News AMD Goes Fishing for Navi 24, Catches a 'Beige Goby'

A quick google search of the "Beige Goby" codename takes me to some boots/shoes/sneakers websites and stores for men and women as well, LOL. :D:p

Anyway, on a serious note, Navi 24 was already rumored before, and I think it did appear in some leaks before as well. Can't recall those articles though. These might land up as iGPUs, and entry-level discrete desktop cards as well, imo.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Anyway, on a serious note, Navi 24 was already rumored before, and I think it did appear in some leaks before as well. Can't recall those articles though. These might land up as iGPUs, and entry-level discrete desktop cards as well, imo.
In the current climate of chip shortages and a large chunk of TSMC possibly shutting down for summer due to Taiwan's water shortages, we may be done with new product launches for the rest of the year on AMD's side.

In the current climate of chip shortages and a large chunk of TSMC possibly shutting down for summer due to Taiwan's water shortages, we may be done with new product launches for the rest of the year on AMD's side.
I would think that AMD could get far more chips on to the market with the smaller dies from Navi 23/24 while using about the same or fewer resources. So although they will be less than ideal GPUs for future games, they could help with the shortage by at least giving people a "fighting chance" at a "decent" GPU that may be about the same performance as an RX 570/580 up to 5700xt performance. That's "progress" for ya...

InvalidError

Titan
I would think that AMD could get far more chips on to the market with the smaller dies from Navi 23/24 while using about the same or fewer resources.
While it would enable AMD to get 25-30% more dies out of every wafer, each chip would likely net AMD less than half as much gross profit. That's why high-end SKUs usually launch first, collect as much of that juicy early adopter enthusiast tax as possible.

Well to be perfectly honest as someone who plays @ 1080P and is fine with 50-60 fps on high these cards might be fine for me even the 1024 shader models 64xx. I'll put the 570 in the mines and dial the settings back to medium.

If I could actually buy one.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
May 15, 2021
Here, beige goby stands for a cauliflower.
Beige = Colour of the vegetable
Goby = Name of the vegetable in India is Gobi
It cannot be related to the desert since the desert is not beige coloured...