AMD Has New Interest in Android, Chrome OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
while this makes sense, I can see it making a even bigger mess out of AMD's driver issues. they really need to figure out a way to clean that up and get better drivers at point of release for every new product

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i can see this being an area where AMD would be successful. thye already have experience building ARM server cpus. and if nvidia can make a low powered SoC, Im pretty sure AMD can make something competitive. just hope OEMs embrace their new chips when their out. it will be interesting to see just what AMD comes up with for this since they have a good knack for doing things a bit different and new from the competition.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i can see this being an area where AMD would be successful. thye already have experience building ARM server cpus. and if nvidia can make a low powered SoC, Im pretty sure AMD can make something competitive. just hope OEMs embrace their new chips when their out. it will be interesting to see just what AMD comes up with for this since they have a good knack for doing things a bit different and new from the competition.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
"After facing lackluster results from Windows-based tablets featuring its Z-01 and Z-60 chips"
I own a Z chip, and I can tell you the lackluster sales performance is AMD's own fault.
A rehash of a chip from three years ago, without even a MHZ upgrade is no way to stand out against Intel on the launch of Windows 8. On release these were great chips, three years later they are getting long in the tooth and a new Atom can outperform them in virtually every way (cpu, power, gpu.)
It's not that performance is especially bad on these chips, its that AMD canceled their replacement and attempted to fill the gap by rebadging their existing chips without changing the silicon in the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.