AMD FX-8370E Review: Pulling The Handbrake For More Efficiency

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oxiide

Distinguished

I'm aware, but it measures performance not in frames per second, operations per second, or whatever else, but arbitrary "points" that have meaning only when comparing to other Cinebench results. Yes, you have me on something of a technicality here, but its generally used like a synthetic and its best to view it as such unless you're actually using it to judge Cinema 4D performance.

garrick

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2007
The price is not bad but so far I've seen limited availability for these CPUs in some markets so they are hovering around 220 dollars for the FX8370e where I am from which is a tad bit too high.
Prices in the USA seem to be just about right at 200 dollars or even less. Any higher and its not really not a bargain CPU.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
The 8320E is already down to $150 on Newegg. With another $10 discount, it actually becomes a good value as a home server/VM host. Admittedly, this is a very niche use scenario, but it's there. For someone who wants to build a linux-based home server that runs multiple VMs (for things like hosting Minecraft servers, plex media server, personal website, etc), this isn't a bad option with the lower power profile and price point.

The stamp on the heatspreader, "2011" tells ya much of what ya need to know...

Yup. Sure does.
That chip was manufactured in the 29th week of 2014.
dunce.gif

codetrasher

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
Would the 8320E be a reasonable purchase? It is sold for 132€ ($167.5) by Mindfactory in Germany. I am considering three CPUs at the moment: FX-6300, FX-8320 or FX-8320E. I'd like to get one of the 95W rated CPUs so then I should drop FX-8320 out. If you bought one of these two now, would you prefer either FX-6300 or FX-8320E? I mean, I've read many reviews about FX-6300 and it has almost unbeatable price/performance ratio and it overclocks very well but on the other hand FX-8320E has 8 cores/threads, 2 more than 8320E.

So if you bought one, which one and why?

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
It's been a few years since I delved into the DIY PC building situation. I just looked up the AMD roadmap and it doesn't look good for AMD performance gaming enthusiasts. It seems that AMD lost their way and is sort of maybe planning to build up something that may appear in 2016? So if you're trying to stay near the top of PC gaming, you might want to go and build an Intel based rig. That said, does one get any real benefit from 160 fps vs 100 fps? It seems to me that just staying near the top of the video card heap will give you enough gaming performance for another year or so. I was considering all kinds of options for my Phenom II x6 1090T on an ASUS M4A89 GTD Pro system but since it is 2-way SLI/X-fire capable, I've decided to just upgrade the gpu(s). There's almost nothing to be gained by purchasing a higher performance AMD AM3+ mobo, certainly not if you're counting pennies and starting over and building a whole new Intel based system is very expensive and I don't see that it would do all that much to make playing most games a noticeably better experience. I'm not an avid gamer tho, so I may be off base. I'm just playing Minecraft lately and when I go outside and start moving around, my framerate plummets to 20-something and the video turns into a slide-show. All the while, my cpu is barely doing any work at all.

Tony Konnoff

Reputable
Nov 17, 2014
Here IS a summary. CPU's are getting more energy efficient and better. If an AMD CPU cost $100 to $200+ less get 100 to 200+ watts of solar on your roof. Solar panels last over 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.