amd fx 8350 temp spikes up to 200c

Jul 16, 2018
I want to know how to fix my problem involving my and fx 8350 it has temp spikes when I play game for example when I play Darwen project it will spike to 200c and this intern drops my frames down to 15 or lower this only seems to happen when I play games I just got this CPU today to and it used to happen on my old CPU as well

specs MSI 760GM-P34 (FX) AM3+ AMD 760G + SB710 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard|
gtx1050ti | amdfx8350 | 16xddr3 | 500w of power

Solution
Jul 16, 2018

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's not actually going to 200 celsius or you would no longer have a PC.

What's not helping the situation is you're using a 125W CPU on a motherboard that's completely inappropriate for a 125W CPU - this CPU and motherboard should never have been paired. These entry-level AM3+ motherboards simply do not have the voltage regulator modules necessary to handle a 125W AM3+ CPU. Even when they are officially supported -- and msi doesn't even to try and claim it's supported -- throttling at load in situations like this is common.

The PSU is also a concern. "500W PSU" doesn't exactly sound promising. There are 500W PSUs that are OK to power your equipment with and there are "500W" PSUs that are literal garbage and without information about your PSU, there's no way to say what's what. If you're throwing poor voltage regulation in the mix with a throttling CPU on an inappropriate motherboard, this situation could go bad very quickly.

Jul 16, 2018

what mb whould you recommend me that would fit my needs

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Can you still return the CPU? The 8350's not that big a jump in games; it's single-core speed isn't that much better than the 6300, you'll mostly see a boost in productivity applications. It's hard to throw money into a 2012 platform like this. If you must get a motherboard, look for a 990fx motherboard, but with AMD long moving past AM3+, the supply chain isn't all that good and you'll pretty much have to research whatever it is you can find at a non-crazy price.

Depending on the exact situation, a new motherboard may also entail a new license for Windows.

Jul 16, 2018
i could return it i don't think i could get a better one with the money i have i was also told if i upgrade i would also need to upgrade my ram to ddr4 as well idk if this is true or not

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Honestly, rather than spend yet more money on a motherboard too, I'd return the 8350 and save that money towards a more significant upgrade at a later date. It's your choice, of course, but I don't think you'll get enough value out of this upgrade to justify the money. Assuming $80 for the 8350 and $100 for a reasonable motherboard, $180 would go a long way towards a modern, Ryzen 3 platform that would be far better than anything you can do with this platform.

Solution