AMD FX Series Processors Hit Pre-Order

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Sadly for AMD, not releasing benchmarks and engineering samples to everyone long in advance is strong evidence that Bulldozer isn't the powerhouse we all hoped it would be. Intel released benchmarks and specs for Conroe many, many months before release and many of us doubted the benchmarks at first because they completely blew away the Athlon in almost every benchmark. If AMD really had such a winner with the the new chip, they wouldn't NDA everyone for so long.

Either way, the new chips will probably be the best bang for your buck CPU seen to date.

beenthere

Distinguished
I love the logic and theories professed... You'll just have to wait a few more weeks to see Zambezi CPUs that OC to 5 Gig.s on air. Then you can decide for yourself if you think you got your money's worth for $300.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
If I see one more Bulldozer article, that provides nothing but paper figures and speculation I am going to SCREAM!

Until Bulldozer is in the hands of the first reputable benchmarking team, everything might as well be BullS**T instead.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Hmm, seems a little odd to be advertising 16MB of cache when these chips only have 4-6-8MB of L3 depending on the model. Looks like they're adding the L2 cache size to the L3.

G

@zloginet
...thats what I was implying but didn't want to link out to another news site...

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Definitely will be getting an FX-8120. I'm sure that thing will OC just as high as the it's other 8-core brethren. I don't care if they don't outperform the i7 2600k. As long as I can do 3D rendering and play CPU-intensive games very well with hopeful 60FPS, then AMD did their job for me. I'd rather take an 8-core CPU for under $300 than a 4-core CPU over $300 even if the 4-core offers the best performance. I want the best bang for the buck :D

[citation][nom]aznshinobi[/nom]OHHH MAHHH GAWDDD! The FX4100 is going to be cheaper than expected! Even better time to upgrade to a chip that can OC so well[/citation]

Hopefully on air. Remember the Phenom IIs overclocked to 7Ghz on LN2 but only would get to about 4GHz on air.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]If I see one more Bulldozer article, that provides nothing but paper figures and speculation I am going to SCREAM! Until Bulldozer is in the hands of the first reputable benchmarking team, everything might as well be BullS**T instead.[/citation]

HEAR, HEAR!

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]zloginet[/nom]Hey Pasero01about you "Cough" record "CLICK THIS"http://www.techpowerup.com/152008/ [...] Speed.html[/citation]

The Pentium IV could clock nearly that high with insane cooling, yet in day to day use the Athlon 64 pretty much destroyed it in every regard. The fact that Bulldozer could run stable at that speed (with increased core complexity) makes me worry AMD pulled a Netburst with the design and pipelines.I'm suspecting more that this generation will another GHZ war with AMD taking the "MORE GHZ GOOD" position instead of Intel.

That sort of speed usually isn't possible without either designing the chip with certain liberties or otherwise having a highly advanced materials design. The Pentium IV could pull it off due to Intel wreaking havoc with the chip's per-clock performance. I doubt AMD has advanced quite -that- much in materials to have such a massive improvement in overclocking in one generation. It would be nice, though, to see them pull one out of their hat and surprise us all.

That's why most of us are waiting for actual benchmarks, not the "OMG I destroyed a perfectly good processor" awards.

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
*sigh* i almost feel sorry for the people amd have suckered into pre-ordering by AMD's overclocking publicity stunt. let's see some benchmarks already! stop messing around AMD & just green light the reviewers to do articles on bulldozer. you'd get alot more pre-orders if people knew the real world performance of these chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.