AMD Had a Chance to Get Llano Into Apple's Macbook Air

Status
Not open for further replies.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
This is the second article i've read today that was news months ago... I only come here and one other place for news so it's weird that i've heard these things already...

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Good, I can continue using AMD processors and drinking the cool-aid of supposed superiority over Intel.[/citation]
Or the thought by the majority of the tech community that Apple uses under powered hardware for what you pay :lol: Apple didn't plan to do this for performance reasons but because they like to line their pockets with cash, as I assume AMD offered a better price per chip than intel.

That aside it would have been nice as I do want AMD to start becoming a bigger competitor.

thanks glofo for ruining yet another oppportunity for amd.
amd could have been up there with the elites!
hopefully amd gets through to apple with trinity which seems to be a big improvement over llano.

G

if theres a company who can fully take advantage of AMD processors usage to the max, its Apple. Shame it didnt happen tho.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Device Unknown[/nom]It seems every time i turn around there is some sort of issue with Global Foundries. Time to ditch their ass and find another company that can man up.[/citation]

if i remember right, AMD already did but don't quote me on that though

Who? Intel is the only company that makes CPUs like Global Foundries. TSMC might be in the mix too, but they aren't the most reliable either. A fab business is extremely expensive to run and keep competitive.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
When I upgrade from my still good Phenom II 955 (which was $160 at a time when the i7-750 was $215) in about 2 years I will be looking for 8 core piledriver cpu from AMD. Will it be the sexy new hot cpu that everyone talks about? Nope. Will it still be overkill for 99% of the tasks I throw at and at the time and for some time afterwards? Yes. Will it be the best bang for the buck at its price range? Probably.

I have been using AMD cpus since the e-machine I bought in 98 had a k6-III 450 mhz cpu. Not disappointed thus far and its nearing a decade and a half :)

lordstormdragon

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
AMD simply didn't want to be associated with the "lowest common denominator" types. They've maintained their integrity by electing not to become financially tied to the purse-strings of douchery.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
However, the relationship between Intel and Apple may not be as loyal as it seems that intel thry co copy the MacBook Air in with the UltraBook initiative...

zachusaman

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
[citation][nom]omega21xx[/nom]Or the thought by the majority of the tech community that Apple uses under powered hardware for what you pay Apple didn't plan to do this for performance reasons but because they like to line their pockets with cash, as I assume AMD offered a better price per chip than intel.That aside it would have been nice as I do want AMD to start becoming a bigger competitor.[/citation]

the APU's would certainly offer them an advantage, think of being able to not have to work a graphics chip onto a board, would allow apple to get a thinner computer which is the most important thing ever

dealcorn

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2008
I always believe everyone who says "I did my job well but it is the other guy's fault we lost." After all, it could not have been a team failure.

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Too bad for AMD. But you have to be able to deliver on time, and in the volumes ordered. And have a roadmap that can be relied on. Both those are the main reasons they threw in the towel on the PowerPC's.

G

Folks seem to forget that GlobalFloundaries WAS AMD.... and the llano turn-on was handled (or mishandled) by former AMD'ers. There was plenty of blame to share between design and manufacturing. Which is not to say that Gloflo isn't disaster in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.