AMD: It Won't Be About 'AMD vs. Intel' Anymore

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what a sad day for AMD. They have Intel in the extreme markets and putting all their efforts towards getting stuff small enough to battle ARM. And then you have ARM moving towards being big enough to move into the classic desktop and laptop markets.
On the graphics end we have Intel with the HD2000 and HD3000 graphics which is more than enough power for the average home user (and even the light gamer... using the term gamer loosely of course). Then we have nVidia which holds all the really neat technology like Physx and CUDA, and finally making a major effort towards power effeciency for their future lineup (which has been AMD's major advantage other than cost and a more effective duel card solution). AMD is not out of the GPU game yet, but it is looking a lot like their CPU market about 3-4 years ago.
I think what they ought to look into is becoming like IBM. Become all about servers, server architecture, and patent everything under the sun in order to lease the patents to other companies.
My bet is that they will not leave the high end CPU market entirely. In fact I would bet that Intel will prop them up before wiping them out entirely, otherwise Intel would be a monopoly, and would rather not deal with the headaches involved there.

overlof

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Without competition there will no profit for customers! What shall we do if nice i7-3770k will cost 500 bucks not 300 like i7-2600k now??? I dont know/ If Intel will increase their prices it will be very very bad for us. I don't want to pay more for the same.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Why do so many people sound like complete retards. The biggest issue for ANY company is finding the point of sale for their product. This is the level that they 'can' charge that we the customers can afford/will pay. If like many comments have mentioned that Intel suddenly raised prices due to a 'lack of competition' I would not be paying £1000 for a mid range CPU, would you? For years the budget segment has been sub £75, Low-Mid £75-£100, Mid-High £100-£200 and High-Extreme £200+ and this is still true today and AMD hasn't been competition now for over 3 years.

I think praise should be heaped on Intel because they are pushing technology advancements while not having a serious competitor and still keeping their CPUs within established price brackets and lowering power requirements.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Also... Competition doesn't always mean better prices for us customers. Competition between ATi and nVidia for the GPU market is arguably at it's peak and yet for high-end GPUs you are looking at £400+ and more for the Extreme models. This is higher than GPUs have ever been valued at.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]I know Intel is top dog, but still, if they are this far behind Intel, how are they going to compete with anybody else? Imagine how much better ATI would be doing if it didn't have to prop up AMD.[/citation]

um lets see here...... how far behind are they from intel... 30-40% at most, and they are doing what at what? intel takes 30 seconds amd takes 45 seconds... god how could amd even compete with intel when they are that slow, at doing something that in the p4 era probably took 10 minutes.

fact is pcs are fast enough, and in all honesty, the amd cpu side should cost, and they should focus more on the gpu side, and bring innovations on the gpu side to the cpu. i mean the graphics part is the best part of amd right now, make it better, learn from the processes and make the cpus better. and this is assumeing that the current bulldozer doesnt see much improvement in win 8.

the cpu, as it is now, on silicon, will not see much improvement till you get to the 6nm level (i believe thats as small as it can currently get without major problems) i just did the math, if 6nm is the lowest, the cpus will be about 234% - 553% faster than they are now, on die shrinks alone. the real speed bost is going to come from makeing them 3d.

if amd costed and stayed with about a 50-100% preforamance difference, while offering some of the best gpus available, they could really stay in it for the long haul.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
First, I am an admitted AMD fanboy.

That being said, I am concerened about the language AMD is using to express their intent. These statements smack of a company about to bail on some of their product lines (like x86 processors).

This does not bode well for the industry as a whole. Even Intel needs AMD in order to keep some degree of competition alive and well.

Not good, my friends, not good at all....

manu 11

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
amd gave me an opportunity to own a quad core for less than 100$ , i dont want it to just leave its attention towards x86 market. they make really nice mid range cpu's for those who are on budget, if there will be no competition, devil intel will rocket high the prices of its cpu's which i particularly don't want to happen. come on amd, you can still do it.

