AMD Kaveri APU to Push Envelope for Budget Mobile Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
the new apus are very promising.
but amd hasn't mentioned pricing, so i am not so sure about "budget", yet. since these will go into laptop class devices, end prices will depend mostly on oems.

zhunt99

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
Knowing AMD, they'll be affordable in price (assuming they aren't a top tier part, which they're not).

I'm glad to see they're making gains again. It seems they haven't been this strong since the Phenom II days, especially after the release of the 1090t and 1100t (the latter I'm running).

joaompp

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
In more practical tests, AMD is also boasting huge performance gains in things as mundane as decoding JPEG files or using Photoshop. The former comes with an 80% boost and the latter with 400% over an Intel Core i5. All without using too much juice.

If this is true, even with a slight 5-10% loss on general computing power, then this processor will make it an excellent platform for digitzer oriented tablets.

Been waiting for something decent, but Microsoft always pairs their Surface Pro with graphically inept iGPUs from Intel. The nonsense has to stop, we can sacrifice some general processing power for some decent graphics power, especially on those high resolution displays.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
AMD needs to make some high-end APUs or CPUs for the mobile market that has a higher TDP than just 35W. Intel goes up to 57W, why doesn't AMD release some high end mobile components to satisfy high end users? They don't care about low power and it would still be very power efficient when idle I'd imagine.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
And I STILL don't understand AMD's naming schemes and marketing.

The APU A10 is not longer their flagship APU, at least in notebooks. It's the new "APU Pro", which have higher frequencies and better GPUs than these A10s ... What's up with that?

Either way, Tom's Hardware should review both the Kaveri A10s and Pros, to see how they stack up to Haswell/Broadwell.

the flagship mobile apu is the fx 7600P. pro is for business/corporate users.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS