cycles are not efficient). If that, and with appropiate pricing, im going all over AMD, man.

Cheers

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
[citation][nom]olafmetal[/nom]Good thing I have my tinfoild hat to protect me from those high Ghz[/citation]
Somebody, please give this man a medal.

deepblue08

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2012
On a serious note, If Piledriver can match i7 2nd generation performance, I would not mind buying their solution for my next pc (if the price is right that is).

sookster54

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
For me it's not about keeping up with what Intel has to offer, but for AMD to offer CPU's capable of what you do today with your PC. I surf & game on mine, I'm still using a Phenom II X6 1090T clocked @ 3.8GHz with DDR2 800MHz ram and a GTX560Ti after nearly 2 years (money issues keeps me from upgrading) and I'm still chugging along with mostly high settings in many new games.

Thing is, FM2 definitely seems to be the future for AMD and the A10-5800K seems to be adequate enough for an upgrade but I want to see what the rest of the Piledrivers are like. I've been a long time AMD user since the 486 and K6-2 days but had a share of Intel systems in between and always ended up going back to AMD.

From what I read, a A10-5800K + HD7750 is probably the best budget bang for buck atm.

An HD7750 is the discreet of choice for the Son of the Trinity A10-5800K APU. A Turks HD6xxx-series would be the choice for the A10-5800K.

And with your 1090T, AM3+ is where you need to go. Thuban's are GFLOP'ing mega-machines. You simply need to be careful spec'ing that DDR3 2400. Keep an eye out for boards with latest IOMMU.

Even better, modern AM3+ motherboards typically come with BIOSs that allow multiple profiles. You can run your 1090T in 2-, 4- or 6-core profiles dependent upon your need.

Integrating USB3 onto the southbridge ain't really all that. AMD board design typically sets aside PCIe lanes for the separate USB3 controller chip. If there is a concern with the USB3 on-board chip, PCIe-slot controller cards are readily available.

PCIe Gen3 ain't really all that, either. AMD -FX AM3+ motherboards have 42 PCIe Gen2 lanes starting around $120-$130. I'm not aware of a current Gen3 motherboard with that many total PCIe lanes.

As an example, an FX motherboard will run 2 graphics cards x16/x16 Gen2. The exact same theoretical bandwidth as x8/x8 Gen3.

With significant remaining bandwidth because of the additional lanes for whatever you may cook-up.

luciferano

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]sookster54[/nom]Well why would AMD continue with AM3+ if there's no USB 3 and PCI-e 3 available for it?[/citation]

Native USB3 isn't a big deal and can be added whenever AMD wants to anyway. The same is true for PCIe 3.0 for AM3/AM3+. Like Wisecracker said, AMD offers many PCIe 2.0 lanes instead of a few PCIe 3.0 lanes, so it's not really much of a loss anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.