News AMD Graphics Cards Will Work With Future G-Sync Monitors

But....why? To allow your vendor-locked lemurs to buy AMD GPUs?

Just stop making GSync modules. They've clearly outlived their useful lifespan. Thank you Nvidia for whatever part you played in getting VRR adopted, but the industry has moved on.

Reactions: King_V

CatalyticDragon

Honorable
Jun 30, 2015
"TFT Central confirmed with Nvidia that future G-Sync monitors will support HDMI-VRR and Adaptive Sync over HDMI and DisplayPort"

You really need to change the title of this post. NVIDIA isn't allowing AMD to use G-Sync. NVIDIA is simply, finally, supporting open standards. NVIDIA trying to rebrand completely open adaptive sync technologies under its own G-Sync name is just plain evil.

Yeah. I was just watching one of the latest Linus Tech Tips videos where he reviewed the LG OLED "GSYNC" TV. Pissed me off even he was misconstruing naming.

And to be fair, I don't think VRR should be referred to as FreeSync anymore either.

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
Let me rewrite the article for you in non-marketing speak:

"nV just completely lost the format war and no one wants to use their proprietary chips anymore. The money they spend on press to shove "GSYNC" word on everything don't help at all. The future is so bleak that they are going to support open standard just to sell the chips to anyone in the future."

Will these new "G-sync" screens even be using a G-Sync module? Like I said when they first started supporting FreeSync displays back in January, it seems likely that they will eventually retire classic G-Sync, in favor of the version of adaptive sync that's based on an open standard and is more universally supported. I suspect next year's consoles will both have full support for adaptive sync, and Intel's upcoming graphics cards should as well, but they are unlikely to support the feature on classic G-Sync displays. It seems likely that G-Sync will just become what "G-Sync Compatible" is today, a certification process for FreeSync displays.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
And to be fair, I don't think VRR should be referred to as FreeSync anymore either.
They're not interchangeable, although AMD took the approach of building FreeSync on top of open standards.

So, any FreeSync display will support VRR with other vendors' GPUs that are also standards-based. However, I think you could have a VESA VRR display that's not technically a FreeSync display, though I don't know if there are any FreeSync features that wouldn't work, or if that just means it wouldn't have any certification from AMD.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I am looking at: Dell 24in G-Sync Gaming Monitor @ https://www.costco.ca/dell-24in-g-sync-gaming-monitor-(2560-x-1440).product.100529456.html

However, after reading this I am a little concerned about running it on my AMD card... any thoughts?
Well, the model number S2417DG is not listed as a Freesync-compatible monitor.

I guess that's a given, since it's a true G-Sync monitor (i.e. not G-Sync compatible). In the worst case, my understanding is that you can simply run it as a fixed-frequency high-framerate monitor, but you aren't likely to be as happy with the results. Maybe this firmware fix will indeed make it work like a normal Freesync monitor, but I'd say that's still a bit of a gamble.

As an aside, I think 24" is on the small end of the range, for that resolution.

My recommendation would be to keep looking, especially if G-Sync support isn't a requirement for you.