AMD FX-9590 Freezing Issue

kk2261

Reputable
Aug 15, 2015
Hi, I recently built a new computer and lately whenever I go to play a game my computer just freezes up after a few minutes and I have to hard reset it in order to fix it. It always happens right around 60 C

CPU: AMD FX-9590 4.7GhZ 8-Core
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 ATX AM3+
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Bronze 700W SLI/CrossFire Ready Continuous Power ATX12V v2.31 / EPS v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE
GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 970

oneolblindman

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I am having issues with my FX9590 similar to yours....

My PC is acting possessed. I have messed with building PCs for at least 10 years, and I have never had one act this way.
Best I can figure, is my CPU has gone nuts. It doesn't get that hot with a Corsair h-100 in a Hi air flow case, but it freezes up as soon as it has a little too much work, like installing a program, or running games, as well as some random programs. If I let her sit too long, she locks up tight. I cannot reset...I have to do a boot start.
I thought is was a memory issue, but my MB has built in mem-check, and the Mhz was set too low (something the PC did by itself...I had it set proper). I fixed that, but it helped only just a little with the freezing.I pulled and moved memory around and I pulled out my video card, and tried a different one.

The PC also seems to forget things ---like sound settings, controller settings, and is difficult getting some programs to start.
Hard drives have also been changed, as my SSD files went to Hell........

Only thing I can think of is the cpu had a mild stroke!

oneolblindman

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
I do not think my issue is a PSU issue...I have an EVGA 1200 watt Platinum certified unit that less than 6 months old. The 9590 is known to be a bit of a problem child as far as locking up on some folk......Mine ran like a top for a few months. All of a sudden, everything went crazy.

oneolblindman

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
Correction..it is a 1000 watt PSU.
Anyways, it is acting very weird. I ran a CPU stress test for a short bit, and it ran well, but if I run a game, it freezes, either during the game or exiting. It also did not shut down properly....Windows shut down, but the PC did not....everything was off, but the tower was still running, fans blazing away...until I manually shut her down!

I plan to run a memory stress test, and also re-run the cpu test again, when I have the time to sit with it for a while. If they come back clear, I guess the MB or the PSU would be suspect......the whole build id less than 6 months old, and ran fabulously until last Tuesday...took me most of the week to get it running as good as it is now, which is not that good!

Does it freeze if you run Furmark Burn-in test?

oneolblindman

Reputable
Aug 19, 2015
What I ended up doing, is changing out the CPU to an FX-8350. I couldn't get anything to run long enough to complete a download or installation, but now it is behaving far closer to normal!

I am thinking that a major part of my problem was too much thermal paste, because it was jus t too thick, in my opinion. I switched brands, and went much easier this time. Slowly, everything is returning to normal..........

I used a different GPU test, which ran fine (Valley).