AMD in Acquisition Rumors Again; Stock Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

greghome

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
If Samsung does buy AMD, it might mean the end of fab problems for AMD.... :/
which sadly has been a major source of butthurt in AMD's business for quite a while now.

[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]If Samsung does buy AMD, it might mean the end of fab problems for AMD.... which sadly has been a major source of butthurt in AMD's business for quite a while now.[/citation]

The fab problems are why AMD divested from Global Foundries and partnered with TSMC instead for all their new chips.

Hopefully AMD is on track to have all 4 cylinders firing at the same time since 2006

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
Samsung buying AMD might be one of the best things to every happen to AMD. Samsung has a top-notch fab process and they definitely do not skimp on R&D.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I thing that Samsung and AMD would be a great combination.
As for the license... transferable or not; that should be a minor point
to be worked out between Intel and Samsung if needed.
It may even get Samsung a better deal.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Wow, if Samsung purchases, they will have HD, RAM, CPU and VGA.... goodbye VIA :/ Samsung may soon become the kings of the ITX platform!

AMD is not 'divested' from Global Foundries.

TSMC fabrication allows bulk silicon for the SoC 'Brazos' chips, and it would not be surprising if Kaveri 28nm APUs using SOI wafers would be available from them, too.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
[citation][nom]rpgplayer[/nom]Samsung buying AMD might be one of the best things to every happen to AMD. Samsung has a top-notch fab process and they definitely do not skimp on R&D.[/citation]
Yea Samsung buying AMD might be the things to happen to amd as long as they stay loyal to the amd fan base. Tho I hope it never happens, it would be kinda funny if Intel bought AMD and competed with it self.

"An AMD takeover is one of those stories that just won't go away. Last year, there was speculation that Dell may be interested in buying AMD." I hope DELL doesn't buy AMD, we don't need AMD any worse than it is, pulse we don't dell forcing people to buy a their junk computer's just to get a AMD processor or ATI graphics.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Personally am opposed to AMD being purchased by anyone. Or say someone with alot of cash on hand. Google or FB, I know it's not their domain, but someone who can make a real investment into the company. I see samsung just adding it as another product, they would never turn it back to it's glory days of being better than Intel. They would just look to continue current trend and profit. While a younger player Google and FB , who are looking to diversify have the cash on hand to make the investment needed to not just see it as a cash cow but an innovation house.

[citation][nom]Wisecracker[/nom]AMD is not 'divested' from Global Foundries.TSMC fabrication allows bulk silicon for the SoC 'Brazos' chips, and it would not be surprising if Kaveri 28nm APUs using SOI wafers would be available from them, too.[/citation]

Yes they are divested. AMD no longer owns any stake in Global Foundries. They sold the last of it in March of this year

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
yea i would think that there are only a few companies out there that have the actual cash or need to buy a company like this .. apple.. samsung qualcom dell .. as mentioned but personally the amount of RND that needs put into the processors Adds quite a bit more money to the price tag .. a lot of it falls down to IP patents thats the real value here.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
I've always thought a IBM AMD merger made a lot of sense. Little overlap between companies. IBM get back into consumer level goods. Using in house chips might improve margins on x86 servers. AMD gets IBM R&D budget and important manufacturing tech.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I highly doubt that there is any substance to this rumor. I would imagine Qualcomm as a chip maker would be a more likely buyout target for AMD than it being the other way around. And Samsung seems to be working in other areas at the moment, and again would probably be more interested in buying a Qualcomm to help their mobile products division than buying AMD. I know that people are writing the doom of AMD because of its CPU struggles, but let's not forget that they have a really good GPU line there too. I would rather AMD weather the storm for now and keep working to improve than have them bought out by someone who starts messing with everything and end up ruining what's good and failing to improve on what was bad.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
One problem any company has in buying AMD is Intel. Intel basically lets AMD survive eating the scraps and offal of the market, while Intel commands the market. AMD buyers represent the catfish in the botton, sucking off the bottom, and suffering with inferior hardware because it's all they can afford. Intel lets this happen.

If someone like Samsung takes over AMD, Intel might feel threatened. They might decide they can lower their profits a little bit, and kill the catfish before it gets too big to try to eat from the top. Intel's processors are cheap to make, perform very well, and have great brand recognition. They also own their fabs. Competing against them with AMD designs is only hopeful with the Brazos design. With Bulldozer or Piledriver, because the cost of the chip for the performance is much lower, Intel can easily make this line irrelevant by adjusting pricing.

ATI would still be competitive, but the more processors sold with GPUs, the less of the market for discrete cards, especially as they get more powerful.

I think most companies realize Intel would react strongly to any threat, and that's got to make them a little worried. Or more than a little.

G

I don't think any company needs a license for x86 anymore, they are not using cores that directly execute x86 instructions, instead, the x86 instructions are broken down into a more risc like set of instructions and then executed. You don't need a license if you reverse engineer something. It's been that way since the K5/K6 days. Even Via's license expired with the end of the Via C3 line I think, and no company currently owns a license for using their designs on Intel sockets anymore, remember the K6 / pentium mmx, cyrix mII all using the socket 7 design. And then Via had a socket 370 license. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

Anyways, Is AMD in that bad of shape, they might actually be auctioned off? Well, thats what happens when you don't listen and build an inferior product. Then try and send the company in 10 different directions at once, they really need to fire this CEO. Sucks for AMD.

Status
Not open for further replies.