AMD Gives Away Free Chips at Intel Developer Forum

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yhikum

Honorable
Apr 1, 2013
Multiple core vs single core performance is now something we discuss for AMD vs Intel nowadays.

Games, browsers and multimedia programs indeed benefit from single core performance. This is the world of personal computers "AT HOME".

Once you enter working world where there are no games, no movies at high bit rates playing, no win-zip'ing all the time... you realize productivity applications rule that world. Single core performance is very rarely needed in engineering CAD programs, programming/compilation, rendering visual effects and performance servers. In fact multi-core systems is what everybody needs to do calculations in CAD/CAM programs. Java/Ruby/Python take advantage of running on separate thread when not multi-threaded, not hogging whole system while doing their job.

Single core programming is old. Multi-core/thread programming is what everybody is already using. Don't live in a cave to discard it. Games are very small in comparison to all other programs people use everyday. In fact Games are not real performance indicator at all, since there are no standards developed around them for needs and performance (visual vs processing) . The only metric we can apply is judgement of one particular game working better when running on certain hardware.

That woman in the picture looks like she has been asked to join the Hare Krishnas
:lol:

Yeah ... 22nm has worked great so far :sarcastic: hasn't it?

G

Old technology with paprika. I don't like chips out of a can, funny nevertheless. The can design and layout looks stoepid.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
I'm glad they are promoting much more like they used to. I really hope they bring some better stuff like in the athalon days. Intel needs to be pushed by AMD, come on AMD!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
very amusing way to crash the party by amd. some lighthearted competitive humor is always cool. this marketing is also prone to turn heads for the simple fact of how unique an approach it is. very clever.

theres some people here saying "amd is behind on fab process, they suck because of it" and "they arent even trying". you should know some facts about amd before spewing out things like that. amd makes less than 6 billion a year and usually a loss in net income. intel makes (2012) 53 billion in revenue and 10 billion in profit.

amds losses have been the reason they have been falling int he market. even with all these problems they manage to innovate with nearly every product(note, not always the best but they do new stuff from scratch such as the apu, modular cores, 64-bit arm, gcn, etc). intel invests heavily and seemingly only in process shrinking for the most part, which is billions.

do you think AMD has billions lying around to invest in die shrinks every gen? no. they are currently looking to innovate and improve in other areas so they can sell more chips and make a gain. improving node process wont magically make back a multibillion dollar investment, intel just happens to already have a very large customer base, which amd doesnt have. amd made a bet on the modular design, and it failed for the most part at launch and theyve caught up with vishera, theyre second modular gen. the apu is apparently the only cpu bound to turn a profit.

as for steamroller. we have yet to get any solid details on it other than it being 28nm and using some radeon-type design method(dont remember name). vishera 8 core was, for the most part, competitive with ivy bridge i5 and in some cases the i7. haswell didnt bring a big performance improvement to intel, which in turn also doesnt bring a big performance increase over sandy bridge. I have no doubt that steamroller will be a large improvement in performance since its what they have been marketing it for and looks to be the tendency in their other cpu classes. I know theyve marketed in failure before, but they are already familiar with modular designs and have improved consistently with that design to the point where they are optimizing in a really impressive way as seen in their cpus and apus.

where they have always failed is marketing. with this marketing move they just did they were trying to get the business people who were attending the ITC to notice them, and to think they are amusing. they are trying to be likable. its human nature to like what is likable and it will certainly grab interest from the people who will make business with their chips. its lighthearted marketing that doesnt look at all like groveling at a competitors event. its a certain improvement over their other crappy marketing attempts.

alextheblue

Distinguished

As much as I'd like to see that happen, I'm starting to have my doubts. I'd be happy to be proven wrong. We might not see something like that until we see a more unified "FM3" socket, or something along those lines. I was hoping FM2+ Steamroller would have a 3-module (6 core) option, but looks like that's out of the question.

They're getting better at this "dual graphics" option with every generation. Their first attempts at this were really terrible. Also, if they can apply their frame pacing driver efforts to dual graphics in the near future, we may have something really viable in the next generation or two. Especially for laptops.

High density cell libraries, IIRC.

cypeq

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

Why do you even need this ? 100$ gpu is dishing out 4 times the porformance of any integrated component.
Scalability of different architecture components is and will allways be much worse than crossfiring same cards.

After the 100$ mark the performance gains from crossfire with APU will be hardly noticable but you will suffer all problems that 2+ gpu systems inherit. IMHO it's not worth it. With current technology it will never be better solution. The bigger GPU the better... and onboard is tiny like an ant.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Oh dear, look at my claim coming true. I sort of hoped for better out of you Toms commenters... voting down for irrelevancy? hell no, I had a relevent comment in the first part. (haha awesome... part)

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

more b8

Status
Not open for further replies.