News AMD Issuing USB Fix for Ryzen Chips, BIOS Patch Coming in Early April

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 12, 2021
AMD announced that it is issuing a fix for the widely-reported USB connectivity issues with Ryzen processors.

AMD Issuing USB Fix for Ryzen Chips, BIOS Patch Coming in Early April : Read more
Also the same issiues like you, i sended the motherboard to RMA but they said that it has nothing, runs smoth :)) , also i don't think they will over bios support for 1000 ryzen series... i have ryzen 2600 so they will not repair the problem for me...the new bios is only for 5000 series

Also the same issiues like you, i sended the motherboard to RMA but they said that it has nothing, runs smoth :)) , also i don't think they will over bios support for 1000 ryzen series... i have ryzen 2600 so they will not repair the problem for me...the new bios is only for 5000 series

AMD stated that most of the issues seems related to Ryzen 3000 and 5000 and motherboards with chipset B450/X470/B550/X570, they haven't said yet if the fix could work or help with issues on a R5 2600.

So, if you have a mobo with one of those chipsets keep an eye on the news (and on your motherboard official page) and find out if the fix may or not help you.

jepeman

Prominent
Oct 31, 2020
Curious to see what kind of performance hit we get this time.
Seems to be a gamble to update Bios with AMD, sometimes memory doesn't work as fast anymore (not stable in XMP in one BIOS version, stable in another BIOS version). CPU clockspeeds dropping with new BIOS versions.

D

Deleted member 14196

Not if I have 10 years worth of applications, settings and whatnot. I think it would take me a week to get everything back up and running. Fixing everything manually, on the other hand, took me less than a day IIRC. Not saying it was easy, though...
I only use virtual machines for development environments and such. Reinstalling windows for me as a snap because my host is just a Windows box nothing else and nothing else is installed on it. all that <Mod Edit> goes in a VM

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: kal326 and Krotow

InvalidError

Titan
When are they going to fix >15 seconds BIOS post times?
I don't get people's obsession with boot time. I boot my PC only once per 2-3 months, it is either on or on standby the rest of the time. I don't turn my computer off unless absolutely necessary because then, it can take me 10+mins to re-load and re-open all the stuff I usually leave open.

Makaveli

Splendid
Seems to be a gamble to update Bios with AMD, sometimes memory doesn't work as fast anymore (not stable in XMP in one BIOS version, stable in another BIOS version). CPU clockspeeds dropping with new BIOS versions.

I haven't seen any of those issues upgrading bioses minus the last one.

I use to get single core boost up to 5050mhz on bios 3001 and now on 3405 its 5025mhz but not really a big deal or noticeable.

Reactions: RodroX

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't get people's obsession with boot time. I boot my PC only once per 2-3 months, it is either on or on standby the rest of the time. I don't turn my computer off unless absolutely necessary because then, it can take me 10+mins to re-load and re-open all the stuff I usually leave open.
These people have obviously never setup up new servers. I'm usually happy with a minute or two reboot of a vSphere host.

Jim90

Distinguished
When are they going to fix >15 seconds BIOS post times? Intel motherboards post in half that time.

Nope, that would be incorrect. Many Intel (and AMD!) configurations post waaay above "15 seconds BIOS post times".
Have a check at your BIOS settings - anything you don't need or can optimise? That takes a fair bit of understanding of your m'board BIOS, though. Then have a check at what is being told to run on start up - not only those task manager items. There's usually always room to improve or compromise more. It is a fine art though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

I have already installed .... 5 or 6 BIOS updates on my Gigabyte B450 Gaming X + Ryzen 5 3600 + 16 GB DDR4 3200MHz and never had any issue, in fact almost on every case the system worked a little better (specially on the early days back in 2019 when Zen 2 was launched).

As for the boot times, I already build a few Ryzen PCs (all diferent mobos - brand/models, and Ryzen cpus and apus), some with HDD or SSD only, others with SSD and HDD, and never had any boot issues either.

Not saying they don't exist, but perhaps it has something to do with some particular and special cases.

Colif

Win 11 Master
startup programs unlikely to effect the time the bios takes to hand control to windows, as no windows running at that stage, start up programs have more of an effect after logon.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
"Ryzen", per se', has no issues that I can see. Apart from the fact that for the last 20 months of service my x570 Aorus Master/3900X/5700XT has suffered no USB disconnect issues, no crackling sound, and no PCIe4 issues--with the PCIe4 5700XT and a recently added Samsung 980 Pro boot drive (PCie4.) Obviously, these are not "Ryzen issues" since most Ryzen owners do not experience them--it seems to be a fairly small group, according to AMD. And it seems mostly related to Zen3--or for people who for some crazy reason choose USB sound cards (Ugh!)

Also, just for clarification, for the people experiencing these problems, it has zero to do with any Ryzen CPU. Zero. AMD has said they will issue an AGESA fix shortly. AGESA does not equal "Ryzen." Don't you just love how Internet media enjoys blowing up very small problems into gargantuan sizes? The quest for page hits thunders on...

In passing, for the past year my Ryzen system cold boots in ~10-12 seconds, including post times (2-4 secs). If someone has 15 seconds of post it's only because he has misconfigured something in his bios that the system must take time to correct each boot before the boot can continue. Operator Error, in other words. I know this because in times past I've done it myself.

Yeah, when I reported this issue their reply was: we do not see problems and cannot reproduce problem.
And then one year later finally we have a fix.
Really hope AMD is not like Microsoft!
This is the reality of software development in general. If the developer can't reproduce the problem with the equipment they have, with the steps you provided, and the dozen dozenth time they've done static analysis, then they can't really do anything about it. Engineers are also not cheap, so the company can't afford to have them look at a problem if the number of people affected is small enough. For all they know, you just had a defective unit. I'm sure you also aren't willing to send them your computer for analysis either.

In this case, the community continued to push on, provided more information, and sometimes this can lead to a fresh perspective that can point in the right direction.

In my case, I've counted at least two instances where I solved a problem that my leads were looking into, but couldn't figure out why it was happening. And only because I either looked at something they hadn't thought of or I knew something they didn't. And it's not to say they were incompetent, but when you're dealing with complex systems, you can't know everything down to the line of code.

Colif

Win 11 Master
AGESA does not equal "Ryzen." Don't you just love how Internet media enjoys blowing up very small problems into gargantuan sizes? The quest for page hits thunders on...
the sky is falling is a common headline whenever a new something is coming. The dooms spreaders know only bad news sells, you never hear anything good. Every new Win 10 version is going to kill your 1st born, cause plagues. They tell you to stop updating just so later they can write stories about these people who got infected by something that had been patched out later, how can Microsoft do this to their users... blah blah blah

Sad thing is people believe it. Its up to us on the forums to say No, its not that bad.

Mar 12, 2021
AMD stated that most of the issues seems related to Ryzen 3000 and 5000 and motherboards with chipset B450/X470/B550/X570, they haven't said yet if the fix could work or help with issues on a R5 2600.

So, if you have a mobo with one of those chipsets keep an eye on the news (and on your motherboard official page) and find out if the fix may or not help you.
I have MSI B450M Gaming Plus, hope they release the firmware AGESA update.

TRENDING THREADS