Amd Fx8350 Can't find stable clock.

DylanV

Commendable
May 1, 2016
I recently tried to overclocking my FX8350. I jumped right into it; looked at a youtube vid for a similar cpu and after about 2 hours, i somehow managed to get a clock of 4.3, with a voltage of 1.4125 or something. which isn't good but hey it worked and i didn't do any tests because it ran. i played games for like 4 hours straight and then went to bed, when i woke up and powered on my p, it started up, and after maybe 45 seconds it froze, and it would do this over and over again. now whenever i try to overclocking, even at stock settings manual it either doesn't make it past windows or freezes my pic while logging in. the only way i can actually use my of at this point, is if i revert my settings back to "auto" and run at stock. and stick is soooo bad for gaming for some reason, like i get drops of 20fps but with the clock i didn't go under 60. Moral of the story: i'm looking for someone to help me overclocking or find out what i should start at, or what my settings should be. or maybe a good guide for my specific cpu and motherboards. I tried looking for a guide but no one seems to use the same as rock board i have to click the 8350, so please any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

srock extreme 4 970
16gb ddr3
and fx8350 black
980ti ftw edition

Solution
I had that board at one point with an FX 8320.
I found the VRM on the board to be to weak to handle my CPU even at stock clocks/auto voltage.
I had to disable turbo and undervolt to something like 1.125v to stop the VRMs from over heating (which caused the CPU to throttle despite good CPU temps), the little heatsink was reaching over 90c even with some airflow from my Noctua NH-D14, who knows that the actual VRM temp was.

IMO you should get a better board if you want to OC.

DylanV

Commendable
May 1, 2016
additionally, is there i way i can monitor my clock speed without having to plug in my second monitor? (i the using 2 because it causes major screen tearing) Thanks!

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
I had that board at one point with an FX 8320.
I found the VRM on the board to be to weak to handle my CPU even at stock clocks/auto voltage.
I had to disable turbo and undervolt to something like 1.125v to stop the VRMs from over heating (which caused the CPU to throttle despite good CPU temps), the little heatsink was reaching over 90c even with some airflow from my Noctua NH-D14, who knows that the actual VRM temp was.

IMO you should get a better board if you want to OC.

Solution