This actually would likely be a great time to buy into AMD stock.
They are hurting and don't have a lot of worth right now but they are planning a growth stratgie that doesn't rely on them beating Intel... On the other hand though it looks like nVidia will be there new competition. Personally, at this point I would buy an nVidia Terga 2 tablet (Or a Tegra 3 when it comes out) but we will see what AMD can make when the time comes.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Also... Competition doesn't always mean better prices for us customers. Competition between ATi and nVidia for the GPU market is arguably at it's peak and yet for high-end GPUs you are looking at £400+ and more for the Extreme models. This is higher than GPUs have ever been valued at.[/citation]
Not really. The 9600GT was released as a $170 part. Look what you get at that price point now. The 9600GT (poor thing) can barely scratch that performance.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
There comes a time when a corporation needs to face reality. Without some amazing yet to be discovered breakthrough, AMD was rolled by the Intel giant. Size and market share do matter. Sometimes when you have to play catch up, you never can catch up. I do hope the creative minds at AMD can bring us trend setting products in more exploitable market niches. AMD certainly holds it own in the GPU markets and has shown successful and aggressive marketing skill there.

vilenjan

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
This could bring us back to pre-ahtlon days, were the AMD k6 (I-III) were huge bragians when compared to the pentiums or even celerons of the day. They were not sexy, nor as fast, but had a huge performance/$.

I honestly think AMD shot itself in the foot when they outdid Intel with the Athlon64 procs, woke up the sleeping giant :p I dont mind buying AMD in the fuure if they are still the price/performance king, go go underdog :)

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I guess ford and chevy might as well give up too.... No point competing in a market segment that has more than 1 player right ?

Damn this board of directors ...
Now that they got their new puppet CEO, they can scuttle what's left of AMD and collect their big checks unabated.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Actually, you know, Intel can't become expensive and complacent. ARM and Nvidia will be knocking on Intel's door about 2 years from now in a big way.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Bulldozer's issue was its expectation.
AMD gloated it would beat Intel's lineup.

And while it did put up a fight in some areas, its performance is nothing special.
Had there been no expectations it might have faired better.

Tmanishere

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
It's surprising to see so many comments about AMD no longer having grasp in desktop. The fact is, they're only lost a battle in this chip war. I would assume mass market of the CPU industry is not the "enthusiast" class CPU, but a more affordable budget CPU like ARM. Thus, they are merely shifting focus on where they'll take profit.

In a way, they are doing all the PC game industry a favor by introducing more people to PC gaming than before. Kinda like a drug dealer. Give them some taste and they'll be back for more.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Can we all calm down a little bit? All they said is that they're not focusing on a direct competition with Intel anymore. Relax a little bit. AMD isn't completely jumping out the desktop market at all, just shifting more focus to other sectors fo the market. Bulldozer may not have been the blockbuster everyone wanted or expected, but it was a good push for better tech in the desktop hardware market. It's unfortunate that the software market has not advanced in step, and that's AMD's problem - they got too far ahead of the software... Here's hoping that with AMD not trying so hard to throw a new CPU out there after each and every Intel offering they can hit the mark a little better with their own stuff.

Well, that sounded an awful lot like a towel hitting the ring floor. I do agree with Alidan though, that modern CPUs are so fast that with the exception of niche pro markets and enthusiasts, even a 50% speed difference hardly matters.
Intel may very well jack its high-end CPU prices, but with AMD competing elsewhere, they may also not hesitate to drop prices at the low end, since no one will be able to howl that they're "unfairly" squishing their competition.

G

I predicted this would happen. AMD is getting the squeeze from ARM. I said ARM was more of a danger to AMD than to Intel. Intel will ALWAYS have the desktop market and ARM has little chance to destroy Intel on servers as Intel has more IPC there to handle transactions and a low power processor in ATOM that they could use for super low power servers (and their new Larabee like add on card will essentially keep ARM off of servers for a while). The problem is the low end. ARM could put a huge dent in AMD sales at the low end since low end buyers are the ones that often choose AMD and where AMD sales are strong. If AMD doesn't make a more compelling product on the low end, they could get beaten up badly by ARM. Good for AMD! This is essential to their survival. They will still be OK on desktops and servers, but recognize that they can only compete for the low cost server and desktop market for which sales and market share are few.

Status
Not open for further replies.